Documenting My Healing Journey On Youtube

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Documenting My Healing Journey On Youtube

This topic contains 34 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Holistic Health Journal 4 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author

Holistic Health Journal
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 8

Hi, my name is PJ. I have a severe candida overgrowth that has taken over my life. I’m documenting my health journey on Youtube to hopefully help people with my story. I’m also looking for advice from others who have beaten candida. I have questions about the treatment I’ve received so far, and what I should do next.

http://www.youtube.com/user/HolisticHealthJ

I’ve been struggling with severe acne, social anxiety and depression for ten years (since I was 14). November 2012 I realized that I needed to take control of my health. I could not live in pain any longer.

First I made a bunch of lifestyle changes on my own. When I failed to get any better I saw a naturopath. This guy had no idea how to help me, and never once mentioned candida, food allergies, or my immune system. He just told me to take a bunch of supplements. So when that didn’t help, I saw another naturopath Aug 2013 who practices functional medicine. He did a bunch of tests on me (allergies, hormones, vitamin D, thyroid). The results came back with a bunch of food allergies, so he had me on a really good diet while avoiding my food allergies for 2 months.

Then he had me do a detox. During the detox I developed chronic fatigue that I’ve never had before. This fatigue NEVER WENT AWAY. After seeing him again, he concluded that I must have an infection (candida), so I took a stool test by Genova Diagnostics. The results came back revealing severe fungi/yeast/candida (+3).

My questions for everyone reading are about the treatment of candida. For treatment he had me on a candida diet like this website says, had me take liquid oral nystatin for a total of 17 days, and put me on a huge dose probiotics. I must have had a die off reaction because for 20 days I didn’t sleep day or night. Then he gave me 7.5mg of melatonin to try and sleep. It allows me to get 5-6 hours. After I started sleeping again I pretty much went back to having chronic fatigue. I’ve heard that liquid Nystatin, which is 50% sugar, will just feed the candida. I’m wondering if doing this even helped.

This video basically has all my current questions:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-d-0fmfCx0&list=UUe0nu1fWzB8VaVC4Ab87Wdg

I have an appointment on march 18th so I’ll be able to see what he says about all this and see what he recommends I do next.

It’s a little bit curious to me that it’s taken this long to get tested for candida. I mean, my doctor seems extremely knowledgeable, but you would think from my symptoms that he would have thought of candida as the root cause right away. I’m not sure if hes an expert on the matter. So, I’ve done a lot of my own research. I read “The Candida Cure” by Ann Boroch. I’m thinking about following her 90 day protocol. Has anyone followed her protocol and had great results? I want to use Nystatin tablets as the antifungal.

My 2 big questions are: 1.) What do you think of the treatments/protocols my doctor has had me do so far? Does he seem like he knows what he’s doing? and 2.) What do you think of Ann Boroch’s program and taking nystatin again, but taking tablets instead of liquid.

Thanks to all who read and reply, I really appreciate it!
    -PJ

TheChosenOne
    Participant
    Topics: 34
    Replies: 410

Holistic Health Journal;55478 wrote: He did a bunch of tests on me (allergies, hormones, vitamin D, thyroid). The results came back with a bunch of food allergies, so he had me on a really good diet while avoiding my food allergies for 2 months.

What were the results of the vitamin D, thyroid and hormones tests?
    Candida is sometimes called ‘leaky gut syndrome’, because the candida causes little food particles to be able to enter the blood stream. This can cause food allergies. It is possible that once you solve your candida problem, your food allergies disappear.

Holistic Health Journal;55478 wrote: Then he had me do a detox. During the detox I developed chronic fatigue that I’ve never had before. This fatigue NEVER WENT AWAY. After seeing him again, he concluded that I must have an infection (candida), so I took a stool test by Genova Diagnostics. The results came back revealing severe fungi/yeast/candida (+3).

The chronic fatigue is probably die off. If your die off is too heavy, lessen the amount of antifungals/probiotics. Rushing into a cure can be damaging for your body (especially the liver). Doing a detox is one of the major parts of your treatment, but it shouldn’t last longer than 7 days.
    What are you doing during this detox? How do you protect your liver?
    You should take molybdenum and milk thistle as long as you experience die off.

