Desperate for advice. Could this be candida?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Desperate for advice. Could this be candida?

This topic contains 22 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  impossible 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Xhale19991
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 9

I have been through a living hell the past year. After spending tens of thousands of dollars, traveling around to different doctors, and trying dozens of different diets/meds/supplements, I still have no idea what is wrong with me.

Prior to all this I was an extremely athletic kid. I was at the gym 5 days a week and took good care of myself for the most part. I drank alot of caffeine and wouldnt get much sleep due to my demanding work schedule (i work on a trading floor) but I ate healthy 90% of the time.

About a year ago I started to develop a generalized fatigue. It wouldn’t go away. I thought I was sleep deprived so I crash ed for a few weeks which didn’t help much. Over time it just began to get more severe day by day until I was pretty much bedridden. After that came a terrible wave of depression. Now I am getting heart palpitations, frequent and debilitating bouts of hypoglycemia, nausea, low body temp, severe brain fog, sweating episodes, etc… The amount of symptoms I have is overwhelming. I can’t even remember all of them off the top of my head.

I have had just about every test done under the sun. I traveled to mayo clinic where they tested me for everything from MS to diabetes to rare nervous system disorders. Yet still I got no diagnosis.

I started researching and came across lyme and candida which are 2 tests I have not had done. I read up on lyme and am currently undergoing the test for that. But I am curious about candida as well.

My whole life I have had GI issues, but aside from stomach pain, they didn’t have a huge impact on my life. Aside from the stomach pain I’ve had most of my life, i have severe bloating. Bloating like you cannont imagine. I am muscular with low body fat, and when I bloat, I look pregnant. It’s terrible and it happens everyday. I also deal with pretty bad heartburn regularly.

One thing I notice is that eating brings about my symptoms. I always feel best in the morning on an empty stomach. Then about an hour after I eat breakfast, things start to take a turn for the worst. The mid afternoon is when I begin to feel hellish. I haven’t been able to exercise or go to the gym in almost a year and its driving me insane. I am on my last straw.

Given all this, does candida sound like a viable option to explore? Can anyone here relate to these symptoms or recommend some other disease I should look into? Thanks. Sorry if this came off as a rant I am just a mess psychologically right now.

1 user thanked author for this post.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Hello xhale,

Check out this candida symptoms list post:
    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst6305_100-candida-symptoms-list.aspx

Well it sounds like at the least you have a digestive/GI disorder. Are you consipated (less than 3 bm’s per day?) If you don’t poop enough then this can cause lots of problems. If you poop too much this can cause problems as well. Let me guess, the mayo clinic did not ask you about your digestion, right?

Have you done any kind of allergy testing? What about thyroid?

Do certain foods make you feel really bad, such as gluten and dairy?

You also could have a liver issue where your liver isn’t working properly. This is pretty common with people who have candida issues.

In general, most americans are constipated, have heavy metals, are dehydrated, and thus are not pH neutral imho. When this occurs it produces toxins in the body and you basically feel bad and have inflammation with in the body. When you have inflammation you can have disease or this benefits the bad things in the body.

Anyways, hope this helps. Check out this link for the candida testing I recommend:
    http://www.candidaplan.com/store/Candida-Testing/

You can get better, it just takes 6-18 months for most people to turn this around. If you find a good naturopath, you can recover faster.

-raster

Xhale19991

raster;52170 wrote: Hello xhale,

Check out this candida symptoms list post:
    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst6305_100-candida-symptoms-list.aspx

Well it sounds like at the least you have a digestive/GI disorder. Are you consipated (less than 3 bm’s per day?) If you don’t poop enough then this can cause lots of problems. If you poop too much this can cause problems as well. Let me guess, the mayo clinic did not ask you about your digestion, right?

Have you done any kind of allergy testing? What about thyroid?

Do certain foods make you feel really bad, such as gluten and dairy?

You also could have a liver issue where your liver isn’t working properly. This is pretty common with people who have candida issues.

