digestive enzyme deficient

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions digestive enzyme deficient

This topic contains 14 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  mrs.candida 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

mrs.candida
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 452

I believe I’m deficient in some digestive enzymes. I realize we all must be and that’s part of our candida problem.

My specific question is about bitters, I understand it signals your body to produce enzymes for digestion.

I’m wondering, if I believe my body is not making an enzyme, will it ever be able to produce the enzyme? Or is it like,”once it’s gone, it’s gone”?

Can bitters make a body produce an enzyme that was never there in the first place?

I ask because I’m trying to decide if bitters or pills are a better for me.

thoughts?

alexalgebra
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 643

I’ve been curious about this as well.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Able thinks bitters are the best way to go and I think enzymes are the best way to go. Me and my wife take one called pro-gest (she’s on the candida diet now).

Chewing your food more causes your body to produce more enzymes as well.

-raster

mrs.candida

I’m wondering if my body isn’t making an enzyme, will bitters make it produce that enzyme.

If people are enzyme deficient then that’s it? Do the bitters allow the body to make an enzyme it’s deficient in? I would think the only way to get the right enzymes if your deficient would be to take enzymes.

I’ve done both, and don’t notice any difference either way.

I do remember 20 years ago when my yeast infections started I found taking enzymes was the only thing that would help.

raster
    Participant

If you are not chewing your food over 30+ times per each bite, you likely are not producing enough enzymes. Chewing produces the enzymes…

If the enzymes don’t work you likely aren’t taking it with the right combination of supplements or its a low quality enzyme product.

-raster

mrs.candida

Are you saying it’s impossible to have an enzyme deficiency? All you need to do is chew your food more?

Cheesey
    Topics: 37
    Replies: 245

raster;37783 wrote: Able thinks bitters are the best way to go and I think enzymes are the best way to go.

Why do you differ?

serenedream
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 84

Cheesey;37933 wrote:

Able thinks bitters are the best way to go and I think enzymes are the best way to go.

Why do you differ?

I would like to know the same. Good topic question as I have been wondering the same. Thanks raster for the 30 times per bite, I thought I was doing good with 15-20. Curious to see Able’s responses, as well.

mrs.candida

I was thinking it was 30x’s a bite too. I told my Chinese Doctor and he laughed at me and said it’s 36x’s per bite, as if everyone knew that.

serenedream
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 84

The problem I am finding is that the food is literally disintegrating in my mouth before I even get to bite 30. For example, I have organic eggs scrambled well with all sort of veggies every day for breakfast. How am I supposed to chew 30+ times when the food is basically disintegrated? Or when I eat yogurt and mashed cauliflower, you can’t thoroughly chew that!

I am MUCH more aware and trying harder to chew more, but sometimes (dependent on what I am eating) it seems impossible to get 36 bites in per forkful!

raster
    Participant

Here’s able’s response to a different enzyme post recently:

http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst6863_Digestive-Enzyme-advise.aspx

All of his responses are pretty much the same in regards to this topic.

The way I look at it is that the enzymes bring great benefit and can really turn a struggling patient/person around just by this supplement alone. It helps break down foods which is very important if you have a digestive disorder. Each enzyme breaks down a type of food such as meat, vegetables, fiber, grains, etc. Enzymes also destroy biofilms which me and dvjorge (mostly him) discussed a few times. Enzymes help with die-off toxins and detoxification. I believe their benefits outweigh any problems that able raises. Enzymes also heal leaky gut.

Here is some basic information about enzymes:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digestive_enzyme

In my opinion all candida sufferers are likely deficient in enzymes and this is related to digestion. We all have digestion problems that started a long time ago and we all likely haven’t chewed our foods well throughout most of our lives. We may need specific enzymes as well, such as ones for the pancreas, small intestine, etc. These specific enzymes can be prescribed by a naturopath and relate to seperate bacterial or other gut flora imbalance you may have in your body. For instance, if you have sibo or h.pylori…these can be healed by specific enzymes (I don’t know which ones).

I’ve never taken bitters so I don’t know how effetive they are or not. I talked at length to my naturopath about bitters vs. enzymes and he feels the bitters are best if you have a specific organ that needs to be healed. There are many different kinds of bitters and each work differently. The best bitters in his opinion are spanish bitters; these are incredibly rare and hard to find in general. There are also lemon, orange, grape, and a few other types of bitters.

