Diet relapse

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Diet relapse

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  raster 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

jamesb
    Topics: 47
    Replies: 43

I have a had a bit of a relapse and eaten potatoes a few times and some pork a couple of times. As a result I am getting die off symptoms again especially after drinking some coconut milk kefir and adding coconut shavings to my buckwheat/millet porridge.

Am I right in thinking that the coconut products are an anti fungal treatment and eating then alongside what I presume are stage 1 die off symptoms (again) are making the die off symptoms worse?

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

The reason you’re experiencing die-off symptoms again are, (1) you fed the Candida (potatoes) which allowed them to multiply, causing more Candida in your system, and (2) eating the kefir is killing the Candida again and causing die-off symptoms. This type of behavior is the cause of the cycle of a never-ending Candida infestation and why some people suffer from the infestation for 5, 10 and 15 years or longer.

Able

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I’d also consider stopping the millet and switching to oat or rice bran.

Cheating will only prolong the treatment period.

-Raster

jamesb
    Topics: 47
    Replies: 43

jamesb wrote: I have a had a bit of a relapse and eaten potatoes a few times and some pork a couple of times. As a result I am getting die off symptoms again especially after drinking some coconut milk kefir and adding coconut shavings to my buckwheat/millet porridge.

Am I right in thinking that the coconut products are an anti fungal treatment and eating then alongside what I presume are stage 1 die off symptoms (again) are making the die off symptoms worse?

I have gone back to stage 1 again so no kefir for the time being. Does anyone know how I can preserve the kefir grains until I am ready for them again or should I just get rid and buy more when I am ready?

Able900
    Spectator

jamesb wrote: I have gone back to stage 1 again so no kefir for the time being. Does anyone know how I can preserve the kefir grains until I am ready for them again or should I just get rid and buy more when I am ready?

You can keep kefir grains in the refrigerator for up to two weeks with milk over them, but there’s a recovery period if they stay cold as sometimes they will go ‘out of balance’ so to speak in the cold. For the recovery you would remove them from the refrigerator and give them fresh milk every day, keeping them at room temperature.
    Another way is to just keep them at room temperature with milk covering them in a glass container. You’ll have to change the milk every day though if they’re not refrigerated.

Able

monita
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 28

I’ve had a relapse too.

After almost two months on the diet being really strict with myself and starting to see some results, I found out from Able’s allowed food list that I should not have been eating red peppers, tomatoes or carrots. I had removed all cooked carrots as I knew that their glycaemic index was much higher once cooked but had been adding a little raw carrot to salads.

Unfortunately this new information sent me in a spiral of both disappointment and utter dispair. I felt like all the time cleansing and working hard at such a restrictive diet had been in vain. So I lapsed. I had a ‘normal Sandwhich, grains for a few days and a cream doughnut out of pure rebellion.

I think I experienced this because I feel so alone in this. Nobody I know understands or has heard of the condition. My friends are getting a bit upset I can’t join them for drinks at the weekend or go out to a restaurant because I can’t eat anything on the menu.

I know I need to start again, my bloating came back with gusto and my brain fog got worse again.
    My question is though, do I need to do another cleanse and start from the beginning or can I just start with the candida diet proper?

It is good to know however that you guys fully understand what I’m going through so thanks so much for the time and effort you put into reading and responding to queries!

Able900
    Spectator

monita wrote: After almost two months on the diet being really strict with myself and starting to see some results, I found out from Able’s allowed food list that I should not have been eating red peppers, tomatoes or carrots. I had removed all cooked carrots as I knew that their glycaemic index was much higher once cooked but had been adding a little raw carrot to salads.
    Unfortunately this new information sent me in a spiral of both disappointment and utter dispair. I felt like all the time cleansing and working hard at such a restrictive diet had been in vain. So I lapsed. I had a ‘normal Sandwhich, grains for a few days and a cream doughnut out of pure rebellion.

