Hydro-chloric Acid and Health (written by Dr. McCoombs)

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Hydro-chloric Acid and Health (written by Dr. McCoombs)

This topic contains 14 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  TheChosenOne 5 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

“Hydrcochloric acid (HCL) is produced in the stomach to aid in activating digestion of foods and protection of the intestinal flora. Excess stomach acid (HCL) has traditionally been treated as a result of low HCL levels that creates cycles of over- and under-production. With the advent of direct-to-consumer marketing by pharmaceutical companies, the public was entrained to believe that this was purely an excess HCL problem that needed to be suppressed with antacids, leaving behind the science, physiology, and wisdom of the body.

By suppressing HCL levels, you lose absorption of Calcium, protein, iron, iodine, B12, Folic acid, Zinc, Magnesium, and other minerals. Current antacid products are starting to carry a Black Box Warning about their use leading to osteoporosis. Another warning about the loss of Magnesium was just released today by the FDA – http://curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=1908229#i.
    Eventually, all of these losses will need to be considered, as they all occur.

Next, you lose the protective and functional effects that HCL provides. Proper HCL levels in the stomach kill off many pathogens that otherwise would enter into the intestinal tract and potentially create problems. Proper HCL levels are necessary to digestive function once food leaves the stomach and passes into the intestinal tract. The acidic base that the food is in, as well as the partially digested foods from HCL’s presence in the stomach, trigger further digestion and absorption of nutrients. Without this, we don’t have proper liver/gall bladder and pancreatic function and digestion. This will cause further nutritional losses of fats, fat-soluble vitamins, proteins, etc. HCL deficiencies can lead to the creation and overgrowth of pathogenic bacteria and fungus in the intestinal tract through altered pH. The downside to HCL deficiency spirals out exponentially at a very rapid pace creating systemic problems throughout the body and contributing to long-term health challenges, conditions, and diseases.

Low HCL levels are associated with skin conditions such as psoriasis, eczema, rosacea, boils and dermatitis, as well as problems like fibromyalgia.

One of the most common causes of HCL imbalances is past antibiotic use. Antibiotics destroy the beneficial bacteria that synthesize B vitamins necessary for HCL production in the stomach. It is believed that HCL production starts to decline as we get older. This may also be a result of past antibiotic use, so I’m not as convinced that this is a normal part of aging, as it is a normal part of a society that is over-inundated with antibiotic exposures. Once antibiotics destroy the beneficial bacteria of the stomach and intestines, candida determines which bacteria grow back.”

and there’s more…

http://candidaplan.com/blog/699/hydrochloric-acid-and-health/

-raster

Jo*Jo
    Topics: 64
    Replies: 242

Well I am certainly going to be trying that baking soda test tomorrow morning. This could be why I have been struggling with green/yellow stools for the past 3 or 4 months despite taking swedish bitters regularly (i was told it would help). I’m also struggling with constipation and my fibromyalgia and fatigue has gotten worse since being on this diet. Plus, i’ve suffered with hair loss since 2002.

I kind of hope this is whats going on. Thanks Raster.

Castiel
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 6

So am I Jojo. Mine is due to eczema. My face is fine, but everywhere else is like red patches and grey scar marks.

In summer, I’m always the one wearing a thick jumper.

beezy
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 7

whats the baking soda test? my naturopath told me to drink baking soda twice a day. whats the purpose?

raster
    Participant

“Another way to check at home is to mix one quarter teaspoon of baking soda in eight ounces of cold water, first thing in the morning, before eating or drinking anything except water. Drink the baking soda solution. Time how long it takes to belch. Time up to five minutes. If you have not belched within five minutes stop timing anyway.”

There’s more in the article I didn’t share in this post, I didn’t want to copy the whole blog post.

-raster

beezy
    Replies: 7

where can i get some hcl? my newest symptoms are: extreme bloating after eating, abdominal pain, gas. wondering if hcl will help. im trying swedish bitters and inconclusive about its effectiveness….

raster
    Participant

If you have a gas problem, this is almost surely related to deficiencies in HCL. There are a few forms of HCL; one is betaine HCL and another is zypan.

Bitters, as far as I know, only get the body to produce digestive enzymes naturally which has nothing to do with stomach acid.

-raster

Peyt
    Topics: 7
    Replies: 51

Very interesting post,
    I am currently taking HCL with my main 2 meals and found it to be a great help.

The reason my Stomach acid is low is because up to when I was in my mid 30’s I had a bacteria in my digestion track called H. Pylori… One of the things this bacteria does is it reduces the production of acid in the stomach so it(H. Pylori) can survive in it… When I was in my 30’s , my cousins who were in their 50’s both got stomach cancer and the doctors determined their cause of stomach cancer was H. Pylori. This motivated me to go test myself and sure enough I had it too… it just was not as bad as theirs(this bacteria sits in the stomach for decades before causing cancer)… So I had to take a very strong course of Antibiotics to get rid of this H. Pylori in my stomach, and although the antibiotics did the job of getting rid of the bacteria, they made my already weak and sick digestion track even worst…..

