Hunger and blood sugar

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Hunger and blood sugar

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  robert61darby 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Helen
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 9

One of the things that took me to find out what my problem was was HUNGER, I was contstantly hungry and if I didn’t eat often enough I felt that my blood sugar dropped. This actually became scary for me and I was unable to decide if I was hungry or it was just the fear of my blood sugar dropping and I was going to pass out. Anyone else felt like this before changing their diet?

Katy Gillett
    Topics: 47
    Replies: 137

Hi Helen. Yes I’ve had terrible problems with being hungry all the time and since being on the diet for 2 weeks this has gotten significantly better. It also helps to drink PLENTY of water. I also make sure I eat something small every 3 hours. So I eat breakfast at 8, have a snack at 11, eat lunch at 1, snack at 4pm and eat dinner at 7 or 8. This has all really helped me. But it was really hard at the start of the diet, particularly as I was still figuring out what I could and couldn’t eat.

My snacks are something like celery with almond butter or a pot of plain greek yoghurt. I also have a pot of raw almonds next to me all the time. And water, water, water.

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Greetings, Helen.

An overgrowth of yeast in the intestines will prevent the body’s ability to digest properly all foods as well as obtaining needed vitamins and other nutrients from the food. And once the yeast in your body has changed itself into fungus (Candida Albicans infestation), there is even more interference with the body performing as it should. This yeast imbalance along with the nutrient deficiencies, can and will cause constant hunger. In other words, hunger is a symptom of an overgrowth of yeast, i.e. Candida. Along with this entire factor, there’s the fact that while on the Candida diet, the amount of carbohydrates in the diet is lowered significantly, and this also adds to the constant feeling of hunger. A lot of people don’t care for food products made with coconut flour, but these foods are very filling, full of fiber, protein and other nutrients, and extremely healthy for you. It will also allow you to enjoy ‘bread’ with your meals for a nice change, along with several other baked foods while on the diet.

Major supplements of bifido bacteria, flora-feeding foods and herbs, and of course the special diet will eventually restore good intestinal health.

Katy is right about eating often, do whatever you need to do in the way of eating healthy foods in order to avoid hunger. If you stay on the diet, it’s doubtful that you’ll ever need to worry about gaining weight, in fact, most people have a problem with losing instead of gaining.

Do be careful with the amount of almonds (or any other nut). Regardless of what’s written about them being on the Candida diet, they are still nuts … and probably over 95% of all nuts contain some type of mold. Mold is not what you want to be ingesting while suffering from Candida. Soaking the nuts overnight in water helps considerably with this, however, many sufferers still cannot tolerate nuts of any type.

Good luck to you, Able

Hope
    Topics: 22
    Replies: 187

Hi, there! 🙂 Candida and blood sugar issues are one of those “chicken or the egg” type things. The verdict is still out on whether hypoglycemia (low blood sugar because the body produces too much insulin) is a factor leading to candida or whether candida negatively affects the body so that then that leads to blood sugar troubles OR a bit of both, where there’s a vicious cycle of low-blood sugar that encourages eatign habits that encourage candida that then encourage more low blood sugar.

BUT – there does seem to be a clear connection between the two. Low blood sugar and candida seem to be related somehow. I’d encourage you to learn about both 🙂 The diets recommended for the two are not terribly different. It makes sense that an ACD would make a hypoglycemic individual feel much better! 🙂 I’m not technically hypoglycemic, but my blood sugar is on the low range of normal. I’m also pregnant, so I have to be **very careful** to make sure I’m eating quite frequently. Sometimes, 3 hours is too long for me :/ It’s not so much that I’m always hungry, it more that I begin to get obvious “moodiness” symptoms and fatigue if I don’t eat that often.

So, yes, I have to eat very frequently. Whether that’s mostly because of candida or mostly because of hypoglycemic tendencies, I have no idea at this point. I suspect it’s both.

Helen

Most of the time i would eat regularly – little and often, it was the knawing feeling that really bugged me, i felt it even after i had just eaten. Having made some changes (not as much as is recommended here, I think that this is because my health practitioner has given me so many different herbs, supplements etc to support my whole system because my liver and adrenals were involved) I am noticing some changes, small ones but changes nevertheless. It gets difficult for me as i also feel that my fear of my blood sugar falling sends me to food! I really am hoping that this diet sorts me out!!

Katy Gillett
    Topics: 47
    Replies: 137

Able – Is it better to avoid nuts then? I keep mine refrigerated and try to buy small amounts so I eat them relatively quickly so they don’t mould – am I going the right way about it? I do eat almonds and/or almond butter every day at the moment so I guess I can cut back, but how much can I get away with?

Helen – do you have a fear of falling blood sugar or fainting? I used to have a real fear of fainting which also sent me to eating as well because of lightheadedness etc. Perhaps some of this is due to anxiety problems which are also a huge part of the candida symptoms.. It might help to look up information on panic disorders as a fear of fainting is interlinked. While you might not be a full blown panicker some of the tips and advice on there could help as well as the advice and tips on here. Just a thought 🙂

Helen

Katy – yes i was afraid of passing out but because of low blood sugar. I must admit I don’t actually know how long it would be before that happened but it was always linked to the feeling that I HAD to eat – and NOW!

I’m a week in and everynow and then I get a glimmer of hope that I will feel better. I am getting headaches, nausea, feeling wobbly/lightheaded and tiredness – still. I must admit the suddeen feelings of needing to eat is diminishing but I am still eating little and often just in case.

It is baffling the different views around what to and what not to eat. I’m trying not to allow it to get me down and feel too paranoid!! I’m going along with a bit of trial and error.

robert61darby
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 1

I need to raise my hunger so please suggest some tips. I don’t get hungry soon from last few days. What might be the problem?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Hunger and blood sugar’ is closed to new replies.