Do I have Candida? Is it "contagious"?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Do I have Candida? Is it "contagious"?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Brainfogged 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Brainfogged
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 1

I don’t know where to begin. I’m a 26 year old male. I’ve been on SSRI’s off and on for the last 10 years for anxiety and I took Prilosec and Nexium for acid reflux for a couple years about 6-7 years ago. I lost weight and slowly weened myself off of them.

WARNING: a bit graphic

I started dating a girl a couple of years ago. When we started having sex I noticed a strange aftertaste after oral that I could only describe as rotten garlic. It also came from her breasts as well. She didn’t eat much garlic and it wasn’t hygiene related. Her doctor said it was probably bacterial vaginosis and put her on antibiotics. The issue went away for about a week before coming back stronger than ever. 3 rounds of antibiotics later we gave up. She was never diagnosed with candida but she responded well to coconut oil, probiotics and a “fungal defense” formula.

I used to be a professional online poker player. Online poker got shut down in the United States so I had to move out of the country to continue. I started dating this girl shortly before I decided to make the move and this is the first time we started living together. My results slowly declined. I lost my ability to concentrate, my memory went to shit. I just attributed this to stress.

We broke up and I moved back home. I had a few symptoms that went after awhile. I had trouble digesting protein of any sort. I started getting allergies to everything and I got sinus infections every couple of months. These symptoms all disappeared. It’s hard to pinpoint which supplements helped because I’ve taken a million of them but I think probiotics, glutamine and bovine colostrum helped the most.

Now for the symptoms that haven’t gone away. I am tired all of the time. I sleep 12-14 hrs a day on average. Naps end up lasting 4-5 hrs and I sleep straight through alarms. I wake up unrefreshed. I get tired after meals. Doesn’t matter if its all protein, fat or carbs. I have really bad brain fog. I can’t think ahead, I can’t think of anything funny or creative. I just say the first thing that comes to my head. My memory used to be excellent and now I can’t remember anything. I was listening to a speech online and the speaker said something like “Try not to picture a pink elephant.” The crowd chuckled because its usually impossible to not picture one but I couldn’t. As hard as I tried, I couldn’t picture it in my head. My SSRI’s stopped working. They always gave gave me a sense of peace and calm and contentedness. My anxiety is gone but so is my motivation and happiness. I don’t look forward to anything. Also, my body odor has gotten worse.

I didn’t even consider candida until about a month ago when I got a die off reaction. I went to a local health store near my house to look around and picked up a couple bottles of old formula GT’s synergy kombucha, some fresh pressed juice with added turmeric, a bottle of reuteri probiotics and they were giving away packets of garden of life raw meal. I was bored so I drank all of them. That night my nose and eyes started itching and I couldn’t stop sneezing. I thought I had an allergic reaction to something. My stomach started burning and I threw up a bunch of stomach acid. For the next 2 days I had a mild sore throat and I had no appetite. I started sweating, got rashes all over my arms and back, I could feel my heart beating quickly with an irregular beat which was pretty scary. It didn’t feel like a normal cold or flu. After it was over I felt like a million bucks. I was energetic all day. I could think clearly. I just wanted to go out and do something. The next day my fog and lack of energy were back.

I finally got health insurance(thanks Obamacare!) but my closest family doctor with decent reviews has a month long waiting list. In the last week I started doing the candida diet. I put coconut oil on everything and take 4 pills of NOW’s Candida Support a day. I haven’t had any die off but my brain fog is maybe 15-20% better and I’m sleeping better. I need less sleep and feel more refereshed afterwards.

My theory is that years of proton pump inhibitors have given me low stomach acid, creating the perfect environment for candida or bad bacteria to flourish. Sorry for this long, rambling post. I just want to figure out what is wrong with me and get my life back. I’m also open to the idea that I’m just a crazy hypochondriac so please don’t hold back.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Sounds like you have some kind of gut flora imbalance, but it might not be candida. We aren’t going to diagnose you here, and I recommend getting the candida immune complex test to get a diagnosis. Most doctors don’t treat digestive problems and they certainly almost always don’t know about candida. What drug out there do you want to take to treat this? There basically is only antifungal drugs.

What I would examine is your prior antibiotic use because this is likely the single greatest reason to why you are ill or not.

If you embark on the diet with antifungals and probiotics, I recommend coming up with a detox plan so your liver and kidneys do not become damaged by the die-off toxins.

-raster

Brainfogged
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 1

raster;57338 wrote: Sounds like you have some kind of gut flora imbalance, but it might not be candida. We aren’t going to diagnose you here, and I recommend getting the candida immune complex test to get a diagnosis. Most doctors don’t treat digestive problems and they certainly almost always don’t know about candida. What drug out there do you want to take to treat this? There basically is only antifungal drugs.

What I would examine is your prior antibiotic use because this is likely the single greatest reason to why you are ill or not.

If you embark on the diet with antifungals and probiotics, I recommend coming up with a detox plan so your liver and kidneys do not become damaged by the die-off toxins.

-raster

Thank you for the advice. I definitely don’t expect much when it comes to doctors. It is impossible to be an expert on all aspects of the human body and everything that can go wrong. Still, I look forward to having him rule out any other more common problems. I also need him to order all of the blood work. I’m also not looking for a forum to lock down a diagnosis. I’m just trying be productive until I can get professional help. A diet low in sugar and high in coconut oil, herbs and spices isn’t going to hurt me. 15$ on an over the counter candida/fungal support product isn’t a big deal either. I just want to build a stronger case for what I have before I spend more on more specific foods and supplements.

On an unrelated note. I find the connection between candida and serotonin really interesting. In the last 10 years I’ve cycled on and off SSRI’s. I’ve seen websites that say SSRI’s take a couple of weeks to build up in your system but I could always feel them immediately. Considering that 90% of serotonin is in the gut, this could be a huge clue as to why my SSRI stopped working. My basic, barely graduated high school understanding of SSRI’s is that they don’t actually increase production of serotonin, but instead increases the amount that stays in the receptor. When I take 5-HTP which is simply a precursor to serotonin, I still feel it immediately. Does anyone else have experience with this?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Do I have Candida? Is it "contagious"?’ is closed to new replies.