Cure yourself by drinking baking soda? (true or false)

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Cure yourself by drinking baking soda? (true or false)

This topic contains 12 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  TheChosenOne 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Angor
    Topics: 47
    Replies: 136

I read that drinking baking soda would be some kind of “miracle cure” for curing candida. True or false? Dangerous or beneficial? It did something with the PH if I remember it right.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

One of the theories is that your bodies pH is too acidic. You need to alkalize your pH, and this can be done with baking soda or certain foods. The only bad thing about it is that you could potentially seriously harm yourself by altering pH too quickly and even requiring hospitalization.

What me and able have told forum members is that your pH should change naturally to the correct levels throughout the course of your treatment.

Able feels that you need to make your pH more acidic:

http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postsm13083_A-Simple-Explanation-pH.aspx#post13083

I bet altering your pH is more effective than enemas, but this is my personal opinion.

-raster

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

raster wrote: Able feels that you need to make your pH more acidic:

The reason that I believe that is because we do this when following the protocol on the forum. The probiotics that we take during the treatment contain billions of colony forming units of beneficial bacteria, such as acidophilus, and are actually called Lactic acid bacteria. These bacteria release natural acids in our intestines and colon thus creating an acidic pH environment in which they thrive but in which the Candida cannot survive.

Able

Thomas
    Topics: 71
    Replies: 605

Angor wrote: I read that drinking baking soda would be some kind of “miracle cure” for curing candida. True or false? Dangerous or beneficial? It did something with the PH if I remember it right.

Hi mate,
    what I learned so far is that we need stomach acid to kill the bacteria coming into the stomach with the food. If a patient has to little stomachacid there is a real danger off getting too many bacteria passing into the small intestines. To drink baking soda, tell me if I am wrong, neutralise the stomach acids. Why would that be good for you if you dont have too much acid?

The problems of SIBO are similar to the sympthoms the candida patient suffers.
    Through the release and through the dying of bacteria he too suffers the die-off. Endotoxins play harvoc with your health and suffer exactly like having candida.

I too would like to hear some more people sharing knowleadge about that issue as it comes up time and again. I heard and tested it myself where one takes half a citrus fruit and mix that with soda. I have no idea what that is doing but it bubbled a hell of a lot. 😉

cheers
    Thomas

dvjorge
    Participant
    Topics: 283
    Replies: 1368

The antifungal activity of Baking Soda isn’t specifically linked to a change in the PH. It is antifungal by other mechanisms.

Jorge.

flailingWcandi
    Topics: 13
    Replies: 277

Able900 wrote:

Able feels that you need to make your pH more acidic:

The reason that I believe that is because we do this when following the protocol on the forum. The probiotics that we take during the treatment contain billions of colony forming units of beneficial bacteria, such as acidophilus, and are actually called Lactic acid bacteria. These bacteria release natural acids in our intestines and colon thus creating an acidic pH environment in which they thrive but in which the Candida cannot survive.

Able

This brings up a topic which has confused me for some time now (one of many).

From my understanding an acidic body pH creates disease. Many think one needs to get the body to a more alkaline state for healing: thus lemon water which is acidic but, alkalizing to the body (which confuses me as well). Yet, as you state candida likes alkaline environments and a trick to healing is to make things more acidic. Further complicating this puzzle are sugars are acidic and yet favor candida.

Water is neutral around 7.0 pH….chlorophyll is very close to good blood pH at 7.3…

Baking soda is alkalizing from my understanding: perhaps the fizzing is from lemon/acids combining with the BS.

