Desperately seeking advice – 3rd post and only 1 reaction PLEASE HELP

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Desperately seeking advice – 3rd post and only 1 reaction PLEASE HELP

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Able900 7 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Diane
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 73

hey all
    I am on day 5 of the detox cleanse and diet that I have found on this site. Although I must say that I am quite disappointed in myself because yesterday, I got hungry and binged on cashew nuts. The side effects were not at all pleasant.
    I have not officially been diagnosed with Candida however I have had a myriad of symptoms which led me to believe that I have quite a bad case of it. I have and have bad pms, terrible IBS, irritability, sinus infections, aches and pains in my joints, no sexual appetite, eczema in my eyes, blurred vision, oral thrush, vaginal thrush, mood swings with no apparent reason for crying, chest pains, shortness of breath, numbness and tingling, the works.
    Every time I felt something I went to the dr. only to hear one thing or the other. My biggest problem is the IBS, very painful and impossible to relieve flatulence as well as diarrhoea. In any case, I did my own research and started to find loads of conflicting things on the internet, such as the right and the wrong foods to eat. One says that apples are good and the other say that it is not just to give one example. Then I came across this site and joined the forum and saw that there is loads of great information and that there are some experienced candida people.
    After having read loads of stuff, I am quite confused and I have a few questions and I would be very happy to have some clarity 🙂
    1. After I have finished with the cleanse do I go to stage 1 of the diet or is this stage 1?
    2. If so what sort of foods can I eat and for how long do I stay on stage 1 of the diet?
    3. Do I keep taking the psyllium husk and bentonite throughout the whole diet, if not at which stage do I stop?
    4.This is the hardest one for me, I live in the Netherlands and most of the stuff that you mentioned on the forum I will not find here, e.g. Digestive Grape Seed, Bragg Fluid Aminos etc etc, would you advice a good site where I could buy them as well as the rest of the great supplements?
    5. Most important of all, what sort of regime of antifungals, herbal supplements and vitamins do you recommend? How many sorts? how many can one take?
    I know that its very important to take probiotics however which would you recommend?

I apologise about this barrage but I really do feel alone in this fight against this unwanted guest that has decided to use my stomach as its living room.
    I want it out and I want it out permanently and I will do whatever it takes.

Diane

Hope
    Topics: 22
    Replies: 187

Hello, again, Diane 🙂 I can help with the questions pertaining to *after* the detox cleanse! (Remember, I’m the one who couldn’t help much with the detix drink part)

1) After finishing your cleanse, yes, you go to Stage 1 of the diet. Limit the allowed grains as much as possible and plan on drink at least 1 ounce of pure water (not unpurified tap – it’s chlorinated & has other chemicals) per 2 lbs of body weight. So, an individual weighing 160 lbs. would plan on drinking 80 ounces per day. You can eat as many of the approved veggies as you want each day. You don’t need to go hungry or walk around lightheaded. I have found that avocado really helps make salads filling, btw.

2) This website recommends staying in Stage 1 for 2-3 weeks; however, many of us have chosen to stay on the Stage 1 diet with very limited grains until we have seen a marked decrease in symptoms. I would also add that it’s best to stay in Stage 1 until those symptoms have been significantly reduced and *have stay that way* for a month before moving on to Stage 2.

3) I’m not taking psyllium or bentonite, so I won’t answer this one. Any one else out there ready to pipe in?

4) You don’t *need* all the special products to do the diet well. Really, Bragg’s Aminos are not at all a necessity – they’re a convenience seasoning with some health benefits. Buying all the special stuff can get really, really pricey – so, I’d recommend getting the most important stuff first and going from there. I’ve had great success following the diet *very* closely and only using garlic, extra virgin olive oil, extra virgin coconut oil, and probiotics.

