Everything gives me gas – why?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Everything gives me gas – why?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Angor 6 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Angor
    Topics: 47
    Replies: 136

Almost everything on the diet gives me bad gas. It’s so frustrating. The only vegetables that doesn’t cause gas is cucumber and zucchini. On very, very few occations I can tolerate broccoli.

I can’t tolerate any of the flours.

That leaves me with eggs, cucumber and zucchini (+rhubarb, creamed coconut sometimes and lemon).

Even molybdenum gives me gas ….

What should I do and why is it like this?

What’s causing the gas? I know vegetables can be hard to digest, but does everybody else feel this too?

I just bought Betaine HCL and have tried it two times without any noticable results. But it may work if I take it some more.

I’m very grateful for all the help I can get.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I would consider trying out zypan next if the betaine HCL doesn’t work. I never tried betaine HCL so am unsure how effective it is; it sounds like others liked how it works though.

I believe the gas is from fermenting foods in the gut; in time, as you improve your digestion, it should improve or go away.

Are you eating meat right now? Someone on the forum mentioned that when the reduced/eliminated meat consumption, the gas went away…

-raster

Angor

raster wrote: I would consider trying out zypan next if the betaine HCL doesn’t work. I never tried betaine HCL so am unsure how effective it is; it sounds like others liked how it works though.

I believe the gas is from fermenting foods in the gut; in time, as you improve your digestion, it should improve or go away.

Are you eating meat right now? Someone on the forum mentioned that when the reduced/eliminated meat consumption, the gas went away…

-raster

Hello raster and thank you for answering! 🙂

I don’t eat meat at all, not even once a week. I stopped the once-a-week-chicken-or-fish a while a go. Since I wanted my diet to be more effective. Although, meat won’t give me gas like vegetables do. I read somewhere that Betaine HCL was for better digesting meat and not vegetables, but it might be wrong.

It’s just so frustrating, I feel very limited because of this problem, and my diet is very restricted and not very healthy if it’s only cucumber, zucchini and eggs.

Latka
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 128

I’ve had the same problem. I came to a point where I was extremely bloated and had terrible gas every time I ate. The only thing that helped with this was not eating at all: I tried intermittent fasting where I would not eat for 16 hours a day, and only ate during an 8 hour window. At least I woke up and spent the first hours of the day (while fasting) gas free – and what a welcome break that was! However, I do not recommend this as the solution because I don’t think it is a solution. More like a temporary relief. It is not possible, at least for me, to live my life like this. I only did this experiment during four days of my holiday while I was at home and mostly relaxing. Also fasting is not too good if you are already weak or have adrenal problems.

But what I did learn from my experiment was this: obviously every time I eat, for some reason, I end up feeding either fungus or bacteria. Hence the gas as the by product. Now I cannot be sure if I actually have Candida overgrowth; there is the possibility that my bloating and gas are caused by bacterial overgrowth in the small intestine instead (sibo). This would be indicated already by the fact that I get bloated very soon after eating (about 20 minutes afterwards, and I doubt the food would have reached the colon by then?).

Do you know for a fact that you have Candida overgrowth? There is always the possibility that you might have another kind of digestive problem. Especially since you get gas from mostly all of the allowed foods (frustrating, I know as it is the same for me). Weak digestion alone can give gas and bloating, symptoms that are very much alike those caused by Candida.

In any case whether trying to deal with Candida or SIBO, it seems like improving digestion would be important. Are you constipated at all? Or have diarhea? If the first, then it is likely that your digestion is sluggish and transit time slow and the food ends up fermenting in the gut as Raster said. Instead of being broken down and being digested so that your body gets food, it ends up being food for the bacteria or fungus. If you have diarhea it might also mean that you are not properly digesting foods and this can be irritating to the gut as well.

How to improve digestion? Not sure as I am still trying to figure this out myself. And because we are all different you may need to just experiemnt a bit to see what would work for you. Betaine HLC never did anything to me either and now I am just too frustrated to try another supplement. Using Swedish bitters to encourage your body’s own production of digestive enzymes might help. Other than that, raw vegetables can be hard to digest especially if you did not eat a lot of that stuff previously (again, you might not produce enough enzymes for digesting them – swedish bitters might help?). Generally steaming or sauteing vegetables makes them easier to digest. However I did find for myself that if I eat raw veggies alone I have no problem with them. Sometimes the problem can be the combinations of foods in one meal.

Other than that increasing metabolism is very important for improving digestion. I was only able to do that by increasing my carb intake. Then again, I probably do not have Candida overgrowth, as the only foods that I can eat without any gas or bloating problem, are fruits (easily and quickly digested sugars). I also experimented with this during my holiday; three days eating fruits only and all my problems disappeared! Now I am back to work and trying to eat more normal foods and I’m getting gas again. I would not recommend trying something like my fruitartian stint if you know you have Candida and that you react to fruits. That would just not make sense. Still I think the metabolism is an important piece in the puzzle that needs to be considered.

