Kefir.. the recipe, help!

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Kefir.. the recipe, help!

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Able900 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Munoz
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 32

Sorry guys, probably have heard the same question over and over, but CAN’T find it, I mastered the yogurt recipe, I love it, but I am willing to try the kefir and I am confused with the grains, the one home made or the the ones come freeze dry, has the forum a good recipe for kefir.

Thank you very much!

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Hello, Munoz.

I just posted this information to another member on the forum.

The post:

Quote: kefir packets are plentiful. I think they contain some kind of powder that you add directly to a carton of milk. They’re not very fiscally friendly, since unlike grains you can only use them once, but would be a good temporary solution.

Reply: The starter is fine. This kefir starter by Body Ecology is a good quality and a good one to start with. Instructions are inside.
    http://www.amazon.com/Ke…d=1323052109&sr=1-1
    There are also instructions explaining how to make it with coconut milk if you want to do that, which is fine.

Quote: Also, is there anything in particular I should be concerned about when picking out coconut milk? Like, is this something that I can buy conventional, or should I stick with organic?

Reply: Thai is a good brand, so is Native Forest. It doesn’t have to read “organic” but if it does, you can be sure it’s of a good quality.

Quote: Finally, I thought kefir contained at least some sugar… so should I be careful how much I eat per day?

Reply: Start out with kefir slowly, a little at a time like you would any other ‘new’ food being added. But the milk sugar is ‘eaten’ during the fermentation process so only a bit of it is left by the time we enjoy drinking it.

If you have other questions just let me know.
    Able

Munoz
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 32

Thanks Able!!

GayBofill
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 34

For Munoz, I too have been on a mission to learn how to make kefir and try it out. I was given some information which I will pass on to you for obtaining fresh kefir grains. There is a website called the Weston A. Price Foundation. The website is geared toward people concerned about eating good food from good farms. It’s got nothing to do with candida but the people there are really into kefir and really into “sharing” their grains. The webiste has a link where you can find individuals who live in your area (via your zip code) who are willing to share their kefir grains with you. I contacted a lovely woman in my area who gave me some however, I had a mishap and dropped the jar (talk about feeling stupid!) so I’m sans kefir. I confessed my error and she graciously offered to give me some more so I’m planning to hook up with her in a couple of weeks. Anyway, it’s a suggestion. Also, I got really into researching kefir online and their is a ton of information, videos on how to make it, all sorts of stuff you can read about it. It’s actually quite amazing to see the followers of kefir out there.

Hope this helps.

GB

Jackie2
    Participant
    Topics: 57
    Replies: 197

What is Kefir? I have never heard of it…feeing kind of stupid??

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Jackie2 wrote: What is Kefir? I have never heard of it…feeing kind of stupid??

Hi, Jackie. Don’t feel bad, lots of people have never heard of kefir.
    To put it simply, kefir is a much stronger natural probiotic than yogurt. The other thing is that yogurt is usually thick and eaten with a spoon whereas kefir is a drink. Also these two contain different types of probiotics. Yogurt normally contains Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Bifid bacterium, Lactobacillus Delbrueckii Subspecies, Bulgaricus, and Streptococcus Thermophilus.

Kefir cultures can contain different strains of bacteria, but normally a variation of Lactococcus lactis, lactis, Diacetylactis, Leuconostoc mesenteroides, Cremoris, Lactobacillus kefyr, Kluyveromyces marxianus var marxianus, and Saccaromyces unisporus. This is another reason kefir is better for us than yogurt, more strains of bacteria.

There’s quite a difference in the taste as well; the taste of kefir can be described as not so sour but more of a strong tang, similar to buttermilk perhaps but so much better and stronger. I think it’s something that you either like or detest. For me, I find it almost addictive once I start drinking a glass. But at the same time, I can imagine many people simply gagging on it in an attempt to drink it. It’s enjoyable when mixed about half and half in a bowl of yogurt with coconut cream added as a thickener (not to mention taste).

Able

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Kefir.. the recipe, help!’ is closed to new replies.