Honies, I'm Home!

Home The Candida Forum Your Stories & Journals Honies, I'm Home!

This topic contains 12 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Jojilla 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

alexalgebra
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 643

Hey y’all!

I’m home from all of my travels and thought I’d give you an update of where I’m at.

First of all, I survived! Yay! I stuck to the diet pretty much completely through everything, minus a couple of small mishaps (that I discussed before).

So basically, I went on tour for a couple of weeks, was home for 8 or 9 days, went out for a couple more weeks on the road, was home for a couple of days, then went to sleepaway camp to be a counselor for 8 days…all of that added up to about two months of traveling and craziness this summer.

The main lesson I learned is that even if you stick to the diet completely, all is not well if you push your body too hard and don’t get enough sleep. I definitely got pretty crappy on the last few days of each leg of my travels due to sleeping an average of 6 hours a night, plus the stress of travel. At this point in my recovery, that looked like me feeling really achy and getting incredibly irritable and snappy with people.

I have added a few foods back into my diet, with some failure and some success! The successes are unsweetened vanilla hemp milk, small amounts of carrots and tomatoes (like 1/3 of a carrot over a few days, a couple of bites of tomato in a week), coconut milk (I was reacting, now I’m not, yay!), small amounts of tahini, small amounts of coffee, and green tea.

My failures are lots of carrots and tomatoes, lots of coffee, too much tahini…you get the idea…basically a little bit of things here and there seem to do me well, but if I indulge too much, things are a problem. One step at a time!

I’m currently still recovering from my travels and I am pretty exhausted. I’ve gone back to work, but yesterday that looked like about two hours of work and three hours of nap to recover. Today I worked about five hours and only had a one hour nap. Progress! I also have an out of town guest that is causing a bit of stress, so I’m sure when she leaves, I will be right as rain in a day or two. It’s really hard having to deal with someone else when you can barely take care of yourself :p

All I want to do right now is hide away and watch TV and sleep. I tried to go for a walk in the park the other day and it didn’t go so well. I’m sure I’ll be fine by next week, but for now, my body is basically like fuck you, let me sleep, LOL :p

I’ve also cut back on anti-fungals (just doing a little maintenance a couple times a week and continuing to cook with coconut oil and eat food antifungals) as well as probiotics, and I think I’m doing pretty well. It was really difficult to take pills with any regularity while I was gone, so I fell pretty far behind with any and all supplements. I’m basically down to probiotics and vitamin C at this point.

All in all, aside from just being wiped out from two months of gogogogogogo, I’m feeling pretty well. It’s been three days since I’ve been back, so that’s a pretty quick recovery time.

Hope everyone else is doing well!

msmofish
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 96

Hi Alex
    Welcome back & thank you for your update !
    I always enjoy & learn from your posts so thank you !!

I have a few questions:
    – what happened when you overdid it on carrots, tahini etc ? How did you know you overdid it ?
    – what antifungals do you use & how much when you say maintenance ?
    – and what supplements do you think you are lacking in ?

Right now I’m taking probiotics, Vit C & ashwaghanda only. I did over 3 months of all the supplements & figured that was enough. I’m open to suggestion on this

Again thank you for your inspiration
    Best
    Mo

alexalgebra

msmofish;47310 wrote: Hi Alex
    Welcome back & thank you for your update !
    I always enjoy & learn from your posts so thank you !!

I have a few questions:
    – what happened when you overdid it on carrots, tahini etc ? How did you know you overdid it ?
    – what antifungals do you use & how much when you say maintenance ?
    – and what supplements do you think you are lacking in ?

Right now I’m taking probiotics, Vit C & ashwaghanda only. I did over 3 months of all the supplements & figured that was enough. I’m open to suggestion on this

Again thank you for your inspiration
    Best
    Mo

Thank you!

1. I got some itchy butthole, and just felt general ickiness. I think if I were in better shape overall (ie sleeping and not running myself ragged scrambling across the country and after teenagers for the whole summer), then it wouldn’t have been as big of a deal and I could tolerate more.

