Emotional Rollercoaster

Home The Candida Forum Your Stories & Journals Emotional Rollercoaster

This topic contains 12 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Lucylu 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Mrs.Carly
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 4

I think I’m losing my mind…really I do. I’ve been following what I thought was the candida diet for the past 5 weeks. I went to a holistic doctor originally for allergy/food intolerance testing. According to the results that I received in how my body reacts to yeast products, she felt that I have a candida overgrowth. I have to say I agree with her as I had heard about it in the past. Well, she gave me a food plan that goes according to my allergy results, which by the way came back as intolerant to gluten, casein, whey, lime, most melons, cranberries, most beans, and an actual allergy to yeast and egg. I eliminated these foods and my abdominal pain went away. I’m also not nearly as gassy as I once was, PHEW!

The problem is that the list she gave me included starchy foods that I could eat, coffee, grapefruit was allowed, she just told me to stay away from sugars and use stevia instead. She also told me to stay away from Chocolate and black tea. I have followed her to the letter, but after 3 weeks I started doing my own research and found that I should NOT be eating potatoes, grapefruit, and other starches (Rice, corn), so I cut that out, I felt like CRAP for 4 straight days, goodness! It was awful. I emailed my holistic dr. and she said that I was experiencing some die off symptoms. Great, I figured that one out. Here is my issue, she NEVER mentioned that I could not have coffee. I am very annoyed by this as I have continued to drink my coffee and take my probiotics (Anyone heard of syntol). At first she told me I would only have to be on this strict program for 6 weeks, then would meet with her and go from there, BUT after telling her about my die off symptoms and my concerns, she had me buy another bottle of Snytol to extend it to 9 weeks on this diet.

I have not cheated ONCE, at least not on purpose. No cakes, no cookies, no sugar, NOTHING!!!!!!!! I would hate to think that the past 5 weeks has been a total waste because of what I did NOT know, and because of coffee. I have been irritable (god bless my husband for putting up with me), and just EXHAUSTED!! I keep hearing about how people are getting this great energy boost. Where the heck is mine!!??!?!? I’m struggling so much, ESPECIALLY because of the stupid allergies that I have on top of this candida stuff. I am SO SO SO scared that I will never get better. I took that candida spit test and WOW, okay yea it seems that things are still really bad. it took no time for my spit to create strands and make it’s way to the bottom (nasty). What are you guys eating? Please give me some kinda help, give me an example of what you are eating. I feel like I’m hungry all the time, I usually feel a slight headache too on most days. Maybe 8 glasses a water isn’t enough for me and I need to up the intake. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I don’t feel like I’m getting enough clear guidance from my holistic doctor.

Thanks,
    carly

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Hello, and welcome to the forum. Your story is very typical for almost anyone who has visited a doctor in order to obtain directions for a Candida cure.

Quote: I am very annoyed by this as I have continued to drink my coffee and take my probiotics.

Reply: I’m guessing you’re read our opinions concerning coffee, with our without caffeine.

Quote: Anyone heard of syntol?

Reply: Syntol generally contains a 13.5-billion count and eight strains of beneficial bacteria. This is alright for the first month or so, but it wouldn’t work on a long term basis, it’s just too weak. After finishing the bottle, you should change to a higher count and more strains.

The following link is the forum’s general protocol, the one we’ve been telling the members about for months, and it seems to be helping most of them if not all.

http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postsm5764_From-Able-and-Raster-The-Protocol.aspx#post5764

Let us know if you have questions.

Able

Mrs.Carly

Yea, I’ve been following the program as was given to me by my holistic doctor (the first 3 weeks). In the past 2 weeks I’ve cut out pretty much all starches, and fruits. My meals consist of chicken, lean beef, lean ground pork, turkey breast, fish, and shrimp. My carbs are mainly from green veggies (Okra, spinach, lettuce, etc.). My fats come from coconut oil, olive oil, flax seeds and avocado. Calories average 1300-1500 per day, carbs are usually less than 60 grams per day. I notice that I get headaches almost daily and had a bad headache today. I’ve stopped drinking coffee, and this is my second day not drinking coffee. Even so, when I DID drink coffee, it has never been more than a half a cup. I’m not a huge coffee drinker. I’m wondering if I should cut nuts out of my diet too. I notice that although I love almonds, walnuts, and seeds, I get some stomach discomfort after eating them. On a good note, I’ve lost 12 pounds in the past 5 weeks. My weight is much easier to keep off than before. I’ve always struggled with weight loss, but after discovering that “good for you foods” like oatmeal, whole wheat products, and glutenous products are REALLY REALLY REALLY bad for my body. I can’t tolerate it at all.

