Influencing stomach acidity?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Influencing stomach acidity?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  raster 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Floggi
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 425

I’m absolutely no expert on the subject of stomach acidity. Yet, I read lots of things about this on various forums.

The strange thing is, some forums advocate increasing stomach acidity, for example by taking HCl in one form or another. At the same time, other forums advocate decreasing stomach acidity, for example by drinking alkaline water.

What is this forum’s opinion?

Perhaps even more important than the opinion, what is the reasoning that results in this opinion? (After all, if I know the opinion, I’ll be unable to re-create the reasoning; but if I know the reasoning, I’ll easily arrive at the corresponding opinion, because the opinion necessarily follows from the reasoning.)

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

It depends on the person but excessive gas (farting) is a typical symptom of too little stomach acid. This indicates that food is not breaking down very well and is producing gasses (very likely fermenting in the gut undigested).

I take a whole food version of HCL called zypan and it has prevented this from happening…

It mostly occurs when eating foods with protein and your body is not breaking the protein down well.

-raster

Floggi

Okay, that would be one side of the equation.

I’m not taking it for granted yet. Please don’t be offended – this being a new subject for me, I’d like to hear more opinions, if possible even differing opinions, before coming to a conclusion.

Perhaps others could chime in here?

Could you (or others) elaborate on the other side of the equation? That is, when would it be advisable to drink alkaline water, or use other means to lower the stomach’s acidity?

Tdog333
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 245

If I don’t take betaine HCL with protein containing meals I get the WORST stomach cramps. Easily solved by taking a few pills of betaine. I can literally push on my stomach and hear liquid gushing around 4+ hours after eating without betaine. With the betaine HCL the food clears out within a couple hours. With a simple meal of oat bran or carbs I do not need HCL.

On the flip side, I’ve seen numerous studies of people on PPI’s. I remember one said that 75% of people on PPI’s with digestive complaints had SIBO/Candida overgrowth. PPI’s also are known to highly increase the risk of c.diff and other bacterial infections.

One of my theories on how candida can overgrow(besides the obvious antibiotics and so forth) is due to low stomach acid/low bile production/over-eating. Someone eats too much, stomach doesn’t produce enough acid to completely break the food down, it passes into the small intestine. If the individual already has some sort of minor SIBO/candida- the unbroken down food is a feast for those organisms.

Floggi

Thanks, Tdog, for your view.

Now please do not get me wrong. In the next paragraph, I may seem to be “opposing” you, to be “challenging” you. But in reality, all I want to do is ask you (and others who may be reading this thread) what you think of something I read at a different forum.

What I read there is:

If you eat (or overeat), the stomach’s acidity of course drops, because of all the food that’s added. The stomach has nerves that sense this, and these nerves signal the HCl-producing glands to increase the stomach’s acidity. This process continues until the acidity is back to normal.

During the time of insufficient acidity, the stomach’s exit remains closed. Thus, no partially digested food will enter the small intestine.

If (I explicitly say: if) this reasoning is correct, it would mean that taking HCl would only help the stomach reach its normal acidity quicker. Without the additional HCl, it would just take a bit longer for the stomach’s glands to produce the HCl by themselves. Digestion inside the stomach would take a bit longer, but the small intestine would see no difference, apart from the timing of when food leaves the stomach. For the gut flora, there would be no difference.

Okay, that’s what I’ve read on other forums. I repeat that I do not yet believe anything, because I know too little about this subject. That’s why I kindly ask you guys and gals to give your opinion about the above reasoning, and (who knows) to debunk it.

TheChosenOne
    Participant
    Topics: 34
    Replies: 410

Floggi;53106 wrote: Thanks, Tdog, for your view.

Now please do not get me wrong. In the next paragraph, I may seem to be “opposing” you, to be “challenging” you. But in reality, all I want to do is ask you (and others who may be reading this thread) what you think of something I read at a different forum.