Holistic Health Journal;55478 wrote: My questions for everyone reading are about the treatment of candida. For treatment he had me on a candida diet like this website says, had me take liquid oral nystatin for a total of 17 days, and put me on a huge dose probiotics. I must have had a die off reaction because for 20 days I didn’t sleep day or night. Then he gave me 7.5mg of melatonin to try and sleep. It allows me to get 5-6 hours. After I started sleeping again I pretty much went back to having chronic fatigue. I’ve heard that liquid Nystatin, which is 50% sugar, will just feed the candida. I’m wondering if doing this even helped.

Supplementing melatonin to be able to sleep is NOT a good idea. Not being able to sleep mean that the treatment is too heavy. As long as you are having die off, the candida is dying and you make progress. There is no need to rush into this. Most people can ‘cure’ themselves within 6-18 months.

Holistic Health Journal;55478 wrote: What do you think of Ann Boroch’s program and taking nystatin again, but taking tablets instead of liquid.

Having a 90 day cure for candida sounds like a salestrick. Every candida infestation is different, so putting a date on a cure is ridiculus. The advise she gives on her website seems the be fine, but I don’t know how complete this information is. There is a sticky on this forum that explains how you can start your treatment.
    There are a lot of people that use Rx antifungals, like Nystatin. Nystatin is the most used and probably also the most safe Rx antifungal. The problem with Rx antifungals is that candida can build resistance against these types of antifungals. If you need Rx antifungals in case of an emergency, you can’t use these type anymore. Rx antifungals should only be used for acute infestations, not for chronic ones.
    You have to look into whole food antifungals, like brussels sprouts, extra virgin coconut oil, caprylic acid, oregano oil and red thyme (be careful with this one, can cause allergic reactions). I was able to get the candida under control, using these antifungals.

PS: Candida is likely to be a symptom of an underlying disease. A candida infestation only occurs if your immune system is suppressed. This can be caused by prior antibiotics use. Have you used antibiotics in your life?
    You said that you have low testosterone and depression (I know, this is also a candida symptom). This lightly points towards mercury poisoning (which also suppresses your immune system).
    Don’t be too worried about this last paragraph. First, get your candida under control, then you have to figure out what caused the candida.

Vegan Catlady
    Replies: 626

Im sorry about your experience with the docs.

In my experience its hard to find one that you can be comfortable with, even harder with an illness that some do not recognize.

I have heard good things about Nystatin when the infection is not terribly severe.
    Dont feel bad though if in the end it doesnt do the job…its just one way to handle this.

If you do end up taking it again, there are studies that you can research showing some supplements taken WITH certain antifungal drugs help them to work better.
    I dont have those links offhand, but they are out there 🙂

Also, your chronic fatigue came as a result of detoxing, if I understood what you posted correctly.
    Detoxing should open channels of elimination, but im not sure what your detox protocol was.

If in the process of detoxing you have toxins circulating around the body and getting re-absorbed, this would be a potential result.

Its very possible you need to move your lymph or get your kidneys filtering.

Fatigue is also a result of adrenal exhaustion.
    Sometimes people express this with anxiety and sleeplessness;sometimes this evolves into a complete crash and burn.

I can only speak from experience, but these are the things my naturopath has shared with me.
    I now take teas to work on lymph and kidneys, and I take an adrenal support and an endocrine system support herbal remedy.

You can look-up different issues here and see if what is said resonates with you-
    http://www.rawfigs.com/?s=chronic+fatigue&reg=0
    Dr Morse isnt for everybody,lol, as he is a naturopath with a spiritual bent to him, so dont feel bad if its not for you….but there are several vids on candida and all kinds of issues if you search for them.
    He answers letter on youtube by people like you and me, for other practitioners to learn from.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I also agree that melatonin should not be taken long term. The fatigue likely will improve as you detox and as your organs heal. The melatonin is also likely making you sleepy as a side effect during the day after.

There’s a variety of things I’ve heard about nystatin and I am no expert about it, but do your due diligence with the research on it. Some people have had bad and good experiences, etc. My naturopath thinks it makes the yeast go deeper in the body. There are a variety of opinions like I said.

