Curing bloating, constipation etc

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Curing bloating, constipation etc

This topic contains 11 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  flailingWcandi 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Javizy
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 945

I’m 6 weeks in to the diet now, but I’m still suffering from bloating and sluggish bowels despite being strict. I’ve kept my diet simple and have noticed reactions to oat bran, sesame and Greek yoghurt so far.

Allergies may be playing a role, but after Thomas mentioned the FODMAP diet the other day, I’ve been thinking IBS-friendly diets may hold some answers. People talk of treating their bloating and other symptoms with FODMAP (doesn’t seem to provide a long-term solution), and even more drastic improvements are mentioned by people using the Standard Carbohydrate Diet (complete recovery from colitis and such).

I don’t expect them to provide a cure, but I need to make some therapeutic changes to the diet I’m following now to progress. Sluggish bowels will make it impossible to heal gut problems and continue to fuel candida and other pathogens. I’ve also looked back over my food diary and noticed my symptoms were worse after eating a lot of the non-allowed foods on FODMAP (artichokes, onions, FOS etc).

Has anyone tried either of these diets, or found other solutions to these symptoms?

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Javizy, just like a Candida infestation and the leaky gut syndrome, IBS is caused by a lack of intestinal flora or beneficial bacteria. You also need a good, easily digested fiber source to feed the flora. This is why such foods as rice bran flour and organic oat bran is so beneficial as they’re “soft” fibers and therefore less likely to cause irritation or more damage. Wheat fiber, on the other hand is considered a ‘hard’ fiber.

By the same token, bloating is more often than not caused by a lack of stomach acid leading to fermentation in the stomach. As the stomach acid is increased by populating the intestines with a plentiful supply of flora, the bloating normally decreases.

Also, low stomach acids can’t produce enough hydrochloric acid (HCL) and enzymes for proper the digestion of foods also leading to bloating. Because of this, you may want to consider taking a supplement of HCL for a while.

In addition, the Swedish Bitters, zinc, and yucca root may be able to help the problem.

Able

Javizy

I tested some HCl a couple of times, but I seemed to get a warm feeling, which isn’t a good sign. I was taking the bitters for 5 weeks but they didn’t seem to help (not that it’s easy to judge). Giving them a break and avoiding water around meals hasn’t made a difference either. I started zinc and vitamin A + D about two weeks ago. I’ve been taking a weak probiotic (4bn) and I’m waiting for a few kinds of higher-quality ones to arrive.

I don’t have IBS as such, I’m just experiencing IBS-like symptoms on top of everything else. I don’t plan to stop the protocol by any means, I’m just wondering how best to adapt my diet to resolve the issues I’ve been having, since they’re really making it hard to progress. I thought maybe it’d be worth trying to eliminate FODMAP foods while sticking to the allowed list here since FODMAP/SCD seems to have a good track record. It’s so hard to judge intolerances without elimination, and even then it’s not easy. I guess I’ve just got to experiment.

Chris24
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 329

Do you gain weight easily by any chance?

Javizy

Chris24 wrote: Do you gain weight easily by any chance?

Couldn’t gain a pound on a diet on over 200g of sugar per day and high in fat… I dread to think what was happening instead of weight gain. Maybe I burnt a lot of it off through stress. I’ve noticed that a lot of slim people who say ‘I can eat what I want without worrying about it’ tend to look like sh**, and I can’t say I look much better myself.

CT
    Replies: 63

Hi, I am using some parts of the fodmap diet to exclude some of the food from the allowed list on this forum. I am only excluding the items that I know I am sensitive to such as fructose and fructans. For example lactose is excluded on the fodmap diet, but I am fine with this so I still eat yoghurt.

Even with all this I still find that I still suffer from both bloating and constipation. I think that is just part of the candida diet or I am not getting enough fibre?

I can’t really give much advice on the fodmap diet helping to prevent constipation because I was the complete oppposite, eating foods like onions or apples gave me diarrhea. I think food intolerance/food sensitivities harm individuals in different ways so if you think a certain food causes a certain problem then leave it out and see if your symptom improves. If you need a good fodmap food list for removing high fructose and fructans I can post one for you if needed. The full list can be in a book by sue sheppherd.

