Healthy Snacks You Love

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Healthy Snacks You Love

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Hope 8 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

tumbleweed
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 3

Does anyone have any Candida Diet snacks they find appealing?
    Thanks for sharing!

Hope
    Topics: 22
    Replies: 187

GUACAMOLE!!!!!!!!!! 🙂 mmmmmmmmm.

It was one of my favorite food before the diet, and now it’s like my big treat! 🙂 Here’s how I make it (usually):

Mash avocado
    add roughly 1 T. fresh lime juice
    add minced onion to taste (really small)
    add garlic powder & salt to taste
    stir in chopped fresh cilantro to taste

If you have a Trader Joe’s near you, their tomatillo salsa is a great, super quick way to make guac. Just stir some in the mashed avocado, season it a little with garlic powder & salt and it’s done!

Very good as a dip for fresh veggies.

I eat raw whole almonds, too. I haven’t had any trouble with them. Also sunflower seeds and raw pumpkin seeds (pepitas).

veg2
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 27

yes, (I’m more of a snack all day type of person anyway)
    some favorites right now
    veggies and hummus, or roasted red pepper dip
    almond butter cookies
    black bean brownies
    homemade quinoa bars (to have some “to go” snacks)
    cashew or almond butter on celery or a brown rice cake
    greek yogurt sweetened w truvia and cinnamon
    there’s more, I like trying to macgyver things that are “candida killers” into something I like. I’m working on iced chai made with coconut milk and some teas, still needs some tweaking though.

Hope

I did the iced chai with coconut milk, too! 🙂 I was trying to get by with what I had on hand, but it didn’t wind up tasting right until I bought some cardamom. Mmm. Rice pudding made with coconut milk and chai spices is really good, too!

Veg2, I’m ready for that alomd butter cookie recipe anytime you’re willing to post it 🙂 I tried to mess around with a few recipes and make quinoa cookies last night for our picnic today. My (usually incredibly supportive) husband tasted the “dough” and just said, “Oh, babe. I’m sorry.” :/ Quinoa cookies. Not so much. Ha.

kristie’s hope
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 4

veg2 wrote: yes, (I’m more of a snack all day type of person anyway)
    some favorites right now
    veggies and hummus, or roasted red pepper dip
    almond butter cookies
    black bean brownies
    homemade quinoa bars (to have some “to go” snacks)
    cashew or almond butter on celery or a brown rice cake
    greek yogurt sweetened w truvia and cinnamon
    there’s more, I like trying to macgyver things that are “candida killers” into something I like. I’m working on iced chai made with coconut milk and some teas, still needs some tweaking though.

All your snacks sound great but also totally off-limits… Is this like a later version of the diet?? Like the cookies and brownies sound like they would have some type of sugar in them. Actually now that I think about it black beans are definitely off limits and hummus is made with garbanzos which are off-limits.
    I am confused.

Hope

I’m sure the brownies and cookies are made with stevia, definitely no sugar. Some of us legumes in moderation in Stage 1, many anti-candida diets include them as acceptable Stage 1 foods, even though the particular diet on this site does not. Also, some people on these boards are working with naturopaths, chiropractors, nutritionists, who have them on diets close, but maybe not exactly the same as this diet – so there are some variations. There are far more commonalities than difference between the diets, though, and all of us are here for anti-candida support 🙂 I make things like the quinoa bars, too, only I use a combo of millet and white buckwheat flours because I don’t dig quinoa. Totally doable. You just have to get a little creative. I found this list to be great for Stage 1 inspiration!

lauries1978
    Replies: 1

Where are all of these recipes? I would love the homemade quinoa bars, black bean brownies, and almond butter cookies! Would it be a pain to post them or tell me where I can find them? Thank you!

veg2
    Replies: 27

Hi again. Thanks Hope! that was pretty much going to be my response, regarding the snacks. Most of them are totally stage 1, celery/almond butter for sure. I am working with a naturopath/herbalist, so there’s a few tweaks that might be a hair different but I’m pretty much following Stage one. The brownies/cookies are made with stevia/truvia/xyltitol. Funny, I’m realizing how much I “treat” myself now that I’m on this plan. I don’t normally eat brownies or cookies everyday.
    Oh I guess the baking cocoa, black beans, and carob chips could be “no nos” for stage one.
    Again the herbalist I’m working with ok’d (or even suggested) some of these things. I’m also taking anti-fungal supplements, but I have been very strict with the eating plan I’m on. I guess I’d say I’m also on the 1.5 stage.
    At any rate, some of the things, like the quinoa bars and iced chai, I just whipped up. The herbalist actually gave me a little packet -maybe like 10 pages- of recipes. It’s at home (I’m at work)but I could scan and post it.
    I was thinking of starting a blog, as I see some people have done here. Just to have a centralized place to put recipes, new food finds, etc. Maybe that will be a weekend project. I should write some of these things down for myself anyway, I have modified some of the recipes in the packet anyway adding more “killers” (coconut oil, cayenne pepper, etc).
    Oh, thanks hope for the tip on the cardamom! I like my iced chai a lot (especially knowing it’s good for me, unlike normal iced chai) but I think that’s going to put it over the top!

Katy Gillett
    Topics: 47
    Replies: 137

veg2 please let us know when you do start a blog because quinoa bars and almond butter cookies sound amazing!!! I have only just recently found almond butter and I’m totally addicted now. I’ve been eating them on brown rice flour scones I’ve been making…

Which I wanted to ask about actually… are alternate flours allowed? I have no access to a skilled nutritionist so I’m having to do this thing on my own (with the help of forums and books of course). But find the diets so different all the time! I’m going on the premise ‘if I can tolerate it I can eat it’…?

Hope

It’s pretty hard to really tell what you can tolerate, though, Katy. Especially in the beginning when our desire to “tolerate” foods is extra strong – we could easily convince ourselves to include foods that we shouldn’t.

Have you been making the brown rice scones from scratch or from a mix? Alternative flours are allowed, but you’re going to want to be careful with how many carbs you consume (even of allowed grains). Everyone is different in how much of the allowed grains they can handle. Some cannot have any flours w/o increasing symptoms. Other find they really cannot have grains at all. If you’ll remember, I’m 6 months pregnant. I cut my grains to almost nothing at the very beginning – I was dealing with painful thrush on my tongue and wanted it gone NOW 😉 I slowly brought in more of the allowed grains and then worked up to the allowed flours. It took me about 3 weeks to get to flours and then I went up to where I am now – I eat 2-3 servings of grains each day. Occasionally more, but I really don’t think it’s best for me to eat more.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Healthy Snacks You Love’ is closed to new replies.