I’m just still concerned that I’m “cheating”. I don’t mean to, but because of the headaches I’m wondering if I’m still consuming something that I should not.

Thanks for your help

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Good evening, Mrs. Carly.

You seem to be eating an awful lot of animal protein which really doesn’t have a positive effect on a Candida infestation. One reason is the ammonia that’s released from the protein when it breaks down in the body. Ammonia is beneficial to the Candida, and not your liver which is already working hard to remove the toxins released by both the dying and living Candida. Try sticking mostly to organ eggs for your protein, and adding fish and organic chicken (if possible) to your meals three or four times a week for at least a while. You really should be eating pork or beef at all during the treatment.

You should definitely remove all nuts and seeds from your diet for at least a month, and then perhaps eat on almonds a few times a week for another month or two. Nuts generally are hard on the digestive system, plus they all contain a certain amount of mold which is detrimental to the Candida treatment.

You mentioned both oatmeal and whole wheat products; if you’re eating regular supermarket oatmeal, this can feed the Candida, so can all wheat, even whole wheat. An excellent oat product which is acceptable for the diet is organic oat bran made by Bob’s Red Mill. Amazon carries this product.
    http://www.amazon.com/Bobs-Red-Mill-Organic-18-Ounce/dp/B000ED9L9E

If you’ve not already done so, you really should read the “Allowed Foods” post.
    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst1136_ALLOWED-FOODS-LIST.aspx

Let us know if you have questions.

Able

Mrs.Carly

I don’t eat oatmeal, I used to, but i showed an allergic reaction to it.I don’t eat wheat products…I was saying that I USED to, and the years of eating this way led to this. I can’t eat eggs, Allergic to it. The reason why I eat so much meat is because I’m starving, all the time. I am always hungry and never feel full. I’ve even cut back on exercising in hopes that will help. It hasn’t. Chicken is nasty heated up (I work 40-50 hours a week and rely on leftovers a lot), but I will eat more of it if you think it will help.

So basically this diet is just veggies mainly? WOW, not really a whole lot you can do in a day when you are living off of just vegetables. I still have to have energy to go to work, and the gym. I’ve already dedicated 5 weeks to this. I don’t want to dedicate much more. I want to eat fruits again. I want to stop feeling so tired every single day. For the past 10 years of my life I’ve had abdominal pain from eating foods I’m allergic to. This doesn’t seem much better. I still don’t feel very good. I don’t mind avoiding sugar, but I’m also not supposed to eat the same thing every day. My doctor told me if I eat chicken, I can’t eat it again for 3 days. Doesn’t leave a lot of choices if I eat chicken one day, and Fish the next, and just vegetables the next day? I just don’t understand how I can live on just vegetables! I am already starving as it is!! Do you have any other recommendations??

This is why I asked for an example of what people are eating in a day, a menu if you will. I already know about the list, but you are saying not to eat much meat. I am EXTREMELY confused. If someone would just give me a generic menu, It would be helpful.

meal 1: X Y Z
    Meal 2: X Y Z

Thanks

monita
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 28

Hi Carly,

I know what you’re going through, it can be really difficult in the beginning to try to think of different things to eat and to try to plan meals… especially when you have to go to work. I know that I was so used to going out to buy a sandwhich, soup, some sushi or other such foodstuffs readily available in the shops. I also loved cereal and coffee for breakfast and found this hard to give up.

There is a recipe section within the Forum that all the members have been adding to. This is split up into Breakfast, Main meals and snacks. This has helped me quite a bit.

To give you an idea of what I would have for a few days though:

Day 1
    -Breakfast: Small pot of natural, unsweetened, Greek yogurt (sometimes with a slice of coconut bread with coconut oil on it if I am hungry).
    -Lunch: Large bowl of veggie noodle soup made from yeast and sugar free stock (any veg on the allowed list with some buckwheat noodles, often called ‘Soba’ noodles) with two or three slices of coconut bread with coconut oil on it. (I make the soup in the morning and put it in a flask for work)
    -Snack: coconut cookies
    -Evening Meal: White fish marinated in olive oil and a few spices or ‘coconut aminos’ with a variety of vegetables.