Any case, eventhough the H. Pylori itself was gone, my stomach was not producing enough acid(it’s effects remained).. so ever since I started taking some HCL with my meals my digestion improved greatly…

I am putting this post up for those others who have ever tested positive for H. Pylori and had to take those antibiotics, or those with the history of stomach cancer in their families who have been thinking of testing themselves for it… the doctors won’t tell you this(that you have low stomach acid due to H. Pylori), They will only give you antibiotics as a form of treatment to get rid of the bacteria, after that you are on your own! … I found out thru my own research and basically suffered extra 5 years after wiping the bacteria out before realizing my stomach was used to producing low acid and I need to supplement it with HCL.

Good luck all

Danny33
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 362

I have recently posted a tread about the great results I’m having by supplementing with Betaine HCl.
    Nearly cured months of indigestion over night. I take it with every meal.

Floggi
    Replies: 425

raster;31449 wrote: If you have a gas problem, this is almost surely related to deficiencies in HCL.

Back when I had a severe gas problem, my doctor told me that this gas problem and bloating may be caused by many, many different causes.

raster;31449 wrote: There are a few forms of HCL; one is betaine HCL and another is zypan.

Can you explain? As far as I know, HCl is HCl, period. The only thing that may differ is the additives that are used to make it ingestible without damaging mouth, throat and esophagus.

Floggi

Peyt;42944 wrote: I had a bacteria in my digestion track called H. Pylori…

About half of humanity has H. Pylori in their digestion track. Luckily, 80% remains without symptoms.

Peyt;42944 wrote: [T]he doctors determined their cause of stomach cancer was H. Pylori.

This may happen to some individuals. H. Pylori may cause stomach ulcers. Or, stating the same from the other side: stomach ulcers are mostly caused by H. Pylori. Luckily, 80% of bearers of H. Pylori remain free from symptoms.

kerra89
    Replies: 12

I just wanted to post a heads-up about Betaine HCl supplementation. This article is very sound; it describes how the body needs adequate acid for digestion, and how low acid is often the more prevalent cause of reflux than high acidity. However, please be sure that you do your research and/or consult your physician prior to supplementation, because you don’t want to accidentally do more harm than good by supplementing at the wrong time for your body.

In my case, I was diagnosed with H. Pylori last week in addition to my Candida problem. That (along with the multiple baking soda tests I’ve done) is a pretty good confirmation that I have low stomach acid, because H. Pylori produces something called urease that reduces HCl so the bacteria can survive. However, if I were to supplement with Betaine HCl while my Pylori infestation is still strong, the excess acid can cause stomach ulcers and damage the lining before my body is able to contain it. It is vitally important that I conquer the Pylori overgrowth first, and then supplement with HCl down the line when it is not so dangerous to my body.

I’ve discovered this through my own research, as my doctors haven’t been much help in this candida/pylori disaster.

In Sum: Be sure to heal the body from H. Pylori before supplementing with Betaine HCl, or you might experience a lot of pain and unnecessary damage. There is a time for supplementation – just listen to your body and ALWAYS do your research first.

Floggi

Acidity of our stomach fluids has been of vital importance throughout our history. A high acidity inside the stomach is needed to unfold the proteins in our food; only unfolded proteins can be properly broken down by our stomach’s enzymes (most notably pepsine). Thus, sufficient acidity is required for digestion.

But even if we only drink some water, the stomach will immediately increase its HCl (acid) production. This is because during our history, water could not be trusted: it could contain all kinds of bacteria and parasites, and these had to be killed through acid.

If we drink, or eat, the acidity of the stomach will decrease. That’s simply through dilution of the stomach fluid. As this decreased acidity is potentially life-threatening, the stomach closes its exit to the intestines in order to keep any possible bacteria or parasites inside the stomach. It will then immediately secrete lots of acid, until normal acidity is restored. Only when normal acidity is restored, the exit of the stomach to the intestines will open again.

This means that adding HCl is generally a bad idea. The stomach will maintain its own acidity all by itself. Adding acid could damage the stomach’s internal protective lining, resulting in ulcers.

SugarIsBad
    Topics: 22
    Replies: 28

raster;31427 wrote: “Another way to check at home is to mix one quarter teaspoon of baking soda in eight ounces of cold water, first thing in the morning, before eating or drinking anything except water. Drink the baking soda solution. Time how long it takes to belch. Time up to five minutes. If you have not belched within five minutes stop timing anyway.”

There’s more in the article I didn’t share in this post, I didn’t want to copy the whole blog post.

-raster

So having belched within those 5 minutes shows that there is a deficiency of HCl? If so, how likely is it that it shows the deficiency and not something else?
    Thanks.

TheChosenOne
    Participant
    Topics: 34
    Replies: 410

SugarIsBad;51204 wrote: So having belched within those 5 minutes shows that there is a deficiency of HCl? If so, how likely is it that it shows the deficiency and not something else?
    Thanks.

Baking powder is quite alkaline (ph of about 8.2-8.3). It will react with the stomach acid, which is obviously acid. The next reaction will take place:
    NaHCO3 + HCL -> H2O + NaCl + CO2
    As a result, water, salt and carbon dioxide are formed. The CO2 is what makes you belch.
    If you like a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjVrIFScsls

I belched a bit after 5-6 minutes, which shows a deficiency. I’m currently on about 3.5g of HCl supplementation.
    I should try this test again after taking my supplements :p

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Hydro-chloric Acid and Health (written by Dr. McCoombs)’ is closed to new replies.