Kefir

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Able900 7 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

johnny22
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 23

Hi everyone. I have been reading the forum since 3 weeks and have followed the diet too since that time. I started with stage 1. Have had this problem for 15 years I should imagine for as a child I used to get really bad stomach aches the cause for which could not be found.

Anyhow now I am having green vegetables, peppers, cabbage, green beans, eggs and yogurt. I haven’t had awfully bad die-off so I have started anti-fungals as well- coconut oil and garlic. I have an ayurvedic liver tonic that hopefully doesn’t contain any sugar as it only lists medicinal plants. But I have been fine with it so far. Didn’t know where to look for molybdenum or Candidate here in India.

Oh, and my dad has been on the diet too same as me except he has oatmeal with a little milk once a day as he has leaky gut syndrome and it was mentioned here that that’s okay.

My question is does anyone know a good website that would ship kefir grains to India? I read Able’s post that said kefir is ok to have on the diet and since I am having yogurt already. I love milk and that’s the only craving I have left although I haven’t cheated. Plus if someone could direct me to a good video link on how to make it.
    Much appreciated. And I just want to thank everyone on this forum and especially Able as whenever I read different posts I take his word as final.

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Hello, Johnny. Glad you’ve found the forum useful.

A few videos on kefir making.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6866295356532402179#

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDx8EwxMluM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6sK1_M6pC0&feature=related

The longer you allow the kefir to ferment, the less lactose sugar will remain in the end product.

Amazon ships to most countries, but only certain items are shipped to other countries such as India, Indonesia, Israel, Kuwait, Latvia, Lithuania, and others. Amazon sells the kefir grains, so I would just submit an order, I’m sure they’ll let you know whether or not they’ll process and ship it.

Were you saying that you Dad eats oat meal because he has the Leaky Gut syndrome? Why is this?

Take care, and please keep us undated on both you and your Dad’s progress.
    Able

johnny22

Thank you for the info Able.

Yes, my dad initially followed the diet strictly and it helped a lot. Like he really lost a lot of fat around his tummy, and he didn’t feel at all fatigued anymore. But it didn’t help at all with his bowel movements.

Anyway the doctors don’t give much advice about what to do and he also got operated last year but it didn’t help So I was reading the post http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst998_Dieoff-IBS-LGS-and-Candida-Connection.aspx

Able –Leaky gut normally causes inflammation, for this you should build up the intestinal flora with soft fibers like rice bran, oat bran and inulin.

so he started having oatmeal 2 days ago. But apparently that hasn’t really helped him with the movements.

My question is that will getting rid of the Candida overgrowth help with the LGS too? He’s avoiding all the stuff on the list of things to avoid for LGS that were given in the same article.

Able900
    Spectator

Johnny, the best treatment for both Candida albicans and Leaky gut Syndrome is strong probiotics and sources of beneficial bacteria, plus plenty of prebiotics to feed the beneficial bacteria.

So treating both with prebiotics/probiotics will definitely help to alleviate both Candida and leaky gut. Normally, it takes quite a while to build up the stomach acid, not to mention the flora, so the sooner anyone gets started on this the better.

The oatmeal that your father is having, is this regular oatmeal from a grocery store or actually oat bran? They’re quite different, and regular oatmeal can feed the Candida.

Both start as ‘whole oat groats’ that are de-hulled and somewhat stabilized to prevent them from going rancid. Oatmeal or oat flakes range in thickness from 0.36 millimeters to 1.00 millimeters. With oat bran, the oat groats go through several rollers that flatten the groats and separate the bran from the flour.
    The nutritional value is different as well; 1/2 cup of oatmeal contains 4 grams of fiber and 6 grams of protein, but a half cup of at bran contains 9 grams of fiber and about 10 grams of protein.

Rice bran flour will also feed the beneficial bacteria acting as a prebiotic.
    Johnny, I’m very interested in what your diet was like before you contracted Candida as well as your father’s diet.

Able

johnny22

Thanks. I guess we will try to get some oat and rice bran then.

Well, our diet wasn’t too unhealthy. He used to eat oatmeal with milk for breakfast. Then chapattis (bread) made of wheat with either a bowl of pulses or vegetables cooked with spices. Same for dinner. Sometimes we would have rice or eggs. Not much meat but we did have loads of milk with some sweetened almond and spice mixture. Oh, and the vegetables etc were usually cooked with mustard oil or ghee. Occasionally, we had really sugary Indian sweets or some fried snacks. And lots of fruit, also yogurt.

I had the same more or less but sometimes I used to get really intense cravings for something sweet or for carbs like burgers.

I think in our case it wasn’t the diet so much. My dad had taken an extensive course of antibiotics when he was in college That’s when he started having sinus problems too. I probably took those too and plus I had mercury fillings which I got removed recently. About 4 months ago I thought I had gluten intolerance and tried to give up wheat. But it didn’t help too much and my cravings were worse than ever.

But we are really thankful for this site because we have never felt so good and so active.

Able900
    Spectator

johnny22 wrote: I think in our case it wasn’t the diet so much. My dad had taken an extensive course of antibiotics when he was in college That’s when he started having sinus problems too.

But we are really thankful for this site because we have never felt so good and so active.

Hello, Johnny.

Thank you for your comment about the site helping you, we very much appreciate you taking the time to tell us that.

I’m sure that the antibiotics played a large part in causing the Candida infestation, but also consider that literally millions of people around the world are taking antibiotics at any given time, sometimes for extended lengths of time, but not all of them contract Candida, so that’s an important fact to consider. And we can say the same thing about the millions who are walking around with mercury fillings in their teeth but without a Candida infestation.
    I imagine that the oatmeal with milk, chapattis made of wheat, and “loads of milk” as you phrased it, eaten on a daily basis contributed to the infestation considerably as well.

Here in the US we consider soy beans as a type of pulse, but if you have these, I would avoid then as well as all soy products while on the diet.

Thanks again, Able

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Kefir’ is closed to new replies.