Ketone smell

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Ketone smell

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Queen Arya 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Cmcanepa
    Topics: 7
    Replies: 5

Today my friend told me that my breath smelled like Ketones which is like over ripe fruit. She has a diabetic daughter and it is an indicator or blood sugar levels for her. So I read up on it and from what I understand people on a low carb diet will burn proteins for energy and in the process make ketones. And this is very hard on the kidneys. I already have weak kidneys and have slight kidney pain since I stated the diet 7 weeks ago. So I’m thinking that this is a sign that I am eating too much protein. I had chicken last night and it was so good I over indulged. That’s probably the reason for the ketone smell today. So if anyone could confirm or correct this line of thinking I’d be very greatful. I DO NOT want to jeapordize the health of any of my organs to beat the candida. Also is it just animal protein I have to look out for or should I monitor intake of kefir, chlorella, avocados, eggs ect? I’d appriciate the feedback. Thanks.

UncleOxidant
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 56

Yes, a very low carb diet like the candida regimen or a paleo diet is ketogenic and it would not be unusual to smell ketones on your breath.

As for this kind of diet being damaging to kidneys, I’m not so sure. Here’s an article that suggests that a ketogenic diet can help to heal kidneys of diabetics:

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/apr/21/news/la-heb-ketogenic-diet-diabetes-kidneys-20110421

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Normally, a high-fat, low carbohydrate diet is called a ketogenic diet and is the cause of an increase in ketones which can cause ketone breath. With this type of diet the body is forced to burn fats instead of carbohydrates. Try adding one medium serving of some type of dried beans daily to your diet for a while to see if it makes a difference.

How many times a day are you eating chicken, and do you eat it every day?

Able

Cmcanepa

Thanks for the replies. Able, I don’t eat chicken everyday or even that often. I’ve been a vegetarian for 16 years til I started the diet and decided I needed to eat anything that is allowed. I’ve eaten chicken 5 times in the last 6 weeks. But I did over-indulge in it last night because I’ve been so hungry. I’m a very active person and have lost too much weight already on the diet. I read your advice on weight loss and am trying to get the calories in.
    I could probably do without the chicken but I’ve just been looking at my main staples and everything is high protien. Oat and buckwheat groats and flours, eggs, kefir, chlorella, avos and even my favorite veggies like asparagus.
    I’m not eating beans but aren’t they high in protien also? Should I be cutting down on the proteins or does it not matter? I’m a little worried. Thank you for your time.

Able900
    Spectator

Cmcanepa;31819 wrote: I’m not eating beans but aren’t they high in protien also? Should I be cutting down on the proteins or does it not matter? I’m a little worried.

Most of us worried about a lack of protein on the diet, and it doesn’t appear to me like you’re getting too much, but then I don’t know precisely how much of the protein foods you’re eating.

I’m not sure why you think avocados are a high protein food, but they contain only 2.7 grams of protein each (medium size), so if you wanted to you could replace some of the higher protein foods with more avocados.

The type of protein you’re eating is more important than the amount, and it doesn’t appear that you’re eating a lot of animal protein.

During the diet, most of the time I used two types of ‘flours’ at a time; usually it was coconut flour and oat bran. Coconut flour doesn’t have a very high protein count in my opinion.

By the way, I suggested eating beans for the carbs because, if your breath has a ketone odor to it you’re obviously burning fat instead of carbs. The longer your body burns its stored fat instead of carbs the longer you will lose weight – that is unless you can consume enough calories to stay caught up with the amount of weight you’re losing.

Able

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Please tell us what your diet is like and how much food you eat per day. Its very necessary to eat 3-4 course meals or enough food to feel full like thanksgiving.

-raster

Cmcanepa

So I really eat a lot during the day. I’m not currently working and I joke that its a full time job just feeding myself. A typical day would be 2-3 eggs with veggies for breakfast with chicory root coffee, some coconut bread mid morning, lunch might be a giant salad sometimes with a bit of fish, I eat plain Greek yogurt with stevia and cinnamon as a snack and sometimes snack on spicy seaweed, other snacks are raw veggies, buckwheat crackers, dinner might be something like buckwheat groats cooked with various veggies usually another side of veg and either some chicken or some of the bread. I drink kefir through the day and also take chlorella. This of course is in addition to loads of supplements, herbs, and antifungals as per the protocol.
    I guess I just got scared by some things I read on the Internet that had me convinced that I was damaging my kidneys by being on a ketogenic diet. I’m feeling a bit better about it now but I’m not as confident as I was feeling before today. I’ll cut down a bit on the animal proteins and eat more avos (I guess I dont know why I thought they were higher in protien either). I’d hate to give in to the carbs at this point. I’ll also eat more bread. I’ve been making it out of coconut flour, oat flour and buckwheat flour. I really appriciate the guidance.

Able900
    Spectator

Cmcanepa;31830 wrote: So I really eat a lot during the day. I’m not currently working and I joke that its a full time job just feeding myself. A typical day would be 2-3 eggs with veggies for breakfast with chicory root coffee, some coconut bread mid morning

From what I’ve read, I think you’re just not getting enough calories, and you’re right about eating more of the bread.
    You could eat a slice of the coconut bread with your eggs for example, then another slice as a mid-morning snack.

lunch might be a giant salad sometimes with a bit of fish,

That’s not enough calories or fat for a meal. What are you putting on your salad? You could add coconut bread to this with some coconut or olive oil. Are you taking coconut oil by the teaspoon?

There is no reason not to eat the bread each time you have a meal or snack.

Able

Cmcanepa

Oh yes I forgot about the coconut oil. I take 10-15 spoonfuls a day plus I cook in it or olive oil or clarified butter. I’m very generous with these when I cook.
    Ok I will eat more and more of the bread. Thank you.

tamm
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 1

Lots of coconut oil makes ketones. That’s not good because ketones can feed candida (systemically).

Queen Arya
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 3

That makes sense now! my husband told me two days ago that breath smells very bad, we knew it was probably from the diet but I didn’t get why? so now I get it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Ketone smell’ is closed to new replies.