I realize there is a lot behind the protocol which isn’t fully explained but, is within the protocol nonetheless. I for one thank you for that but, it would be interesting to figure this confusing stuff out as well……

Angor
    Topics: 47
    Replies: 136

I’m with flailingWcandi. It doesn’t make sense to make your body more acidic. Just take a look at the alkaline food and the acidic:

Highly Alkalizing Foods

Artichokes, Arugula, Asparagus, Avocado, baking soda, beet greens, beets, broccoli, cabbage, cabbage lettuce, carrots, cauliflower, celery, celery root, chard, chicory, chives, cilantro,collards, comfrey, cucumbers, dandelion greens, eggplant, endive, fennel, garlic, ginger, wheat grass and its juice, barley grass, kamut grass, green beans, jicama, kohlrabi, leeks, lemon, lettuce, lima beans, lime, lotus root, mustard greens, onions, parsley, peas, peppers, pumpkin, radishes, rhubarb, rutabaga, sea salt, sea vegetables, seaweed, sorrel, soy lecithin, soy beans, soy nuts, spinach, sprouted beans-grains-seeds in all variaties, squash, sweet poatoes, taro root, tomatoes, tomatillos, turnips, wasabi, watercress, zucchini.

Highly Acidic Foods

Bacon, Barley malt sweetener, Biscuits, Butter, Bread-white bread, chicken, cheese, eggs, cakes, corn, corn meal, crab, lobster, mushrooms, organic cheese, oatmeal, oats, ocean fish, pasta, pastries, pork, rice, sausages, shrimp, turkey, veal, Alcohol of all kinds, artificial sweeteners, candy, cheese, cocoa, coffee and black tea, cottonseed oil, refined oils, both raw milk and cow’s milk that has been homogenized and pasteurized, fried foods of all kinds, game birds, hydrogenated oil, ice cream, jam, jelly, hops, malt, margarine, milk chocolate, msg, processed foods, pudding, refined sugar, white sugar, table salt(NaCl), vinegar of all kinds, yeast, soft drinks, candy, processed foods of all kinds.

Could someone explain?

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

flailingWcandi wrote: I realize there is a lot behind the protocol which isn’t fully explained but, is within the protocol nonetheless. I for one thank you for that but, it would be interesting to figure this confusing stuff out as well..

You’re right, Flailing, the pH balance of the body is extremely confusing to everyone who attempts to study it. I’m going to give you a few facts about this phenomenon, which is really the best way to learn about the pH balance and the factors it plays in your health.

(a) The term pH is in reference to the concentration of hydrogen ions contained in a solution. An acidic environment is rich with hydrogen ions, whereas a pH of 7 or greater is considered basic or alkaline and is relatively depleted of hydrogen ions. The pH of biological systems is an important factor to health because this determines the type of microorganisms which are able to survive and operate in a particular environment.

(b) There is no such thing as a universal diet, it simply doesn’t exist. The reasons for this is, each of us are individuals and what works for one person may or may not work for the next. A balanced pH diet is uniquely personal for each person. So when you consider this fact, trying to find constructive answers concerning your own pH balance by discussing it on a forum is completely fruitless. The best you can do is to learn scientific, substantiated facts about the pH of a human body.

(b) Can you change the pH balance of your ‘body’? First of all, let me make it clear that I don’t believe we should even attempt to change the pH balance of our “body in general” by eating specific foods or drinking specific drinks such as water containing baking soda; and I have strong doubts about changing the entire pH balance of your entire body because various sections of the body have a natural and ‘different’ pH balance than other parts. For example:

The blood’s pH range is between 7.35 and 7.45
    The pH of the human mouth stays close to 7.0
    The healthy range of human saliva is 6.3 to 6.6
    Normal ranges for the pH of urine are 4.5 to 8
    Normal skin pH levels are in the 4 to 5.5 range
    Sweat is acidic and helps to create a more acidic pH on the skin so that harmful pathogens are destroyed when they come into contact with the skin.
    And the normal stomach pH is around 1.5 to 2

(c) Can you actually do anything to help control your own pH balance in different areas? Yes you can. For example; compounds which contribute to the number of hydrogen ions (acids) in a solution are called, of course, acids. An example is hydrochloric acid (HCl) which is a strong acid. This is the reason that we advocate the use of HCl during the Candida treatment; because it helps to keep the pH balance of your stomach in the low 1.5 to 2 range.