-raster

rambolincoln
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 12

In your youtube video you mention that you are avoiding fruit. This part of the diet some candida practitioners suggest is BS. All fruits can be eaten. Fruits contain complex sugars which are broken down differently than straight processed sugars. The sugars are broken down slowly, and the body registers a very slight rise in glucose, only slightly higher than the registered glucose increase of regular foods, compared to the huge spikes seen from processed sugars. The McCombs plan includes fruits. The body needs sugars for many reasons, and should not be excluded lightly.

Some say that the body will absorb the fruit before candida does. Candida does not really specialize in breaking down complex sugars. It is more reactive to straight sugars. I recall reading of a case on curezone where an older man with long term candida, on a no-fruit plan, alarmingly lost his ability to digest food. It was all coming out of him undigested, with large amounts of fungal structures. His naturopath, an experienced candida practitioner, told him to go on an all fruit diet and he was able to digest again. The bacteria ate it before the candida did, and he was able to grow back the small remnants of his flora in a short amount of time, digest his food again, saving his life. I wish I could find that post again. There are arguments that a high fruit, low fat diet is a more proper Candida plan, which many promote on curezone.

I highly would recommend researching the matter before excluding fruit sugars.

TheChosenOne
    Participant

rambolincoln;55488 wrote: In your youtube video you mention that you are avoiding fruit. This part of the diet some candida practitioners suggest is BS. All fruits can be eaten. Fruits contain complex sugars which are broken down differently than straight processed sugars. The sugars are broken down slowly, and the body registers a very slight rise in glucose, only slightly higher than the registered glucose increase of regular foods, compared to the huge spikes seen from processed sugars. The McCombs plan includes fruits. The body needs sugars for many reasons, and should not be excluded lightly.

The fact that your body need sugar is true. But there are a lot of sugars vegetables and also alternatives like coconut flour, buckwheat and oat bran. Your body needs fats much more than sugar.
    If you can eat fruits in the beginning of your diet depends on how severe your infestation is. I’d recommend to start the diet with fruits and see if you can progress. If you can include fruits in your diet, you will progress much faster since fruits are known to stabilize the blood sugar balance. I’d also recommend it during the detox period. If you feel that fruits hinder your treatment, you should cut them out.

TheChosenOne
    Participant

rambolincoln;55488 wrote: There are arguments that a high fruit, low fat diet is a more proper Candida plan, which many promote on curezone.

The diet you are referring to is the 80 10 10 diet. It seems to work for some people, but it doesn’t work for most people. Furthermore, cutting out fats can be dangerous and can lead to neurological problems.

Vegan Catlady

TheChosenOne;55492 wrote:

There are arguments that a high fruit, low fat diet is a more proper Candida plan, which many promote on curezone.

The diet you are referring to is the 80 10 10 diet. It seems to work for some people, but it doesn’t work for most people. Furthermore, cutting out fats can be dangerous and can lead to neurological problems.

I did 80-10-10 for a while (8 months), and the funny thing is that Graham says fruit will CURE candida, and this was not at all my experience.

I had no issue with not taking in overt-fats. Cutting out fats doesnt mean you dont take in any fats….its just means that on this particular diet you arent adding-in unnatural fats that have been processed out of plants in the form of oils.
    The issue of neurological problems isnt one that anyone I know on the diet long-term has problems with. I dont know, the idea that consuming processed oil is necessary for neurological health is very weird.

I dont advocate the diet, but I never felt better while I was on it.

Once you have overgrowth, fruit fuels it. Didnt cause it, but fueled it.

Once overgrowth is in control somewhat, you can add fruit back in slowly.

Its a matter of experience, not what famous authors say, unfortunately for me.
    I would LOVE to be on an all fruit diet right now, as it will clean your body out really well.