Day 2
    -Breakfast: small glass of kefir and a few coconut pancakes with a dollop of Natural greek yogurt
    -Lunch: Large bowl of veggie soup (different veggies to the day before) with a few slices of coconut bread
    – Snack: Small pot of Natural greek yogurt
    – Evening Meal: Green veggie egg foo yung (from forum recipes)

Another great breakfast is a couple of soft boiled eggs with a few slices of toasted coconut bread. You can find the recipe for two versions of the bread in the forum recipe section under main meals I believe.

My boyfriend has perfected a korma curry recipe made with a variety of mild spices and coconut milk and coconut cream. I have that maybe once a fortnight with chicken, some buckwheat and two or three steamed veggies e.g butternut squash and broccoli. I also have stirfry quite a bit (without rice of course) and just add a small handful of frozen prawns or a few small strips of chicken and use oil mixed with some garlic and light spices or some ‘coconut aminos’.

I try to have a couple of veggie days followed by a ‘meat/fish’ day then veggie days followed by a meat day in an attempt to try to keep amonia producing foods to a minimum.

I would say that the coconut bread is a lifesaver in terms of hunger control. I’m now at the stage where I am not hounded by hunger in between meals. My meals tend to fill me up for quite some time.

I hope you’ve found this helpful. :o)

Lucylu
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 345

Hi Mrs Carly. I feel for you with the hunger, it’s certainly tough at the start. I’ve found that buckwheat bread (look at the recipe threads) & cooked buckwheat have been a life saver. Also I’ve found plain buckwheat crispbread thats a handy filler too. My daily diet would look something like:-

Breakfast – 3 poached organic eggs on buckwheat bread (spread with coconut flour). I realise you can’t have eggs so how about avocado?

Late morning – Chicken “gruel”!! Every few days I boil up the bones of an organic chicken, throw loads of veg in, a few handfuls of buckwheat to thinken… cook tthrough, season & blitz. Makes a nice thick soup. a big bowl of it certainly fills a gap.

Early Afternoon – A mix of all types of salad leaves, rocket, pea sprouts, alfafa, an avodaco, homemade coleslaw/ dressing, maybe some leftover chicken or a tin of sardines or wild salmon.

Late afternoon – Buckwheat crispbreads with coconut oil. I found some black olive pate today (just black olives, olive oil, salt) so thats nice and tasty on them.

Dinner – either organic chicken or some sort of wild fish. The fish is tasty spread with coconut oil and baked/ grilled. Served with roast veg (I do several days worth at a time – slow cook eggplant, red onion, white onion, garlic, zucchini, loadsa olive oil, salt & pepper – cover tightly so it goes mushy and holds the flavour rather than crisping & drying out). I usually have a few days worth of mashed swede in the fridge too – this serves instead of potatoes. Jerusalem artichokes every 2nd day… either mashed or roasted in chunks – they’re v tasty. And then some steamed veg like broccoli or spinach too. Having such a wide selection of veg I could easily go without the chicken/ fish every 3rd day… but you have to make sure all the rest is pretty tasty and also looks good on the plate otherwise its just not going to satisfy!

Late snack – I usually don’t need one after the big dinner but I’ve made up a sweet zucchini cake which satisfies any late night sugar cravings – recipe on the recipe thread.

Throughout the day I drink lemon squeezed into hot water, probably 12 mugs. Always have one nearby… even in a travel mug when I’m in the car! This probably staves off any hunger too.

Best of luck with it… I hope you work out soon what suits and what fills you up.

Lucy

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

You can eat oat and rice bran; these are the healthy parts of the grain and contain no starch or sugars.

Also try the pumpkin muffin bread recipe.

Buckwheat is a great item to eat; be sure to balance it off with some cod liver oil to counteract the inflammation properties of the buckwheat.

Chicken sausage is also a great item (get the fresh non packaged stuff).

Switch to green tea instead of coffee; it has anti-inflammatory properties.

Read the “about that hunger” post.

Eat more seafood and switch between seafood and chicken.

Add inulin to your food to heal the leaky gut. Get a stronger probiotic or make some kefir.

-Raster

Mrs.Carly

Thanks for the suggestions…the diet is more difficult for me because of the 20 something foods that i showed a reaction to. Most of these foods were of course things that I ate daily, like eggs.

I’ve never tried buckwheat, I will look into that. For some reason I have a really hard time with grains. I have a hard time with everything! Except protein and a few vegetables.