2. I have a backup supply of “yeast free” I think it’s called? It’s got some berberine stuff in it, which i know kills all bacteria, but it’s the only anti-fungal that I actually feel like it works…I did a few bottles of SF722 and it just felt a little more weak compared to this stuff. The yeast free stuff is kind of for “emergencies” I guess? Like when I accidentally ate something with sugar in it, or ate too many carrots or just started getting itchy butthole…that’s when I’m like OKAY PILL TIME! Otherwise, I just cook everything in coconut oil and eat rutabagas and brussels sprouts pretty much daily.

3. I don’t think I’m lacking in anything supplement wise, I think? Mostly I’m just lacking in sleep and calmness. I am really looking forward to an empty house.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

One of the reasons you might react to coconut milk is that it is highly inflammatory and when your gut gets inflamed, you will react more.

-raster

alexalgebra

raster;47317 wrote: One of the reasons you might react to coconut milk is that it is highly inflammatory and when your gut gets inflamed, you will react more.

-raster

Yeah, I am good with it now, though! Yay, progress!

msmofish

Okay thanks sharing for your experience strength & hope !
    (and yes I’m a friend of Bill’s)

The only antifungal for me is coconut oil & same foods as you.
    Every day is a new day with this fungus among us !

I’m SO glad to be in the solution !!!
    Best
    Mo

alexalgebra

msmofish;47319 wrote: Okay thanks sharing for your experience strength & hope !
    (and yes I’m a friend of Bill’s)

The only antifungal for me is coconut oil & same foods as you.
    Every day is a new day with this fungus among us !

I’m SO glad to be in the solution !!!
    Best
    Mo

I’ve also been friends with Bill for about 6 years 😉

msmofish

yup I know, saw in a previous post
    I’ll have 25 years (gulp) in Sept !!
    Celebrating in NYC, my old stomping grounds, sure do wish I could enjoy the cake.
    Thank god for coconut manna !!

alexalgebra

msmofish;47325 wrote: yup I know, saw in a previous post
    I’ll have 25 years (gulp) in Sept !!
    Celebrating in NYC, my old stomping grounds, sure do wish I could enjoy the cake.
    Thank god for coconut manna !!

Oh, I forgot I said it before, LOL…blame the brain fog!

YAY 25 YEARS!! That is amazing!!!!!!!

msmofish

aw shucks thanks !

btw at times I wonder if our predicament led to candida, we sure did drink a lot of yeast 😉
    Seriously I wonder if it’s a part of our genetic predisposition that went extra out of whack from antibiotics & diet

Either way I’m very grateful to have found this forum !!

alexalgebra

msmofish;47329 wrote: aw shucks thanks !

btw at times I wonder if our predicament led to candida, we sure did drink a lot of yeast 😉
    Seriously I wonder if it’s a part of our genetic predisposition that went extra out of whack from antibiotics & diet

Either way I’m very grateful to have found this forum !!

I feel like it’s definitely related. I think a lot friends of mine (and Bill) also have it but are in denial :p

msmofish

haha agreed !
    denial ain’t a river in egypt (yuk yuk)

Jojilla
    Topics: 21
    Replies: 51

raster;47317 wrote: One of the reasons you might react to coconut milk is that it is highly inflammatory and when your gut gets inflamed, you will react more.

-raster

Coconut milk made me sick prior to starting this journey of addressing candida. Of course, a lot of foods made me sick because I also have Leaky Gut with a few food allergies thrown in there (eggs big time, dairy w/exception of goat, and a few beans).

I haven’t tried coconut milk since starting the diet. I’ve been thinking about taking some of my goat milk kefir crystals and trying to make coconut kefir for some variety. What do you think about that? Might work and I won’t get sick?

I’m asking because I had not heard of coconut milk being inflammatory and I thought that was fascinating given my reaction to it.

Sorry to cut-in on your conversation Alex and Mo, and congrats on all of your combined years!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Honies, I'm Home!’ is closed to new replies.