(d) Certain microorganisms can actually raise the pH of a specific environment to a more alkaline condition by releasing ammonia. This is exactly what Candida albicans do in your body, and this is the reason that they are able to destroy beneficial bacteria and how they add to that sick feeling we all know so well. We refer to this as die-off, but in reality, what we call “die-off” in reference to dying Candida can also be caused by the living Candida which continuously release a highly alkalized ammonia into your body.

A few more facts:

+ Natural rain water has a pH of about 5.6

+ The EPA’s required pH levels for drinking water is 6.5-8.5

+ Acidosis: This occurs when the body contains too much acid, and normally refers to the plasma or blood pH. This occurs when the blood falls below a 7.35 pH level.

+ Alkalosis: This occurs when the body’s pH levels reach a level higher than 7.45

To further explain my comment in the previous post;

It’s recommended that anyone with a Candida albicans infestation should take very high doses of probiotics, and this usually turns out to be the main reason that the infestation begins to substantially diminish. It’s a well documented scientific fact that beneficial flora or bacteria in the digestive tract create lactic acid which produces short chain fatty acids as a by-product of fermentation in the intestinal tract. The fatty acids are food for the mucosal lining of the intestines and are indispensable to musocal health and its optimal functioning.

I’m sure this is still a confusing subject, but I hope it helped a few of you at least.
    Able

dvjorge
    Participant
    Topics: 283
    Replies: 1368

I am against drinking substances that alkalize the intestines.

There is only one thing I could take temporary, Cimetidine. (Tagamet) It may change the things regarding to a persistent fungal infection.

The bacterial flora antagonism is caused by the production of Acetic and Lactic Acids by some type of bacterias. It looks like it inhibits the growth of Candida and avoids its morphogenesis to a pathogenic state.

Candida has influence in the re-colonization of the gut after antibiotic intake. It avoid Lactic Acid producer re-colonization by inhibitory mechanisms.

Jorge.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22778094

This is the result of Lactic Acid inhibitory activity at different Phs. This suggest that at alkaline PH there isn’t protection from Lactic Acid. So, consider carefully rising the intestinal Ph to an alkaline state. The article stays there isn’t inhibition by Lactic Acid at Ph above 4.5. Well, this open more questions because the normal Colon Ph is between 5.5 and 7. I mean the large bowel where candida growths more than any other place. This may suggest there are other inhibitory mechanisms in the intestines no linked to the Lactic Acid production.

Effects of pH and Temperature on Anti-C. albicans Activity
    The anti-C. albicans activity was found to be heat stable. Concentrated
    supernatant autoclaved for 15 min at 121°C retained full inhibitory activity against C.
    albicans growth. The activity was stable at pH values that were between 2.5-4.0 but
    rapidly decreased between pH 4.0-4.5. No inhibitory activity was detected at a pH
    above 4.5. The activity was regained after readjustment of the pH to the starting value
    (pH 3.5). Initially, a cross streak method was used to evaluate the anti-C. albicans
    activities. The pH value in the zone was approximately 3.5 to 3.8, suggesting a limited
    contribution of undissociated lactic acid to the inhibitory effect. However, the
    reduction in anti-C. albicans activity of the culture filtrates at pH values exceeding 4.0
    indicates synergistic effects between lactic acid and other antifungal substances. The
    possibility of increased desorption of antifungal substances from the bacterial cells at
    very low pH values suggests further very complex interactions between the antifungal
    effects of LAB and the pH (20).

flailingWcandi
    Topics: 13
    Replies: 277

Able900 wrote:
    I’m sure this is still a confusing subject, but I hope it helped a few of you at least.
    Able

Thank you Able, Jorge and everyone…..certainly helps give me a better understanding but, it’s still confusing at this juncture. Though, it seems to shed some light on how things got terribly wrong with certain food choices. Have a LOT to grasp and wouldn’t stand a chance without sharing with you all.

God bless

dforbreakfast
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 39

Able900 wrote:

I realize there is a lot behind the protocol which isn’t fully explained but, is within the protocol nonetheless. I for one thank you for that but, it would be interesting to figure this confusing stuff out as well..