5) Whenever you use an antifungal, you’re going to kill off excess yeast. This is good, but done too much too soon, it can also cause really unpleasant die-off symptoms. Die off occurs when the yeast is destroyed and releases toxic byproducts into our systems, causing adverse reactions. The diet is also designed to starve and kill yeast organisms, so the diet will also cause die-off reactions to some degree. It’s advisable to follow the Stage 1 diet closely for at least 2 weeks before adding in antifungals, even natural ones. This way, the strict diet can starve off some of the yeast and you’ll have a reduced yeast population before you take the antifungals. You’ll still likely have die off symptoms when you do begin the antifungals, but they will be less severe if your yeast populations are already reduced by the diet before you begin the antifungals. I am aiming for slow and steady die-off, so I take 3 capsules of garlic daily with meals and around 3-4 spoonfuls of extra virgin coconut oil. I use (uncooked) extra virgin olive oil in a lot of my meals. I use it as a cooking oil, too, but the antifungal benefits and other healthy fat benefits are compromised in the heating process. So, I make sure to use it raw often. Start slowly with the antifungals and build up. I started with just two garlics a day and some olive oil.

If you can find organic Kefir (plain) that you know comes from antibiotic free cows, this would be my top recommendation for a probiotic. Besides being an excellent source of multiple probiotic strains, it also has calcium, protein, and calories – which, believe it or not, you’re going to need. It helps me feel fuller longer and is a nice between meals option. Beyond that, any probiotic supplements that are free from major allergens, sugars, and gluten would work well. The refrigerated brands are generally regarded as being the most effective. Right now I’m eating around 16 ounces of Kefir per day and taking 3 doses of 30 billion count probiotic supplements per day (90 billion total). But everyone’s body and needs are different. If you get other replies, there will be quite a lot of variation in who takes what and how much and how often. Differing ages, weights, genders, can all contribute to our varying needs.

I really do hope this is helpful in some way to you. I’m so sorry you didn’t get more replies earlier on. Perhaps it’s the summer – everyone online less? This is our Independence Day weekend here in the States, so many won’t be online much as it’s a holiday. But, please be encouraged 🙂 Take the time to read through some of the old posts on these boards. There’s a search bar at the top of the Forums page, and you can search some of your keywords there. Keep in touch with us! There is a lot to learn and adjust to at first, but it does get easier and there really are many encouraging men & women on these discussion boards to walk alongside you 🙂

2ndRound
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 9

Hi Diane, like the name! I’m Diane too. 😉

As for your questions:

1. After I have finished with the cleanse do I go to stage 1 of the diet or is this stage 1?
    2. If so what sort of foods can I eat and for how long do I stay on stage 1 of the diet?
    3. Do I keep taking the psyllium husk and bentonite throughout the whole diet, if not at which stage do I stop?
    4.This is the hardest one for me, I live in the Netherlands and most of the stuff that you mentioned on the forum I will not find here, e.g. Digestive Grape Seed, Bragg Fluid Aminos etc etc, would you advice a good site where I could buy them as well as the rest of the great supplements?
    5. Most important of all, what sort of regime of antifungals, herbal supplements and vitamins do you recommend? How many sorts? how many can one take?

Since I’m not actually following the exact advice of this site (I just discovered it and this forum yesterday) I can’t really answer questions 1 through 3 for you, except to say for 3 it seems like the intent behind the treatment is to wash away any stuck on residue in your intestinal tract. I’m going to try it myself for a day in the middle of my cleanse just to see if it helps.
    4 – I don’t know of a good website, but I would say go for high quality product first, then shop the site that provides most or all if you can find it. The individual products that my naturopath has recommended for me in the past have been:
    – Joy of the mountains Oil of Oregano: Certified organic locally (british columbia, canada) contains 75 to 85% carvacrol. Possible other local oregano oils will work for you too, but this is the one my naturopath SWEARS by and recommends to others constantly. I swear if it wasn’t for taking this as much as possible in the early stages of pneumonia before I knew what it was, I would have been a LOT sicker and almost certainly in the hospital. It was only when I started feeling better that I had the energy to go see the doctor.

these are from pictures so the label is fuzzy but…
    – Thorne multivitamins – multi-encap: i think the brand name is thorne research or something. they are pharmaceutical grade.
    – integrative (i think the second word is technologies…) yeast formula. It also says premiere science on the label.