If your reaction to sesame is an intestinal thing rather than allergic that may be because it has an unequal fructose to glucose ratio.

Javizy

CT wrote: Even with all this I still find that I still suffer from both bloating and constipation. I think that is just part of the candida diet or I am not getting enough fibre?

A lot of people, if not everyone, seems to experience it here. I’ve seen a few members who still complained about it after months into the diet, and they didn’t seem to be making great progress. Maybe it is just a matter of waiting, or maybe it’s an issue with enzymes like Able was suggesting.

The fibre question is hard to answer, since some people respond better to a low-fibre diet initially or just certain kinds of soluble fibre or completely indigestible (even by microbes) fibre like that in flaxseed.

CT wrote: I can’t really give much advice on the fodmap diet helping to prevent constipation because I was the complete oppposite, eating foods like onions or apples gave me diarrhea. I think food intolerance/food sensitivities harm individuals in different ways so if you think a certain food causes a certain problem then leave it out and see if your symptom improves. If you need a good fodmap food list for removing high fructose and fructans I can post one for you if needed. The full list can be in a book by sue sheppherd.

This is part of the problem. I know sesame and other foods I’ve attempted to introduce cause problems, but I don’t know about lemons, eggs, lettuce, cucumber and the other foods I eat daily or frequently. There are many possibilities in there and giving them all up would be impossible. I’m cutting out the onions for now, and I’m going to have to work out a rotation diet avoiding a few foods for a week at a time or something. I think I’ll try an enzyme supplement, like Raster recommends too. Since testing and stuff isn’t an option I guess I’ve just gotta rely on trial and error and stick to my commitment.

Chris24
    Replies: 329

How are you on dry food? Do you eat a lot of salades? Buckwheat? Light ‘airy’ vegetables? Spices?

Myself, I’m quite a thin, light, cold (circulation) and dry person, so I avoid food with the same properties, because it causes indigestion (unbalance). For instance: I never eat salades because it is light, dry, and cold. It causes constipation.

JillC
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 1

Because yeast overgrowth depletes the nutrients from our body we need to take a daily multi-vitamin into your daily routine.
    Take a digestive enzyme that contains cellulose, this will break down walls.
    Here is a great article that may help, I found it very useful. http://www.puristat.com/candida/default.aspx

serenedream
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 84

Chris24;11682 wrote: Do you gain weight easily by any chance?

Does weight gain present a symptom correlating to sluggish bowels/diarrhea? Curious to hear your thoughts or why you proposed this question 🙂

moochpb
    Topics: 112
    Replies: 688

I ve been on the diet for two months and antifungals for two months, plus probiotics, enzymes, bitters and magnesium. I have two bm a day but I bloat still no matter what I eat. I m 5 10 male 133 pounds right now. I have Sibo and yeast so I m assuming it will take awhile to get rid of the bloating, well thats what people on the forum and the naturapath. I bloat below the belly button and its so damn stressful, just gas build up im assuming

flailingWcandi
    Topics: 13
    Replies: 277

Able900;11666 wrote:
    Also, low stomach acids can’t produce enough hydrochloric acid (HCL) and enzymes for proper the digestion of foods also leading to bloating. Because of this, you may want to consider taking a supplement of HCL for a while.

In addition, the Swedish Bitters, zinc, and yucca root may be able to help the problem.

Able

While it’s true I was drinking a lot of water with meals while on the diet and bloating pains were horrible. Perhaps the h2o was diluting stomach acids. However, when I use HCL I get horrible acid indigestion, so I’m a little at a loss. Presently, I’ve upped Probiotics a couple of brands RENEWLIFE 50 billion every other day and up to 3 capsules each of GARDEN OF LIFE Primal Defense and GARDEN OF LIFE RAW Primal Defense and have no bloating nor acid issues presently. Which leaves me confused about HCL and my particular situation…..

Has anyone else gotten horrible acid indigestion from HCL?

My bloating when it comes starts almost immediately from the stomach almost through to the colon….small intestinal bloating.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Curing bloating, constipation etc’ is closed to new replies.