Angor

I have considered the possibility that I have SIBO for along time. But right now, I actually think I have both candida and SIBO. I just tried SF722 and it gave me pretty bad die-off – intestinal pain. And I’m thinking, since SF722 is for fungus and not bacteria, maybe that indicates that I have a candida overgrowth for fact.

And I think I have SIBO since I really can’t tolerate fiber.

Fasting works for me as well. I do it sometimes, but as you say, it doesn’t seem to solve the problem, but it’s a relief for a while!

How long does it take before anything reaches the colon? I’m thinking about die-off symptoms and such. I get them like 30-60 minutes after taking antifungals. Has the antifungal really reached the colon by then?

My main problem is gas and diarrhea and also right now a stubborn UTI. So, the UTI speaks for candida and the gas speaks for SIBO.

I have tried to find swedish bitters in a swedish store but ironically I can’t find it (or once I found it, but it contained alcohol). I’ll try to look harder.

Right now I’m just thinking about how I should tackle the problem with my restricted diet. I can’t eat only cucumber, zucchini and eggs for years. I just don’t know what to do exactly … How could one combinate a diet for candida and at the same time SIBO.

Thanks Latka for helping me, it means a lot 🙂

Thomas
    Topics: 71
    Replies: 605

Hi guys,

I like to say that it is possible to eat only or two meals a day and live a healthy life. There are teachings, especially the Chinese healing traditions which teach that there is a time where the intestines are not working and when they are working.
    For thousands of years Chinese vegetarians have been eating one meal a day and stayed healthy many to very high age.

The intestines don’t work in the night so the last meal should be eaten around 20.00 hours, best would be 18.00 hours. In the morning one should eat not out of routine but if you are hungry. A person with body awareness is not hungry directly after he woke up, because the intestines and stomach have to start working waking up themselves. The time for the stomach to start working is between 9.00 and 11.00.
    In these two windows one should eat. If you have a one time a day meal lifestyle then the time to eat would be between 9.00 and 11.00.

We have to much a thought about our body as a material thing, like a car, we have to fix and than we can drive off. But the body is much more like our planet, everything hangs together.

For me the change to a two meal a day did wonders. I am slowly going towards the one day meal a day. One can do that having one or two days a week like that in the beginning. 🙂

yours
    Thomas

Latka
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 128

How long it takes for something to reach the colon depends on your transit time and what is digested. I guess if you have diarrhea your transit time might be very (too) fast. Also if you take the antifungals alone and not with food, maybe they reach it sooner? Hard to say.

If your digestion is weak and you are not producing enough enzymes for breaking down fiber that already can give fiber intolerance issues. Not sure it always would indicate SIBO. And gas can also be caused by Candida overgrowth. Do you get bloated as well?

There isn’t supposed to any Candida in the small intestine as far as I understand. But I’m thinking, if there is Candida overgrowht in the colon and if the valve between colon and small intestine doesn’t work properly (as in the case of SIBO it doesnt) then what would stop Candida from expanding into the small intestine too? Then again if it did get there, would it not regulate the bacterial overgrowth there? But I guess it is possible to have both.

Funny thing about those Swedish bitters: when I googled them after not finding them here even though I live in Scandinavia (next door to Sweden really), I found out that they are actually Swiss!

I understand your frustration with the very restricted diet. I personally don’t follow this diet or that any more. i test things for myself and choose foods that I can digest well. if something gives me gas or bloating I try to eliminate it. Though I play around with this too. For example I’ve found out that I can have eggs but just not in the same meal I have certain veggies (ie cabbage). I can also have raw cauliflower salad on its own just fine, whereas if I have it as part of a bigger meal I will get gas afterwards. In the long run though I am generally just trying to improve my digestion and increase my metabolism as well as resolving the constipation issue.

Javizy
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 945

Angor wrote: My main problem is gas and diarrhea and also right now a stubborn UTI. So, the UTI speaks for candida and the gas speaks for SIBO.

Are you sure the UTI is fungal? Various microbes can cause them. Do you ever get fungal infections elsewhere or a thick white coating on the tongue? Attributing generalised symptoms like constipation, fatigue etc to candida can seriously send you in the wrong direction. For many people, susceptibility to infection is just another symptom of an underlying problem(s). SIBO isn’t a result of antibiotic use as far as I’m aware, so you should be questioning how or why microbes have been able to invade your small intestine.

Angor wrote: Right now I’m just thinking about how I should tackle the problem with my restricted diet. I can’t eat only cucumber, zucchini and eggs for years. I just don’t know what to do exactly … How could one combinate a diet for candida and at the same time SIBO.

Is that literally all you’re eating right now? How much protein are you getting with so little carbs? What about calories? Are you losing weight? Have you developed other symptoms like cold intolerance, trouble sleeping, hair loss etc? Do your original problems seem to be getting better or worse?

It’s wise to keep microbes in mind, but it’s ultimately your body that matters. What if slow metabolism, poor glucose handling, chronic inflammation, weakened immunity, poor thyroid hormone conversion etc are issues for you? Is your current diet giving your body the nutrition it needs to address such potential issues?