In general, most americans are constipated, have heavy metals, are dehydrated, and thus are not pH neutral imho. When this occurs it produces toxins in the body and you basically feel bad and have inflammation with in the body. When you have inflammation you can have disease or this benefits the bad things in the body.

Anyways, hope this helps. Check out this link for the candida testing I recommend:
    http://www.candidaplan.com/store/Candida-Testing/

You can get better, it just takes 6-18 months for most people to turn this around. If you find a good naturopath, you can recover faster.

-raster

I usually have one bowel movement a day if that. It’s usually more like 1 every 2 days. I feel iike food just sits in my stomach for a long time and doesnt really get digested.

I haven’t eaten gluten or dairy for over 2 years now so I know that is not the issue.

Thanks for the testing link. I’m going to make sure I get the candida test.

candida_sucks
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 148

Small intestine bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) is also worth looking into, given your severe bloating. There’s a breath test that can help diagnose SIBO.

CS

impossible
    Topics: 16
    Replies: 606

I have alot of info, ideas and suggestions for you. I just popped on here for a second, I will post up some links and other things later tonight or tmrw. Dont fret, we should be able to get you feelin alot better in a fairly short amount of time. If you wish, I deal with people one on one alot, through curezone. My name there is the same as it is here and pm’ing is usually alot easier than message boards.

Xhale19991

candida_sucks;52178 wrote: Small intestine bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) is also worth looking into, given your severe bloating. There’s a breath test that can help diagnose SIBO.

CS

Ok.

I guess Im just skeptical whether or not a digestive disorder can be the culprit for all the symptoms I have and their severity.

I’ve landed up in the ER on several occasions over the last year. Can candida/sibo be that debilitating or is it likely something else I have?

raster
    Participant

Candida can be very debilitating and it can take a long time to recover. Considering how often you poop, this is not a good thing. Almost all western doctors including the mayo clinic, do not ask about digestion and do not treat digestive disorders.

Most western health facilities do not know much about candida and think its not a big deal. The only unfortunate thing is it has been more studied than cancer, there have been over 60,000 studies on candida in the last 60 years which is about one per day average. This is more than cancer.

It is a serious illness and is often undiagnosed because there isn’t many drugs that can cure or address the problem. What drug helps you digest your food better? What drug kills the candida with no side effects? There isn’t one…

Because your digestion is poor, its like crapping in a toilet without flushing for a week. What happens after that one week? Its gross. That is what is happening in your body essentially. Your liver is cleaning up the mess and sometimes it has a hard time doing its job so you essentially feel toxic.

There are various causes to all of this but it partially could come down to personal habits such as how much you chew your food. If you eat very quickly, the food isn’t broken down and your body has a hard time absorbing it and digesting it. If you chew your food 20-30 times per each bite, this will increase the surface area of the food you eat allowing it digest more easily.

Then their is the fatigue part. This can be influenced by personal habits such as how much caffeine you drink, alcohol, drugs, amount of sleep, sex life (activity), thyroid health, liver health, etc. It sounds like your job could be stressful and physically demanding so you likely wore yourself down allowing for whatever you have to creep in and take over. Then if you don’t drink enough water and eat a poor diet…well you are bound to break down over time.

Then their are other factors that are unique to you. Antibiotics are in general overly prescribed, and these destroy your beneficial bacteria. When the bacterial balance in the gut diminishes, then bad bacteria, parasites, yeast, etc. can repopulate unchecked. So if you ever took antibiotics (almost everyone has) this could have been what caused this in the first place and then you slowly got worse over time due to personal habits, etc.

I can go on and on but I am just trying to get your head wrapped around why you are here and why you should take this seriously…because your digestion is essentially your immune health.

There are a whole host of things similar to yeast overgrowth (also known as candida related complex) such as h.pylori, sibo, parasites, microbial overgrowth, strept, etc. so it might not be candida. We don’t know. However its very common and underdiagnosed. All of those problems I just mentioned can be caused by the same factors…poor digestion and prior antibiotic use, so there is a whole complex of problems that you may have that are similar to candida.