What I read there is:

If you eat (or overeat), the stomach’s acidity of course drops, because of all the food that’s added. The stomach has nerves that sense this, and these nerves signal the HCl-producing glands to increase the stomach’s acidity. This process continues until the acidity is back to normal.

During the time of insufficient acidity, the stomach’s exit remains closed. Thus, no partially digested food will enter the small intestine.

If (I explicitly say: if) this reasoning is correct, it would mean that taking HCl would only help the stomach reach its normal acidity quicker. Without the additional HCl, it would just take a bit longer for the stomach’s glands to produce the HCl by themselves. Digestion inside the stomach would take a bit longer, but the small intestine would see no difference, apart from the timing of when food leaves the stomach. For the gut flora, there would be no difference.

Okay, that’s what I’ve read on other forums. I repeat that I do not yet believe anything, because I know too little about this subject. That’s why I kindly ask you guys and gals to give your opinion about the above reasoning, and (who knows) to debunk it.

There can be many reasons why your stomach lacks the ability to make stomach acid. It usually happens with people that don’t eat enough salt for example, or people that have a chronic disease (allergies, candida, …). If your stomach acidity is out of balance, your acidity levels will continue to fluctuate. You need to stabilize it by taking extra stomach acid continuously. Your stomach will adjust its acid production accordingly. The receptors in your stomach will note the acidity levels of your stomach and will stop the acid production. Once the situation is stabilized, you should digest your meals sufficient enough to fix the stomach problems (in theory).
    Taking antacids makes not sense to me, because your stomach will try to increase the acidity continuously (because the acidity is too low at some moments). This only suppresses the symptoms (burning stomach), but does not stabilize the situation.
    The advantage of taking more stomach acid is that you know when you have exactly enough stomach acid. It happens right before you have a burning sensation.

Edit: To answer your question. ‘This process continues until the acidity is back to normal.’ should work in theory, but there are various reasons why your stomach can’t produce enough HCl. I’m not a doctor, so I don’t know why.

jameskep
    Participant
    Replies: 220

Some Older people can produce less HCL than they should. So it might benefit some older people more. People that have pathogens(h pylori,candida etc…) that are neutralizing the production of good acid might need to supplement with extra HCL. Some pathogens can produce excess ammonia that can neutralize beneficial acids. Go to iherb and check out the testimonials on HCL products and you can get a better idea of how it has helped some people.

Tdog333
    Replies: 245

Floggi;53106 wrote:
    Thanks, Tdog, for your view.

What I read there is:

I think it really depends on your body. Right now that is exactly why I need to take HCL, because my pyloric valve remains shut for hours upon hours if I don’t take any HCL after a protein containing meal. I lose my appetite during that time and feel very bloated. I could eat that same meal with 4 betaine pills afterwards and feel fine 2 hours later.

But on the other side – I don’t know how universal the pyloric valve sensor information is though. Before I got sick I was very into body building. I worked out 2+ hours a day very high intensity and would go through bulking phases. During those months I would eat 5-6000+ calories a day, sometimes up to 8000 calories. I would eat 1500 cals a meal every 2 hours. I now know that is no where near enough time to process and break down all of that food properly(It was denser foods such as beef nuts and beans). I never felt that I was bloated or had any lingering food in my stomach. But from what I’ve read meat can take hours upon hours to leave your stomach even with the correct acidity.

I guess I just find it hard to believe that I could eat pounds and pounds of steak in one sitting, have my stomach properly break down the meat, and eat a full 1000+ calorie meal 2 hours later, unless i had a miracle stomach lol.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I wanted to mention that your stomach acid levels will stabilize in the long term when taking zypan and you can get off of it. I only take it with meals that have meat, otherwise I don’t take it. I used to take it with every meal for 1.5+ years but now I don’t need to because my body can produce enough at the right levels.

-raster

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Influencing stomach acidity?’ is closed to new replies.