Holistic Health Journal

To clarify on my chronic fatigue: I didn’t have it until my doctor put me on a detox, and this wasn’t a candida detox or candida treatment at all. He didn’t know I had candida at this time. For this detox diet I was restricted to eating veggies and fruit, beans and legumes, quinoa, fish and seeds. There were also tons of supplements with the detox. I was on a bunch of stuff to assist my liver and kidneys with elimination. Half way through this detox, and still to this day, I have chronic fatigue symptoms. It wasn’t until 3 months later that we found out about the candida and started treatment for that. That’s when I started the candida diet, nystatin, and melatonin. Now my energy levels are up and super down, pretty much still chronic fatigue. I agree with you guys that melatonin shouldn’t be taken long term, or maybe even at all, since I think my insomnia was due to die off toxins that weren’t leaving my body, which could have been helped by maybe molybdenum? Not sure though. Thank you to all who replied you are helping me very much. 🙂

Vegan Catlady

I get so frustrated when docs call eliminating junk food a detox.
    ” For this detox diet I was restricted to eating veggies and fruit, beans and legumes, quinoa, fish and seeds. There were also tons of supplements with the detox. I was on a bunch of stuff to assist my liver and kidneys with elimination.”

A detox shouldnt burden your body with so much fiber and fat. Fish has too many contaminants to be on a detox.
    If you werent detoxing, this is a super healthy diet.

A detox usually consists of very easily digestible whole-foods, like fruit . Some veggies are okay, but most are not.
    Veggies are traditionally added to a detox when the detox is moving too fast, and it needs something clean to slow it down.

Since you said there were many supplements,and you were eating challenging-to-digest foods such as beans and quinoa and fish, I would say your bod was and still is overwhelmed with whats in it. Its quite possible that once you clean it out and get everything filtering nice, your fatigue will only be a matter of building your adrenals up.

Im a fan of keeping it simple.
    Simple foods, very few supplements. This way its much easier to see what helps and what doesnt.

dvjorge
    Participant
    Topics: 283
    Replies: 1368

Please, DON’T eat fruits if you want to be cured of an intestinal yeast overgrowth.

Fructose is a high medium growth for most candida species It also promotes germ tube formations harder to treat. Fruits CAN NOT be eaten by candida sufferers. Be careful with what you read in Internet. The web is plagued of myths and invents about this syndrome.

Effect of dietary carbohydrates on the in vitro epithelial adhesion of Candida albicans, Candida tropicalis, and Candida krusei.
    Pizzo G1, Giuliana G, Milici ME, Giangreco R.
    Author information
    Abstract
    Adhesion to epithelial surfaces is considered as a critical step in the pathogenesis of oral candidosis. Therefore, the effects of the most commonly consumed dietary carbohydrates on the adhesion of Candida albicans, Candida tropicalis, and Candida krusei to monolayered HeLa cells were investigated. Adherence of C. albicans and C. tropicalis appeared significantly promoted by incubation in defined medium containing a high concentration (500 mM) of fructose, glucose, maltose, and sucrose (p < 0.001). C. albicans organisms grown in sucrose elicited maximal increase in adhesion, whereas adhesion of C. tropicalis and C. krusei was enhanced to the greatest extent when cultured in glucose. Maltose and fructose also promoted adherence of C. albicans and C. tropicalis (p 0.01). Xylitol only significantly reduced adherence of C. albicans (p < 0.001). These results suggest that the frequent consumption of carbohydrates, such as sucrose, glucose, maltose, or fructose, might represent a risk factor for oral candidosis. The limitation of their consumption by substituting xylitol or sorbitol could be of value in the control of oral Candida colonization and infection.

Influence of fructose on Candida albicans germ tube production.
    Vidotto V1, Sinicco A, Accattatis G, Aoki S.
    Author information
    Abstract
    The influence of different fructose concentrations (5, 3, 1 and 0 g/l) was tested on Germ Tube (GT) production by Candida albicans strain AS3P, using a Minimal Synthetic Medium (MSM) without (NH4)2SO4. The results obtained showed good GT production in the presence of all the different fructose concentrations and in the absence of any nitrogen source. The greatest GT production was obtained with 3 g/l of fructose vs 1 g/l of glucose, after 4 hr of incubation. On the other hand fructose consumption was lower than that of glucose at all concentrations over the 4 hour period. The data obtained may suggest that fructose is metabolized in a different way from glucose for GT production by C. albicans.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Vegan Catlady;55497 wrote: I get so frustrated when docs call eliminating junk food a detox.
    ” For this detox diet I was restricted to eating veggies and fruit, beans and legumes, quinoa, fish and seeds. There were also tons of supplements with the detox. I was on a bunch of stuff to assist my liver and kidneys with elimination.”