-raster

Xhale19991

raster;52181 wrote: Candida can be very debilitating and it can take a long time to recover. Considering how often you poop, this is not a good thing. Almost all western doctors including the mayo clinic, do not ask about digestion and do not treat digestive disorders.

Most western health facilities do not know much about candida and think its not a big deal. The only unfortunate thing is it has been more studied than cancer, there have been over 60,000 studies on candida in the last 60 years which is about one per day average. This is more than cancer.

It is a serious illness and is often undiagnosed because there isn’t many drugs that can cure or address the problem. What drug helps you digest your food better? What drug kills the candida with no side effects? There isn’t one…

Because your digestion is poor, its like crapping in a toilet without flushing for a week. What happens after that one week? Its gross. That is what is happening in your body essentially. Your liver is cleaning up the mess and sometimes it has a hard time doing its job so you essentially feel toxic.

There are various causes to all of this but it partially could come down to personal habits such as how much you chew your food. If you eat very quickly, the food isn’t broken down and your body has a hard time absorbing it and digesting it. If you chew your food 20-30 times per each bite, this will increase the surface area of the food you eat allowing it digest more easily.

Then their is the fatigue part. This can be influenced by personal habits such as how much caffeine you drink, alcohol, drugs, amount of sleep, sex life (activity), thyroid health, liver health, etc. It sounds like your job could be stressful and physically demanding so you likely wore yourself down allowing for whatever you have to creep in and take over. Then if you don’t drink enough water and eat a poor diet…well you are bound to break down over time.

Then their are other factors that are unique to you. Antibiotics are in general overly prescribed, and these destroy your beneficial bacteria. When the bacterial balance in the gut diminishes, then bad bacteria, parasites, yeast, etc. can repopulate unchecked. So if you ever took antibiotics (almost everyone has) this could have been what caused this in the first place and then you slowly got worse over time due to personal habits, etc.

I can go on and on but I am just trying to get your head wrapped around why you are here and why you should take this seriously…because your digestion is essentially your immune health.

There are a whole host of things similar to yeast overgrowth (also known as candida related complex) such as h.pylori, sibo, parasites, microbial overgrowth, strept, etc. so it might not be candida. We don’t know. However its very common and underdiagnosed. All of those problems I just mentioned can be caused by the same factors…poor digestion and prior antibiotic use, so there is a whole complex of problems that you may have that are similar to candida.

-raster

Wow thank you.

If western doctors don’t know much about digestive disorders, who can I see for help?

raster
    Participant

The way I look at thing is most western doctors treat the symptoms via drugs. They don’t usually cure many people and don’t address the cause of the symptoms. There are very few drugs that are effective for completely reversing whatever you are ill with. If you have a bacterial overgrowth, then antibiotics may or may not work and be prescribed. If its parasites its pretty much the same thing.

For yeast, there is a different class of antifungal drugs which basically encompass nystatin and fluconazole (mispell). Here are some posts about these prescription antifungal drugs by dvjorge:

http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst4633_Understanding-Candida-Related-Complex.aspx

and

http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst4751_Rx-Antifungals.aspx

The antifungals will kill the yeast but they do have side effects (liver damage) and they alone won’t reverse CRC (candida related complex) in most cases. My naturopath thinks that they make the candida go deeper in the body and this is why he doesn’t prescribe them.

Natural antifungals such as garlic, various acids (caprylic acid for instance), oregano oil, grapefruit seed extract, black walnut, etc. can be effective for killing yeast. The only problem with killing the yeast is you just kill it, it doesn’t reverse your digestive, gut flora, and additional problems that you may or may not have (such as liver damage, thyroid issue, adrenal fatigue, etc). So you could get in a situation where you just kill the yeast over and over and over with antifungals (or rx drugs) and this doesn’t address overall fundamental basic problems within the body.

