Is Pumpkin okay?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Is Pumpkin okay?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  raster 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

tmi
    Topics: 13
    Replies: 34

I assume not but thought its worth checking. Is pumpkin off limits? I keep seeing GF pancake recipes that call for pumpkin…

mrs.candida
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 452

If you are following the forums extra strict diet then no, pumpkin is not ok.

It has a lot of sugar and carbs. I make pumpkin muffins once every couple of months, I’m not worried about it. I guess you could say that pumpkin is a cheat food for me.

orka1998
    Participant
    Replies: 673

This depends which stage you are on.

If you just started, I would stay away from it.

When you stabilize your symptoms, you can test a small amount, but keep in mind it has more sugar than some other allowed foods. Some members do eat a small amount in muffins or bread.

I think raster is eating pumpkin and he is improving, but he should respond if he ate it at earlier stages (he is on an advanced stage now close to being healed).

I introduced it when I was at a more advanced stage (like 90% symptom free) but feel that I should do it only occasionally and small amount.

Pumpkin does have lots of digestion benefits.

Decision is yours, how strict you want to be with your died and how quickly you want to get better. The more of foods such a pumpkin you eat, the longer it will take you to recover. If you include it too early, you may get into a closed circle where you feed candida and kill it all the time and in a constant die-off cycle.

Arijana

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I’ve had it every day throughout my whole treatment and it hasn’t set me back; in fact it has helped make me feel better.

The way I look at it, it is possibly very similar to the clay in its abilities to pull out toxins in the body. It’s highly anti-inflammatory and only contains about 8g of sugar per cup; when spread out over multiple meals, this is a low sugar food item.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2918/2

If you make the pumpkin pie muffins, this is a great leaky gut healer because of the cinnamon and various ingredients found within it.

Here are some health benefits of pumpkin:

http://www.bewellbuzz.com/nutrition/pumpkin-health-benefits/

“Anti-Inflammatory Effect – The Beta carotene present in pumpkin seeds and flesh has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Regular consumption of pumpkin can protect against joint inflammation and arthritis. Pumpkins have been known to provide relief from inflammation quickly, without the harmful side-effects of anti-inflammatory medicines.

Great on your skin – The high amount of Vitamin A, C and E as well as Zinc present in pumpkin, make it a great choice for those who want a healthy and glowing skin. Have a cup of pumpkin seeds per day to prevent appearance of wrinkles and to keep your skin hydrated and nourished.

Prevents Kidney Stones – Have 5 to 10 grams of pumpkin seeds every day. This stimulates the kidneys and prevents the formation of calcium oxalate stones.

Depression – Pumpkin flesh contains L-tryptophan, a chemical compound that triggers feelings of well-being and happiness. Having pumpkin as a part of your daily diet can keep your spirits high and prevent depression.

Treatment of Parasites – In various cultures especially China, pumpkins are used to treat infections caused by tapeworms and other parasites.

Diuretics – Pumpkins are natural diuretics. These help in flushing out the toxins and unwanted waste material from the body, leaving you refreshed and healthy.

High Carotenoids Content – Pumpkins owe their bright Orange color to the high amount of carotenoids present in them. Carotenoids assist in staving off the free radicals in the body, and help in preventing premature aging, cardiovascular diseases and other infections. They are also high in Lutein & Zeaxanthin which protect the eyes against free radical damage and prevent formation of cataracts and degeneration of the eye tissues.

Protein – Pumpkin seeds also known as Pepitas are a rich source of protein. One ounce of pumpkin seeds contains approx. 7 grams of protein. Their oil is high in phytosterols or plant-based fatty acids and their chemical composition is the same as cholesterol. Phytosterols can replace cholesterol in the body, and help in reducing the blood cholesterol levels.

Essential Fatty Acids – Pumpkin seeds are a rich source of essential fatty acids, which have numerous health benefits. From providing protection against serious health diseases such as high blood pressure, arthritis and cancer to promoting healthy skin and improving brain power, essential fatty acids present in pumpkin oil offer several health benefits.

Vitamin A – Pumpkin is a rich source of Vitamin A. Regular consumption of pumpkin (both seeds and flesh) can promote the health of your eyes and boost your immune system remarkably.

Vitamin C – Vitamin C helps fight free radicals, improves immunity and promotes the production of collagen. The high Vitamin C content in pumpkins also offers protection against various forms of cancer.

Magnesium – Both the pulp and seeds of pumpkin are rich in magnesium, which is an important mineral required for various biological functions. Magnesium is also required for the maintenance bones and teeth.

Potassium & Zinc – Pumpkin is loaded with potassium and Zinc. Studies show that eating a potassium-rich diet can prevent onset of cardiovascular diseases and hypertension. Zinc is important for providing bone density support for people at risk for osteoporosis. It boosts the immune system and promotes reproductive health.

Fiber – Pumpkin flesh is very low in calories and contains abundant quantities of extremely good dietary fiber. It is extremely effective for treating gastrointestinal disorders such as constipation, indigestion etc. The high amount of fiber also helps in lowering the LDL (bad) cholesterol levels in the blood and in regulating the blood sugar levels.”

The essential fatty acids are very important for your health, especially if you suffer from brain fog.

I think it would be hard to find a food item that brings the same health benefits…

-raster

mrs.candida
    Replies: 452

Raster,

Thanks for the pumpkin info! Did you eat pumpkin seeds regularly during your treatment?

orka1998
    Participant
    Replies: 673

I ate pumpkin seeds almost whole treatment. Had trouble with them at the very beginning, but as soon as I got better I could eat them. And this is something I eat a lot of. I could eat 200g bag per day 🙂 I love them! I didn’t do well on other seeds, added sunflower seeds few months ago, and I didn’t do well on nuts either. This was something I could do and they are so good in terms of fat, protein, omega 3, zinc, iron, biotin and lots more. I do think that perhaps I couldn’t handle them at the beginning because of biotin. I was taking supplement as well and possibly overdosing on it (biotin works as an antifungal). My symptoms from pumpkin seeds at the beginning seemed more like die-off than candida symptoms. Roasted seeds should be fine in terms of mold, I think.

Definitely a test food though. What works for me doesn’t necessarily work for someone else.

Arijana

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

The seeds I would believe are in high mold category so I would roast them before consumption or soak them.

I haven’t had them on my treatment…

-raster

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Is Pumpkin okay?’ is closed to new replies.