From the Ayurvedic practitioner I saw:
    He recommended the Candigone kit, which I am currently using in my 2nd round. Worked like a charm the first time, by the 13th day everyone was commenting on why the hell was I hopping around like an energizer bunny, where did all the energy come from? Plus my skin cleared up immensely. Yes, I did change my diet permanently for the better afterwards. But I was still adding bad stuff in coffee, bread, etc, from time to time.
    I’m using it again right now and am in my 10th of 15 days. My skin’s at that wonderful ‘halellujah I finally look somewhat healthy again’ phase. Love it.

From my own research
    – I also used New roots caprylic acid plus once and liked it, but that wasn’t based on my naturopath’s recommendation. I probably used it too long myself though because I didn’t realize I should have been taking resistance into account as I used it. And it seemed to not work as well for me over time. I’m a little worried that the kit I’m using the second time around now has been made slightly less effective by this, but at least I only took one type of anti-fungal like this! 🙂

For the regime: If using individual items, I would switch up the antifungals, use a few at a time, and then switch to another two every one or two weeks to avoid resistance. OR look for a good kit that includes them all. I’ve only used the candigone and the yeast balance, but the candigone from renewlife was fabulous for me which is why I’m taking it again. I may switch to yeast balance again if I can find it to try and switch up my therapy, but I think I’ll call their help line first before I do (they have a HELP line!) This kit includes 16 different anti-fungals, so I think it may have some of the ones your looking for already included and may be a cheaper buy.

Also if you have thrush like me, I’ve been using the oil of oregano drops in my mouth and invested in a simple tongue scraper (best 2$ I ever spent). I have gone from an unbelievably icky pasty white thick covering to one where I almost see pink coming through. The oregano oil in the mouth is INTENSE but you get *somewhat* used to it. If you put it under your tongue its the quickest way to get it into your bloodstream, which is how I habitually take it, but during this cleanse I daily a) scrape my tongue b) apply a drop of oregano oil under my tongue and one on top. Quickly take in just a teeny weeny bit of water and swish all around. c) hold it in my mouth for as long as I can until I-just-cant-take-it-anymore. d) spit and rinse e) floss and brush my teeth. Also good for your immune system.

I know that its very important to take probiotics however which would you recommend?

– acidophilus pearls by enzymatic therapy: Come in a blue box. I’ve used this product for years religiously, and when I started their patented “true delivery” technology was why I bought and kept buying this. That and whenever I stopped using it for a couple days, my stomach let me know pretty quick! I don’t know if their patent has run out and become generic now because I see so many other alternatives on the market in Canada now and for much cheaper. This brand is now harder to find for me, but this was the stuff I used because my naturopath explained the coating on it was what made sure the acidopholus cultures actually reached my gut and were effective as opposed to dying the stomach. I think I’m still going to stick with this brand but I’m going to order the IC (intensive care) variation of the standard pearls online. I used to pay 20 CDN for 30 pills but now there are 90 pill boxes on websites for only about 26 or so!!! Awesome!! I WILL take a probiotic for the rest of my life, food just doesn’t have enough of it naturally anymore.

Hope this helps! good health to you!

Hope

2ndRound – I was just wondering what you’re using to brush your teeth since your thrush is so bad. I had mild thrush as one of my big symptoms, too. One of the things I would do after brushing w/ a stevia sweetened toothpaste was this – I’d slowly eat a tablespoon of extra virgin coconut oil, swishing eat bite around in my mouth until it melted and coated my tongue, cheeks, gums, and front throat. I also was careful to really limit my grains (or go down to no grains) until the thrush was clear, brushing my teeth right away after eating.