-raster

shayfo
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 668

The problem I am finding is that the food is literally disintegrating in my mouth before I even get to bite 30. For example, I have organic eggs scrambled well with all sort of veggies every day for breakfast. How am I supposed to chew 30+ times when the food is basically disintegrated? Or when I eat yogurt and mashed cauliflower, you can’t thoroughly chew that!

I eat mashed cauliflower, hot cereal, and pureed soups a lot. I’ve been trying to let each bite hang out in my mouth for a bit before I swallow it, since it’s not really something that can be chewed. I’m hoping this tactic allows the saliva to get to work and helps the enzyme situation, but who knows.

jay253
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 43

i drink ginger in juice or tea before eating it seems to make you salivate i have dry mouth fro ebv so i think ebv messes with enzyme function too, i had no problem with enzymes till i went vegan for 3 years and my ebv got much worse and it’s continuing to rise, im gonna try enzymedica products there candidase has only 2 zymes cellulase and protease and is expensive compared to there others that have the same thing plus more, im confused im gonna get the virastop and the digest or basic i think and skip the candidase

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Hello, Mrs. C, sorry I’m so late in chiming in on this thread.

Raster posted the link, but below is the post itself.

(Begin quote) Digestive enzymes that are needed by human beings are broken down into four categories.

• Proteolytic Enzymes: split proteins to amino acids
    • Lipolytic Enzymes: split fats to fatty acids and glycerol
    • Amylolytic Enzymes: split carbohydrate and starch to simple sugars
    • Nucleolytic Enzymes: split nucleic acids to nucleotides

When you take an enzyme supplement like Pro-Gest, you’re only obtaining the enzymes that are listed on the label, and in some cases these enzymes aren’t even natural to the human body. When you allow you body to make its own enzymes through the process of stimulation, you’re obtaining the enzymes that your body needs.

The other problem with taking an enzyme supplement is that it’s literally replacement enzyme therapy. If you stop the therapy, you stop the flow of enzymes. This is no way to teach your body to make its own enzymes. But when you use a substance that is capable of stimulating the body to make its own enzymes, it allows your body to do the work itself and not rely on another source. When you start replacing a substance that the body is capable of making on its own, this causes the body to become more and more dependant on the synthetic replacement.

There are no enzymes in digestive bitters, but when the bitters activate the vagus nerve on the back of the tongue it begins the production of pancreatic enzymes – among many other functions. When this bitter taste hits the back of the tongue it sets off a chain reaction of events that leads to a boost in general digestive function.

The simple stimulation of the bitter taste buds (vagus nerve) initiates the functions shown below:

Starts the production of a peptide hormone that stimulates secretion of gastric acid in the stomach.

Increases production of digestive enzymes from the pancreas, liver, and duodenum.

Starts a detoxification action of the liver.

Increases the flow of bile that’s important for fat soluble vitamins like A, D, E, and K. This action also helps to maintain good cholesterol levels.

Has a regulatory effect on pancreatic hormonal secretions

Facilitates repair of the intestinal walls.

In addition bitters can cure or lessen bloating, flatulence, constipation, indigestion, nausea, and heartburn.
    (end quote)

You body can produce enzymes from its own cells, in fact all living cells, whether from animals or vegetables can make enzymes, so some enzymes are supplied to us in raw foods. Your body can also recycle digestive enzymes from any source until they wear out.

If your body is stimulated to produce the enzymes it needs, then I really don’t know why it wouldn’t – unless your body is simply incapable of making a specific enzyme, which I’ve never heard, at least not if stimulation of the nerves is being used.

mrs.candida;37728 wrote: I’m trying to decide if bitters or pills are a better for me.

The important question is, if you’re missing an enzyme, do you know which one you’re missing?

Let’s assume you’ve decided to take an enzyme supplement because you think your body is not making all of the enzymes you need. So now you have an enzyme supplement that contains, let’s say 6 different enzymes.

Now I’ll tell you why I use bitters instead of an enzyme supplement.

Fact: There are approximately 1300 different enzymes used by the human body.
    So, which ones are you missing?

Able

mrs.candida

Thanks, so it possible to be enzyme deficient. I just wanted to be sure before I persue testing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘digestive enzyme deficient’ is closed to new replies.