I’d guess your problems are pretty unique, and Latka’s experience with fruit shows you the value of self-experimentation and thinking past dogma. I don’t know what advice to give you except to continue researching, testing (if possible), experimenting and never taking anything for granted. If you settle in on the wrong approach or accept the wrong set of beliefs, you might get stuck in a rut for a long time.

Angor

Javizy wrote:
    Are you sure the UTI is fungal? SIBO isn’t a result of antibiotic use as far as I’m aware, so you should be questioning how or why microbes have been able to invade your small intestine.

No I can’t be sure, but the UTI started soon after me starting with the diet and the antifungals. I interpreted this as a die-off symptom.

I got my issues after being pregnant 7 years a go. The symptoms have always revolved around abdominal issuses; diarrhea, gas, pain, a feeling of inflamation of the gut.

But I have had seborrich eczema and yeast infections but not so serious that it couldn’t be cured with the ointments from the pharmacist.

If I got die-off from SF722 could this be a safe sign of candida, or could you feel ill anyway?

Javizy wrote:
    Is that literally all you’re eating right now? How much protein are you getting with so little carbs? What about calories? Are you losing weight? Have you developed other symptoms like cold intolerance, trouble sleeping, hair loss etc? Do your original problems seem to be getting better or worse?

Not really, I also ate green beans and broccoli, which messed me up. But, pretty much for the last two weeks. But I do make a dessert of Creamed Coconut and rhubarb also. I’m not loosing weight at all, not that I have any weight to loose.

I eat a lot of fat. Ghee, Coconut Oil, Olive Oil, Sesame Oil. A couple of weeks ago I was terribly, terribly tired and had RSL. I started drinking nettle tea and suddenly I started to feel better. So, regarding the fatigue I feel better than in a long time. But my stomach is bad, actually, gas, diarrhea 🙁 I don’t know what to do. It feels like everything makes me ill.

Javizy wrote:
    It’s wise to keep microbes in mind, but it’s ultimately your body that matters. What if slow metabolism, poor glucose handling, chronic inflammation, weakened immunity, poor thyroid hormone conversion etc are issues for you? Is your current diet giving your body the nutrition it needs to address such potential issues?

I’ve tested my thyroid. At first my TSH looked bad, but then they did another more specified test and my T3 was just a litte, little off, but nothing major. The doctor said it was nothing. I hope I get the nutrition I need. The cucumber/zucchini question was more of a is-this-all-I-can-eat-for-the-rest-of-my-life-since-everything-else-makes-me-sick kind of question 🙂 But I do eat pretty damn restricted, I can’t get a lot of carbs at all. Where do you get your carbs from?

Javizy wrote: I’d guess your problems are pretty unique, and Latka’s experience with fruit shows you the value of self-experimentation and thinking past dogma. I don’t know what advice to give you except to continue researching, testing (if possible), experimenting and never taking anything for granted. If you settle in on the wrong approach or accept the wrong set of beliefs, you might get stuck in a rut for a long time.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help. It feels a little tough since I don’t know if I’m going down the right path, but it should be bacterial/fungus-related due to the “good” response to antifungals and antibacterials.

Angor

Latka wrote:
    If your digestion is weak and you are not producing enough enzymes for breaking down fiber that already can give fiber intolerance issues. Not sure it always would indicate SIBO. And gas can also be caused by Candida overgrowth. Do you get bloated as well?

There isn’t supposed to any Candida in the small intestine as far as I understand. But I’m thinking, if there is Candida overgrowht in the colon and if the valve between colon and small intestine doesn’t work properly (as in the case of SIBO it doesnt) then what would stop Candida from expanding into the small intestine too? Then again if it did get there, would it not regulate the bacterial overgrowth there? But I guess it is possible to have both.

Hello Latka! I do get bloated, not always but a couple of times a week. But I think it was worse before.

That sounds possible, but it doesn’t really feel like my problems are based in the small intestine. It feels like it’s coming to the colon. For example, I used to do enams a couple of years ago (the kinds with laxitives that you buy at the pharmacist) and it would make me feel better to have an empty colon. It made me less gassy and the inflamed feeling went away. Do you know if SIBO can cause symptoms only from the small intestine or if you could get symptoms in the colon as well?

Latka wrote: Funny thing about those Swedish bitters: when I googled them after not finding them here even though I live in Scandinavia (next door to Sweden really), I found out that they are actually Swiss!

Haha. Yeah that makes no sense. Oh, really. Norway, right? I just read it under your avtar 🙂

Latka wrote: I understand your frustration with the very restricted diet. I personally don’t follow this diet or that any more. i test things for myself and choose foods that I can digest well. if something gives me gas or bloating I try to eliminate it. Though I play around with this too. For example I’ve found out that I can have eggs but just not in the same meal I have certain veggies (ie cabbage). I can also have raw cauliflower salad on its own just fine, whereas if I have it as part of a bigger meal I will get gas afterwards. In the long run though I am generally just trying to improve my digestion and increase my metabolism as well as resolving the constipation issue.

Good tip about the combination of foods. I never think about that! I’ll really start paying attention. Thank you yet agaian! I wish you the best with your diet and health.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Everything gives me gas – why?’ is closed to new replies.