Hope this helps 🙂

Hope

^ This way, the antifungal coconut oil was the last thing in my mouth for quite a while, especially before sleeping.

2ndRound
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 9

Hope wrote: 2ndRound – I was just wondering what you’re using to brush your teeth since your thrush is so bad. I had mild thrush as one of my big symptoms, too. One of the things I would do after brushing w/ a stevia sweetened toothpaste was this – I’d slowly eat a tablespoon of extra virgin coconut oil, swishing eat bite around in my mouth until it melted and coated my tongue, cheeks, gums, and front throat. I also was careful to really limit my grains (or go down to no grains) until the thrush was clear, brushing my teeth right away after eating.

Hope this helps 🙂

oo, thanks! I think I’ll try all of this!

For one I’m pretty sure its initial occurance, which I would rate as medium was right after the course of antibiotics I had to take (the pharmacist even commented – they gave you the GOOD stuff) which to me was the exact opposite of good!!! It got worse over time. I stupidly ignored it.

I used to use aquafresh whitening and then switched to colgate recently just because it was on sale. Today I was going to the drugstore anyway and from other sites I read about ?mentadent? toothpaste with hydrogen peroxide in it. I thought I would give that a try but I’ll look for stevia sweetened. I use the oral B electric toothbrush.

Hope

This is not the exact tooth gel I use, but it’s the right brand – http://www.amazon.com/Whitening-Dental-Gel-Plus-4-5/dp/B001ECXD9I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1309722627&sr=8-2

You’ll want to check your ingredients carefully. With your current toothpaste, you’re basically putting sweeteners in your mouth right before you go to sleep each night, which isn’t optimal at any time on an ACD, of course. It’s good to be especially careful of it, though, when dealing with thrush. Salt water gargles (with sea salt) seemed to help me, too. And the scraping is big! Good job 🙂

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Hello, Diane, and welcome to the Candida Diet forum.

I have to say first of all that I love your attitude about this. Your statement, “I want it out and I want it out permanently and I will do whatever it takes” perfectly explains the feeling I had when I discovered that Candida was my problem. So I know that the attitude will play a big part in your cure.
    As far as the foods on the Candida diet go, below are the rules I lived by to cure Candida;

First of all, always keep this fact in your mind when you’re planning your meals:
    ALL FORMS OF SIMPLE CARBOHYDRATES FEED YEAST AND WILL PROLONG THE LIFE OF THE CANDIDA AND THEREFORE EXTEND YOUR TREATMENT PEROID.

Of course that statement means to avoid all sugar products, and that includes hidden sugars such as Dextrose which is in regular table salts like Mortons. You can purchase Celtic or Himalayan sea salts. The Himalayan salt especially contains lots of minerals that we as human beings need.

I think Hope has already talked about the toothpaste, and you can decide what you use. My choice was to go as natural as possible, so I use a bit of baking soda for brushing and hydrogen peroxide mixed half and half with water for a mouth wash. Don’t swallow it if you use it.

You can experiment with different sugar substitutes if you want to, but you may save money and time by trying either pure Stevia extract or Truvia first. Watch the Stevia because I found some of that which contained Dextrose.

Concentrate on all of the green vegetables, eggplant, avocados, onions, fresh garlic, turnips and even rutabaga. The rutabaga should be eaten carefully, meaning very, very small amounts in the beginning. I’m saying this because it’s one of the most effective and powerful antifungals I found and can create huge die-off reactions.

Cut out caffeine. Drink chicory coffee in the mornings (or any time) if you want it, plus water, and lemon or lime juice only. Goes without saying, no sodas, even the diet ones.

A lot of Candida dieters think that it’s best to leave beef and pork out of your diet for several months at least, and I agree with this. But if you feel that you need to eat these, be sure to purchase organic pork and beef. Speaking of organic, your best bet is of course to always purchase organic meat, chicken, fish, and eggs. I eat mostly eggs and chicken and once or twice a week fish.