So my recommendation is go to a naturopathic doctor who can heal these various organs and get you on an individualized plan for recovery. Most people on this forum can’t afford good medical care and so they go the treat yourself route. This is problematic because they don’t often have overall/holistic medical knowledge and could set back their progress because they aren’t aware of a different and ongoing problem. So in other words, they just worry about the yeast but not the big picture. A naturopath will heal multiple organs at once.

The only problem with naturopathic doctors is they are expensive. You’ll have to purchase supplements, vitamins, antifungals, probiotics, etc. and could spend a few hundred bucks per month (for awhile). The good thing though is you will get better much faster (if they are good) and they can potentially address whatever additional problems/complications that may arise in your treatment. Another problem is they vary in their knowledge and effectiveness…so finding a good one who has treated yeast (and other) problems for 20-30 years is quite important.

Western medicine does have its pluses though. You can do all sorts of testing (for cheap if you have insurance). The prescription antifungals have cured some people with light infestations. Some of their testing though doesn’t indicate any problem whatsoever(like thyroid or adrenal health) and they may not have a drug to treat you. Western doctors prescribe drugs only pretty much, eastern doctors do not typically. Thats the difference.

And for digestive problems, there isn’t many drugs out there to help you…

-raster

candida_sucks
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 148

Xhale19991;52180 wrote:

Small intestine bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) is also worth looking into, given your severe bloating. There’s a breath test that can help diagnose SIBO.

CS

Ok.

I guess Im just skeptical whether or not a digestive disorder can be the culprit for all the symptoms I have and their severity.

I’ve landed up in the ER on several occasions over the last year. Can candida/sibo be that debilitating or is it likely something else I have?

There are MDs like Orian Truss that wrote entire books about candidiasis. These books include lots of descriptions of patients’ symptoms and just how bad things can get.

The books are also full of cases of people being successfully treated with a combination of proper diet and Nystatin therapy. Nystatin is technically a natural anti-fungal, though it is available only through prescription in the USA. It is non-toxic because it is not absorbed into the bloodstream. As such, it will not affect the liver.

In addition to naturopathic doctors, there are also holistic MDs that will treat people for this kind of stuff. I found one using the link below:

Functional medicine practitioner search

Cheers,
    CS

impossible
    Topics: 16
    Replies: 606

What viral tests have you had done and what were the results? Did anything else occur healthwise shortly before or the same time these symptoms started? Were the stool tests done just the hospital tests?

Xhale19991

impossible;52188 wrote: What viral tests have you had done and what were the results? Did anything else occur healthwise shortly before or the same time these symptoms started? Were the stool tests done just the hospital tests?

Im not sure about the viral testing. Most of the testing I had done at mayo was for things like cancer, tumors, MS, cns disorders, etc… I didn’t really get any viral testing done I don’t think. They also didn’t do any GI/stool tests.

No nothing that I can think of in terms of anything that happened to me when the symptoms started. It all kinda came out of the blue.

Tdog333
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 245

How long ago did this happen, and what had you been doing a few weeks prior? Antibiotics, any fevers, stressful situations, exposure to mold/toxins? How often did you get sick before all this happened.

Edit: have you ever taken antibiotics at all? Accutane, anything like that?

Xhale19991

Tdog333;52190 wrote: How long ago did this happen, and what had you been doing a few weeks prior? Antibiotics, any fevers, stressful situations, exposure to mold/toxins? How often did you get sick before all this happened.

Edit: have you ever taken antibiotics at all? Accutane, anything like that?

O yea. I’ve been on accutane 3 times. Once 6 years ago, once 4 years ago, and I just finished up another 6 month course about a year and a half ago.

I cant tell u exactly when i started feeling bad as the symptoms started gradually and then progressed up to the severity that they are now. I didn’t get sick very often. A typical cold here and there, nothing out of the ordinary.

Xhale19991

So whats up? Can the accutane be a culprit for something?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Desperate for advice. Could this be candida?’ is closed to new replies.