How to make kefir?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions How to make kefir?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Michelle124 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Topics: 32
    Replies: 55

I ordered some kefir grains after drinking so much commercial stuff. I tried making some by putting probiotics in coconut milk but all I got was some weird probiotic growth, not kefir by any means.

The stuff from the store was really good. I was thinking about adding blueberries & stevia (I put this shit in and on everything) and I can problaby recreate the taste.

From everything I read I get organic milk, put the grains in there for 24-48 hours then I can drink it.

I got tired of paying 20 bucks for a bunch of probiotics and feel like this is much cheaper in the long run.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Look at kefir making youtube videos. We have a ton of forum posts on it too if you use the “search” function.

-raster

Miriam
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 61

Hi,
    Culturesforhealth.com has great milk and water kefir grains as well as others. They have videos and a blog as well as a live chat. Make contact with them. They are very nice people there.
    Miriam

ChinUp
    Topics: 7
    Replies: 24

Here is what I do:

Put grains in a clean jar
    Fill with organic, grass-fed, non-homogenized milk leaving about an inch from the top
    Cover with plastic wrap (to allow air to escape)
    Let ferment 24-48 hours in dark at room temperature (usually 48 hours)
    Strain with a plastic strainer to separate kefir grains from kefir. Use a wooden spoon to stir and help strain.
    Pour kefir into a clean jar or bottle, cover with plastic wrap and let ferment for another 24-48 hours in the dark at room temperature. IMPORTANT to do this so all the sugar and lactose is gone, plus more probiotics.
    After this period, put it in the fridge and you can consume as you please. I like mine plain, but hemp protein powder is good with it too. I’m sure stevia and blueberries would be tasty.

I always start a new batch when I separate the grains.
    Shake up your jar during the fermenting process.
    Don’t use metal jar lids, as the probiotics don’t get along with metals (though stainless steel is fine)
    It should start to look thick once it is ready, and you can smell it to tell if it is ripe

Topics: 32
    Replies: 55

ChinUp;42233 wrote: Here is what I do:

Put grains in a clean jar
    Fill with organic, grass-fed, non-homogenized milk leaving about an inch from the top
    Cover with plastic wrap (to allow air to escape)
    Let ferment 24-48 hours in dark at room temperature (usually 48 hours)
    Strain with a plastic strainer to separate kefir grains from kefir. Use a wooden spoon to stir and help strain.
    Pour kefir into a clean jar or bottle, cover with plastic wrap and let ferment for another 24-48 hours in the dark at room temperature. IMPORTANT to do this so all the sugar and lactose is gone, plus more probiotics.
    After this period, put it in the fridge and you can consume as you please. I like mine plain, but hemp protein powder is good with it too. I’m sure stevia and blueberries would be tasty.

I always start a new batch when I separate the grains.
    Shake up your jar during the fermenting process.
    Don’t use metal jar lids, as the probiotics don’t get along with metals (though stainless steel is fine)
    It should start to look thick once it is ready, and you can smell it to tell if it is ripe

Yup. I put the grains in a small cup and let it ferment overnight. I couldnt find the grains so I poured all that into a bigger container and let that ferment.

Then I took 7/8 of that as I could not find the grains as they were too small and drank it. So I put that 1/8 that wouldn’t go through the strainer in a new container with milk. I figure the grains are in there somewhere.

It definitely wasn’t done as it gave me my typical milk lactose reaction. That and some bad die off. Means I’m doing something right.

If I put some sach boularii would that culture and become part of the keifer also? I might do that too..

Michelle124
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 2

1. Into a container (preferably glass with an airtight lid), mix entire foil
    package of room temperature kefir and one quart of milk or
    young coconut water that has been heated to skin temperature
    (about 92 degrees).

2.Whisk and stir well. Put the lid on the container

3. It is important to Ferment at 72-75 F for 18 to 24 hours.
    It will thicken (slightly clumpy) and have a distinct sour aroma.

4. Once thickened, shake or stir vigorously and refrigerate
    Kefir still ferments in the refrigerator, but the process is slower

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘How to make kefir?’ is closed to new replies.