A detox shouldnt burden your body with so much fiber and fat. Fish has too many contaminants to be on a detox.
    If you werent detoxing, this is a super healthy diet.

A detox usually consists of very easily digestible whole-foods, like fruit . Some veggies are okay, but most are not.
    Veggies are traditionally added to a detox when the detox is moving too fast, and it needs something clean to slow it down.

Since you said there were many supplements,and you were eating challenging-to-digest foods such as beans and quinoa and fish, I would say your bod was and still is overwhelmed with whats in it. Its quite possible that once you clean it out and get everything filtering nice, your fatigue will only be a matter of building your adrenals up.

Im a fan of keeping it simple.
    Simple foods, very few supplements. This way its much easier to see what helps and what doesnt.

There are likely a variety of detox diets out there and not all of them contain fruit and not all of them contain fish…there likely are so many detox diets that there is a full spectrum of what foods it may or may not contain. The way I look at it, any diet that goes away from the western american diet is a detox diet lol. Fish has a variety of beneficial properties and it digests rather quickly so it may have brought him benefit vs. detriment. Atleast it wasn’t a detox diet with beef and pork or peanut butter and bread! I am sure his naturopath knows about what exists in the fish and made a decision based on his education, etc.

-raster

Vegan Catlady

Agreed that there as many detox diets as there are people doing them, in removing anything from the body, its usually also helpful to stop putting things in it that impede the elimination.
    I get it though. There are many perspectives.
    The SAD diet is pretty much worst of the worse,so I get that UP is the only way to go from there.

I just want to be clear that in my above post about detoxing, it was in response to a definition of detox by a doctor who hadnt yet diagnosed candida. Im not telling anyone to eat an all fruit diet for candida, as I wouldnt tell anyone to do what I havent myself experienced.

Anyone can regurgitate info on the internet. Half the stuff on the internet *IS* regurgitated info. Peer-reviewed studies and first-hand real-person experiences are the most provocative sources,but its a good idea to take most of what you read as inspiration for further study.

Research is our responsibility, even with another person in charge of our care,unfortunately :/

ThomasJoel2
    Participant
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 375

First off, I gotta say, that I think it’s really courageous of you to put yourself out there in video form like you’re doing. It’s good, because it will open the eyes of others who are not familiar with the travesty of the condition that is CFS.

Now, let me say a few quick things. Candida is NOT the root cause of your condition. Candida is the symptom of an improperly functioning immune system. Restore the immune function and you will reach a cure. This is not possible through diet/probiotics/antifungals alone. These are great tools that will allow you get the candida/inflammation under control, but once that is done, you have to begin addressing the underlying cause itself. Mercury poisoning, as TheChosenOne alluded to previously is a VERY common culprit that you will want to investigate.

Some questions: Do you have any amalgam fillings? Do you eat a high-fish diet?

Holistic Health Journal

First off, I gotta say, that I think it’s really courageous of you to put yourself out there in video form like you’re doing. It’s good, because it will open the eyes of others who are not familiar with the travesty of the condition that is CFS.

Thank you.

Now, let me say a few quick things. Candida is NOT the root cause of your condition. Candida is the symptom of an improperly functioning immune system. Restore the immune function and you will reach a cure. This is not possible through diet/probiotics/antifungals alone. These are great tools that will allow you get the candida/inflammation under control, but once that is done, you have to begin addressing the underlying cause itself. Mercury poisoning, as TheChosenOne alluded to previously is a VERY common culprit that you will want to investigate.

My doctor has always said from the beginning I have an improperly functioning immune system. Right off the bat he said vaccines, soy baby formula, eating a bad diet and eating my food allergies all my life weakened my immune system. My mom also smoked when she was pregnant with me, and I had antibiotics when I was a teenager for acne. This all probably contributed to my compromised immune function which led to candida overgrowth. So you guys are on the same page. He just didn’t test for the candida until 5 months under his care. The first few months he had me remove my food allergies and take supplements to heal leaky gut, and then ‘detox’.

Some questions: Do you have any amalgam fillings? Do you eat a high-fish diet?

No I don’t have any fillings, but my mom did while she was pregnant with me. I didn’t eat fish much growing up, but now I eat sardines and salmon a lot.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Documenting My Healing Journey On Youtube’ is closed to new replies.