Well here is to giving it my best shot while out of town for thanksgiving week. I haven’t “cheated” on my “avoid these foods” plan for my food allergies. I have avoided all forms of sugar. It isn’t so bad anymore. Sometimes my cravings are still there but I’m so used to saying no that it is just getting easier.

Thomas
    Topics: 71
    Replies: 605

Mrs.Carly wrote: Thanks for the suggestions…the diet is more difficult for me because of the 20 something foods that i showed a reaction to. Most of these foods were of course things that I ate daily, like eggs.

Hi Mrs, Carly! I have trouble with my health and diet for many many years and even I tried and try to figure out what I am allergic too and write a daily food journal. I am not managing to get it straight what I am allergic too.

When I have a reaction I think ahh, that’s it. So I stop with it but still I am feeling bad. Then after some days I might try it again. I want to get one single week symptom free so I can test single foods. I never managed to get that start. I even went on a fasting, thinking if I don’t eat anything I will get my start. But it didn’t work out either hundred percent, it worked some but I didn’t get totally sympthomfree. Maybe the candia was dying off while fasting and I felt terrible from that. I have no Idea. Can you tell me what you did to be so sure that you are allergic to which food?

What are the most reliable testing s for food? When I ask my doctor he said that one cant test food. I should write down what I eat. I do this for 8 month now but I am not wiser.

thanks
    Thomas

Mrs.Carly

Hi Thomas! Western medicine, my my humble opinion, do not believe in treating the problem, but rather the symptoms. You take pills for that, then have to take more pills for the side effect so on. I went to a holistic doctor here in Town. She did a blood test…it cost me $350.00 for this very extensive blood test but I showed a positive reaction to several foods and an actual allergic reaction to yeast and eggs. According to her, food intolerance and food allergies are just different in that one shows an immediate reaction (and allergies can be more severe) and the other shows a delayed reaction (up to 3 days later it can pop up). I paid for the food allergy test and the visits with the holistic doctor out of my own pocket, insurance will not cover, BUT I no longer have the abdominal and back pains i used to have when I cut it out. Most of my migraines have gone away too. I’m still battling the candida though. After my thanksgiving week vacation I am going to really reevaluate my diet and make some more cuts. I am not cheating by any means, but there are some things that I can do to improve, for sure.

I would HIGHLY recommend seeking a holistic doctor. She is the one that told me about the candida overgrowth (well I had come across this possibility several years ago, but didn’t want to do the diet). Since then, my thoughts have changed!

Thomas
    Topics: 71
    Replies: 605

Mrs.Carly wrote: Hi Thomas! Western medicine, my my humble opinion, do not believe in treating the problem, but rather the symptoms. You take pills for that, then have to take more pills for the side effect so on. I went to a holistic doctor here in Town. She did a blood test…it cost me $350.00 for this very extensive blood test but I showed a positive reaction to several foods and an actual allergic reaction to yeast and eggs. According to her, food intolerance and food allergies are just different in that one shows an immediate reaction (and allergies can be more severe) and the other shows a delayed reaction (up to 3 days later it can pop up). I paid for the food allergy test and the visits with the holistic doctor out of my own pocket, insurance will not cover, BUT I no longer have the abdominal and back pains i used to have when I cut it out. Most of my migraines have gone away too. I’m still battling the candida though. After my thanksgiving week vacation I am going to really reevaluate my diet and make some more cuts. I am not cheating by any means, but there are some things that I can do to improve, for sure.

I would HIGHLY recommend seeking a holistic doctor. She is the one that told me about the candida overgrowth (well I had come across this possibility several years ago, but didn’t want to do the diet). Since then, my thoughts have changed!

Thank you for your answer. If I understand you right it is possible to test all food and problems food related with a blood test? What do I search for, what is the name of the procedure? Here in Sweden it is very difficult to find a holistic doctor. I heard that 3 doctors are in problems, they want to remove their licence because they, as normal doctors gave people homoeopathic medicine. For me to find one good holistic doctor I think I will have to google with the right search words.

yours
    thomas

Lucylu
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 345

Mrs Carly & Thomas – It’s actually a holistic doctor that diagnosed my candida too. she does full food allergy testing using a vega test machine – there’s a picture and explanantion in this link:- http://drjenniferdaly.com/treatments.html
    It takes an hour for her to take a history of your symptoms & go through all the things you eat. She’s a medical doctor as well as having several qualifications in alternative areas. Inititial consultation €85 and follow on is €70. Thomas, it would be worth you flying over to see her if you can’t find anyone locally!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Emotional Rollercoaster’ is closed to new replies.