You’re right, Flailing, the pH balance of the body is extremely confusing to everyone who attempts to study it. I’m going to give you a few facts about this phenomenon, which is really the best way to learn about the pH balance and the factors it plays in your health.

(a) The term pH is in reference to the concentration of hydrogen ions contained in a solution. An acidic environment is rich with hydrogen ions, whereas a pH of 7 or greater is considered basic or alkaline and is relatively depleted of hydrogen ions. The pH of biological systems is an important factor to health because this determines the type of microorganisms which are able to survive and operate in a particular environment.

(b) There is no such thing as a universal diet, it simply doesn’t exist. The reasons for this is, each of us are individuals and what works for one person may or may not work for the next. A balanced pH diet is uniquely personal for each person. So when you consider this fact, trying to find constructive answers concerning your own pH balance by discussing it on a forum is completely fruitless. The best you can do is to learn scientific, substantiated facts about the pH of a human body.

(b) Can you change the pH balance of your ‘body’? First of all, let me make it clear that I don’t believe we should even attempt to change the pH balance of our “body in general” by eating specific foods or drinking specific drinks such as water containing baking soda; and I have strong doubts about changing the entire pH balance of your entire body because various sections of the body have a natural and ‘different’ pH balance than other parts. For example:

The blood’s pH range is between 7.35 and 7.45
    The pH of the human mouth stays close to 7.0
    The healthy range of human saliva is 6.3 to 6.6
    Normal ranges for the pH of urine are 4.5 to 8
    Normal skin pH levels are in the 4 to 5.5 range
    Sweat is acidic and helps to create a more acidic pH on the skin so that harmful pathogens are destroyed when they come into contact with the skin.
    And the normal stomach pH is around 1.5 to 2

(c) Can you actually do anything to help control your own pH balance in different areas? Yes you can. For example; compounds which contribute to the number of hydrogen ions (acids) in a solution are called, of course, acids. An example is hydrochloric acid (HCl) which is a strong acid. This is the reason that we advocate the use of HCl during the Candida treatment; because it helps to keep the pH balance of your stomach in the low 1.5 to 2 range.

(d) Certain microorganisms can actually raise the pH of a specific environment to a more alkaline condition by releasing ammonia. This is exactly what Candida albicans do in your body, and this is the reason that they are able to destroy beneficial bacteria and how they add to that sick feeling we all know so well. We refer to this as die-off, but in reality, what we call “die-off” in reference to dying Candida can also be caused by the living Candida which continuously release a highly alkalized ammonia into your body.

A few more facts:

+ Natural rain water has a pH of about 5.6

+ The EPA’s required pH levels for drinking water is 6.5-8.5

+ Acidosis: This occurs when the body contains too much acid, and normally refers to the plasma or blood pH. This occurs when the blood falls below a 7.35 pH level.

+ Alkalosis: This occurs when the body’s pH levels reach a level higher than 7.45

To further explain my comment in the previous post;

It’s recommended that anyone with a Candida albicans infestation should take very high doses of probiotics, and this usually turns out to be the main reason that the infestation begins to substantially diminish. It’s a well documented scientific fact that beneficial flora or bacteria in the digestive tract create lactic acid which produces short chain fatty acids as a by-product of fermentation in the intestinal tract. The fatty acids are food for the mucosal lining of the intestines and are indispensable to musocal health and its optimal functioning.

Able

This is interesting! I was on another forum for candida on Facebook and there was a lady on there who would not SHUT UP about everybody needing to raise their pH, buy the test strips, drink baking soda water with powdered greens and trace minerals to raise the pH. It kinda drove me crazy enough that I left, I felt like every conversation on there turned into her interrogating you about whether you were keeping up with your pH levels.