Reply: Very silly reaction first of all, and not at all necessary, now was it? You didn’t screw up that badly first of all, there were a lot, and I mean a LOT of foods you could have been eating that would have been worse than the ones you’ve named. Then there’s the fact that even though you seem to think it was, all the time you spent on the cleanse and diet were not wasted.
    So I ‘really’ wish you had written about this on the forum before you made the real mistake, which was eating the donut and grains, and what’s worse, you knew you were making a mistake this time.

Quote: I think I experienced this because I feel so alone in this. Nobody I know understands or has heard of the condition. My friends are getting a bit upset I can’t join them for drinks at the weekend or go out to a restaurant because I can’t eat anything on the menu.

Reply: Everyone who has had Candida albicans knows what you’re talking about, because they’ve all been through that part of it all, try to keep that in mind, that you’re by no means the first person ever to live through it. But this is where I believe, for the most part at least, male and females differ with their infestation and subsequent treatments. Women are really bothered by not being supported in their effort of a treatment and want people around them to understand, whereas a lot of men will go through it perfectly alone (more or less) without the support or understanding, which as you know is extremely difficult to obtain. Usually this is nothing more than your loved ones not being able to relate to the problem as so many have never even heard of such a thing as a Candida infestation. This is why I personally believe it’s best to never mention the word “Candida” to them and instead talk about your sudden onset of a terrible allergy instead (which in effect a Candida infestation is).

Quote: I know I need to start again, my bloating came back with gusto and my brain fog got worse again.

Reply: Well, that’s because there are more Candida now than there were before you gave them a feast of sugar and grains. Feeding them is nourishing them and therefore allowing them to thrive and grow in numbers.

Quote: My question is though, do I need to do another cleanse and start from the beginning or can I just start with the candida diet proper?

Reply: You’ll be fine if you just start back on the diet and stay on it this time no matter what mistakes you may or may not make (by the way, everyone makes them whether intentionally or not). And if you do make one, please let your response be to come online to the forum and vent on us instead of your body. We’re more likely to understand and the response from us will be much milder than what you’ve experienced by doing the opposite.

Be sure to drink lots of water.
    Able

monita
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 28

Thanks for this Able.

I agree with everything you’ve said and I knew it at the time too which is probably why I cried when I ate my first ‘bad’ food. I was just so disappointed in myself that I was giving in to weakness. I think your observation is true that women tend to need more support than men. I would say that this was true of many situations not just going through the treatment of candida, men are from mars women are from Venus as they say. We do like to confide and discuss issues and unfortunately my personal circle are not able to provide that in this instance. I do take what you say though that I have a support community on the forum and that I should use it during my low moments.

Going through the treatment can leave me feeling emotional and I can have mood swings, sometimes in fairly rapid succession. That particular evening I had gone from feeling quite strong and proud of myself to really weak, weepy and dying to give into my food cravings on and off all evening which is when I finally cracked.

On the positive side of my epic fail, I have had full confirmation that candida is what is making me unwell. The evidence is too strong to deny. After a full day of being back on the diet and drinking lots of water, my bloating had disappeared and I feel ‘cleaner’.

Thanks for responding so quickly.

Right, onwards and upwards. I’m off to go and make more coconut bread. 🙂

Able900
    Spectator

monita wrote: Right, onwards and upwards. I’m off to go and make more coconut bread. 🙂

That’s the attitude, Monita. Lots of people have the opposite attitude after a mistake, which is to simply say, “To hell with it” and continue eating the junk food which was their mistake to start with.

Let us know if you have questions, especially where mistakes are concerned, as well as whenever you wish to vent on someone.
    Able

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Keep it up monita; if you have any bad foods, they won’t set you back more than a few hours/days at the most. Even though you had those food items, it wasn’t a huge setback. Just continue on; if you keep your sugars below 25g a day, then there isn’t anything to worry about. Those sugary veggies you mentioned would be below this threshold.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Diet relapse’ is closed to new replies.