Be sure to use organic coconut oil throughout your treatment. At one point, I was up to 16 tablespoons a day, but listen to your body, especially where high doses are concerned.

Don’t waste your money on loading up on a lot of different antifungals and other supplements. You will absolutely spend a fortune on these if you pay attention to every post and every article on Candida antifungals. One or two truly good ones are all you need. My two favorite ones are garlic bulbs eaten as they are, or if you can’t do this, a good garlic pill with the word ‘allicin’ on the label, and the other one is Oil of Oregano.

Purchase the pure liquid Oil of Oregano, preferably pre-diluted with olive oil, and start really slowly at first (with any antifungal), perhaps only two drops (in water) for about two or three days, then three drops and so on up to maybe 8 or 10 drops a day, spread out into 2 or 3 smaller doses. Always, very slow increases because you need to allow you system to adapt to a strong antifungal. If you can’t tolerate the taste like most people, you can purchase empty vegetable capsules and put the drops in the capsules.

You can receive die-off symptoms from garlic and oregano oil as well as coconut oil, and the diet itself. So before you go any further, you may want to think about investing a bit of money in a product by the name of Candidate from Native Remedies. Over a period of just a few days you can work up to three doses a day. Trust me when I say that this will be a life saver when the die-off is at its worse. Another good product for this is something called Molybdenum, an excellent product. Taking both of these won’t hurt a thing.

As far as probiotics go, the one I take is Ultimate Flora Critical Colon BifidoMax by Renew Life, but there are plenty of other good ones out there. Try to purchase probiotics that are refrigerated, these are the better ones, and yes, they are expensive, but since you’re not going to be spending a fortune on antifungals like some other people do, you will still be saving money in the long run. Again, whatever probiotic you choose, as with everything, start SLOWLY and work your way up to larger doses. You can eat organic yogurt and drink organic kefir for both nourishment and probiotics.
    About the acidophilus that Round mentioned: Be careful about purchasing a product with the name “acidophilus” as this is just one form or family of beneficial bacteria. On the other hand, probiotics have a mixture of acidophilus as well as many other types of bacteria. When you have a combination, they’re much more potent, especially with Candida. Acidophilus normally contains between one and five bacteria strains. I tried to find the number of strains that Acidophilus Pearls by Enzymatic Therapy contain, and the only info I found was the name of two strains, Lactobacillus acidophilus and Bifidobacterium longum. To show you the difference, the probiotic I’m taking contains 14 strains of beneficial bacteria.

The ‘Digestive Grape Seed’ you mentioned in your post is actually called Digestive Grape Bitters, so be sure to look for that name. Amazon sells the grape bitters: http://www.amazon.com/Digestive-Grape-Bitters-8-fl-oz/dp/B00028PBIG
    The bitter herbs stimulate the receptors on the back of the tongue which stimulates a nerve that in turn increases the stomach acid. So since all you really need is the stimulation effect, you don’t need to take the full recommended dosage shown on most bottles. Half a dropper full on the tongue is plenty enough to do the job. In fact, taking too large a dose often will cause the berberine in it to kill the flora in your system.

As far as the aminos go, I don’t know that much about them or how important they are since I’ve never used them, but I see Hope has taken care of that subject for you.

The psyllium husk and bentonite are up to you. I didn’t take either one myself, but I believe the psyllium would be unsafe to use for very long.

Just like Hope said, this WILL get easier, especially once you start to feel more comfortable with the diet and what you should and should not be eating. Before you know it, you’ll be here on the forum answering questions.

Come back and talk to us often, just knowing that there are people who want to hear what you have to say and help you means a lot.
    Able

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Desperately seeking advice – 3rd post and only 1 reaction PLEASE HELP’ is closed to new replies.