Help! Ok to take antibiotics during candida treatment??

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Help! Ok to take antibiotics during candida treatment??

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  bjh22 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

bjh22
    Participant
    Topics: 19
    Replies: 14

I’ve been battling my candida for 9 months now and I’ve tried everything under the sun. My functional doctor thought there might be something else going on in my body preventing or slowing progression so she did a bunch of blood and urine tests. Other than being low in certain nutrients, minerals, and amino acids she found that I have a mycoplasma pneumoniae bacterial infection. She said that the treatment for this is antibiotics. I’m pretty sure antibiotics and steroids given to me by ENTs are what got me into this mess in the first place.  Is it ok to take antibiotics during the candida protocol as long as I continue with everything else (probiotics, antifungals, diet), etc??

bjh22
    Participant

I’ve been battling my candida for 9 months now and I’ve tried everything under the sun. My functional doctor thought there might be something else going on in my body preventing or slowing progression so she did a bunch of blood and urine tests. Other than being low in certain nutrients, minerals, and amino acids she found that I have a mycoplasma pneumoniae bacterial infection. She said that the treatment for this is antibiotics. I’m pretty sure antibiotics and steroids given to me by ENTs are what got me into this mess in the first place. Is it ok to take antibiotics during the candida protocol as long as I continue with everything else (probiotics, antifungals, diet), etc??

Any thoughts? She says that antibiotics are needed to treat the mycoplasma infection but I’m worried they will set back any progress I’ve made over the last 9 month and possibly make my candida worse.

yisucks
    Participant
    Topics: 131
    Replies: 331

I would say that most people here are pretty against antibiotics. In fact, it is why most of us are here today. I was perfectly healthy and well until I made the mistake of taking an antibiotic for a vaginal bacterial infection — BIG mistake, but this was only a mistake because BV is NOT serious and there are ALTERNATIVES.

I do not know anything about mycoplasma infection but what I would recommend is that you express to your doctor that you really have a problem with antibiotics and are wondering if you have an alternative. If yes, great – do that! If there are not, and this is a serious thing, obviously your life is more important that aggravating candida.

I have a similar dilemma. Every day I have to take semi lose dose steroids to keep me alive for a condition I have…there’s no alternative except death. Obviously I chose life and deal with the repercussions of that.

Sanshou
    Participant
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 47

Antibiotics such as erythromycin, clarithromycin or azithromycin are effective treatment. However, because mycoplasma infection usually resolves on its own, antibiotic treatment of mild symptoms is not always necessary.

That’s a quote from a google search, honestly I use vitamins, herbs, homemade probiotics and exercise for most issues like that with pretty good success. Considering it is a lung infection something like aroma therapy with some essential oils may work just as well without the setbacks.

bjh22
    Participant

Antibiotics such as erythromycin, clarithromycin or azithromycin are effective treatment. However, because mycoplasma infection usually resolves on its own, antibiotic treatment of mild symptoms is not always necessary.

That’s a quote from a google search, honestly I use vitamins, herbs, homemade probiotics and exercise for most issues like that with pretty good success. Considering it is a lung infection something like aroma therapy with some essential oils may work just as well without the setbacks.

In a way mycoplasma infections are actually similar to candida as traditional doctors don’t see them as an issue or claim that they clear on their own. Others say that they can stay with you for a long time and cause a host of problems similar to candida. There are similar forums focused on it and many people with lyme disease also have mycoplasma infections. Here is some info:

http://www.digitalnaturopath.com/cond/C670329.html

http://www.thenaturalrecoveryplan.com/articles/mycoplasma-and-fatigue-syndromes.html

http://www.natmeds.net/blog/alphabetized/mycoplasma-infections/

Sanshou
    Participant
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 47

My mistake, but I would still likely try the less harmful methods first. Because as mentioned a lot of us feel antibiotic’s contribute to our conditions. And if it has similar symptoms it may mean it’s just another auto-immune symptom, just like candida, meaning it may not be the root cause of the problems and only a symptom.

slinkarrow
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 1

Hi there – what did you decide?

I have the same problem as you – ive had candida for over a year now and been on the diet for as long.  Its not really working but i stick to it.  It was caused by a 2 month course of antibiotics as well as predinose.  I also developed gastritis at the same time.

My immune system is low and I have tested positive for mycroplasma fermentans.  My GP thinks it is the mycroplasma which is suppressing my immune system so i cant get rid of the thrush.  My naturopath thinks its the other way around.

Im really at a loss what to do, given antibiotics really screwed things up for me, however nothing is working against the candida so maybe the GP is right?

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Hi there – what did you decide? I have the same problem as you – ive had candida for over a year now and been on the diet for as long. Its not really working but i stick to it. It was caused by a 2 month course of antibiotics as well as predinose. I also developed gastritis at the same time. My immune system is low and I have tested positive for mycroplasma fermentans. My GP thinks it is the mycroplasma which is suppressing my immune system so i cant get rid of the thrush. My naturopath thinks its the other way around. Im really at a loss what to do, given antibiotics really screwed things up for me, however nothing is working against the candida so maybe the GP is right?

It’s probably more than that this suppressing your immune system such as poor thyroid health (center of immune system), liver health, etc.  A naturopath should be able to address both at same time and come up with a plan to address both infections.

-raster

bjh22
    Participant

Hi there – what did you decide? I have the same problem as you – ive had candida for over a year now and been on the diet for as long. Its not really working but i stick to it. It was caused by a 2 month course of antibiotics as well as predinose. I also developed gastritis at the same time. My immune system is low and I have tested positive for mycroplasma fermentans. My GP thinks it is the mycroplasma which is suppressing my immune system so i cant get rid of the thrush. My naturopath thinks its the other way around. Im really at a loss what to do, given antibiotics really screwed things up for me, however nothing is working against the candida so maybe the GP is right?

I really didn’t want to take antibiotics so I’m trying some natural stuff that is supposed to help clear mycoplasma (oregano oil, olive leaf extract). I’ve also been told that my tests show that my immune system is very stressed so I’m taking some stuff that is supposed to help boost my immune system (colostrum, elderberry, etc).  I’ll get tested again in a month to see if the natural stuff has done anything for the mycoplasma….if not maybe I’ll have to try antibiotics???

I wish I knew if the mycoplasma is keeping me from clearing the candida….it’s very frustrating b/c it seems like nobody knows. I spend a crazy amount of money on supplements and practically starve myself with this strict diet and still feel like I haven’t made any progress and just feel lost b/c nobody seems to know what to do. I’ve seen a naturopath and a functional medicine doctor (not covered by insurance). I’ve tried different prescription antifungals for the candida and so far nothing has brought my antibody levels down…….Has the candida become resistant to the drugs??  Are there biofilms protecting the candida?? Is the mycoplasma preventing progress?? Is the mycoplasma protected with biofilms?? Are there any drugs or antifungals that will work??   This whole thing is just crazy and everything seems to be a shot in the dark.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Help! Ok to take antibiotics during candida treatment??’ is closed to new replies.