I take Betaine HCL for the gas that I get due to eating such high volume of vegetables… I was confused about why I should be so concerned with raising my pH but also be taking essentially hydrochloric ACID to help my stomach. Didn’t make sense.

runmillerun
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 18

Angor;28458 wrote: I’m with flailingWcandi. It doesn’t make sense to make your body more acidic. Just take a look at the alkaline food and the acidic:

Highly Alkalizing Foods

Artichokes, Arugula, Asparagus, Avocado, baking soda, beet greens, beets, broccoli, cabbage, cabbage lettuce, carrots, cauliflower, celery, celery root, chard, chicory, chives, cilantro,collards, comfrey, cucumbers, dandelion greens, eggplant, endive, fennel, garlic, ginger, wheat grass and its juice, barley grass, kamut grass, green beans, jicama, kohlrabi, leeks, lemon, lettuce, lima beans, lime, lotus root, mustard greens, onions, parsley, peas, peppers, pumpkin, radishes, rhubarb, rutabaga, sea salt, sea vegetables, seaweed, sorrel, soy lecithin, soy beans, soy nuts, spinach, sprouted beans-grains-seeds in all variaties, squash, sweet poatoes, taro root, tomatoes, tomatillos, turnips, wasabi, watercress, zucchini.

Highly Acidic Foods

Bacon, Barley malt sweetener, Biscuits, Butter, Bread-white bread, chicken, cheese, eggs, cakes, corn, corn meal, crab, lobster, mushrooms, organic cheese, oatmeal, oats, ocean fish, pasta, pastries, pork, rice, sausages, shrimp, turkey, veal, Alcohol of all kinds, artificial sweeteners, candy, cheese, cocoa, coffee and black tea, cottonseed oil, refined oils, both raw milk and cow’s milk that has been homogenized and pasteurized, fried foods of all kinds, game birds, hydrogenated oil, ice cream, jam, jelly, hops, malt, margarine, milk chocolate, msg, processed foods, pudding, refined sugar, white sugar, table salt(NaCl), vinegar of all kinds, yeast, soft drinks, candy, processed foods of all kinds.

Could someone explain?

TheChosenOne
    Participant
    Topics: 34
    Replies: 410

This is a post I made about a month ago:
    The body is a quite complex system and it is not that easy. It depends on what you mean with “environment”. Blood ph levels and ph levels in the stomach, intestine and colon are at different levels. In general, your body must be alkaline to function well. If not, you deprive your body from essential minerals (like calcium, magnesium, …). Things that make your body alkaline are raw vegetables and fruits (especially citrus fruits, like lemons). Things that make your body acidic are things like red meat, coffee, alcohol, … (the reason why you can’t eat these).
    BUT Your intestines have to be acidic. Your stomach has to be very acidic, otherwise all sorts of pathogens can enter your system. Candida likes an alkaline environment. Hence, the probiotics and the acidic antifungals.

Candida is not really a disease, it is a symptom of an underlying problem. For example, a sick body that is too acidic and can’t get rid of its toxins. The solution of curing candida lies in restoring your body by alkalising in general (the diet) and acidifying the intestines (probiotics). This way your body can function properly and can eliminate the candida itself. Some believe that most diseases (even cancer) are caused by a body that is too acidic. I tend to believe this, but I’m still figuring out how far this is true.

To come back to your question. Your stomach needs to be acid. By taking baking soda, you will decrease the acidity enormously. Baking powder is quite alkaline (ph of about 8.2-8.3). It will react with the stomach acid, which is obviously acid. The next reaction will take place:
    NaHCO3 + HCL -> H2O + NaCl + CO2
    As a result, water, salt and carbon dioxide are formed. The CO2 is what makes you belch.
    If you like a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjVrIFScsls

Some (alternative) doctors believe that fungi (candida albicans) are the cause of cancer and they (sometimes successfully) treat patients with baking soda. But they inject the baking soda directly at the tumour area, not via the intestines. http://youtu.be/gWLrfNJICeM?t=1h12m35s

If you want to try baking soda, use it between meals, not with meals.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Cure yourself by drinking baking soda? (true or false)’ is closed to new replies.