Cookie recipe

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Cookie recipe

This topic contains 13 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  ducktorwho 7 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Lily
    Topics: 14
    Replies: 42

Is it ok to use ordinary white flour? I want to try and make cookies or flapjacks but baking isn’t my strong point and at a bit of a loss as to what to use for substitute’s. We can’t get stevia in the UK, although think but not sure we can get xylitol. So I could swap sugar for one of those but the recipe says margarine. What could I use instead? Guessing instead of oats I could use amaranth?? Never had it before so no idea what it tastes like! Help!!! I feel that if I know what I could use as substitute’s then I could possibly have a go at making a few things!

Hope
    Topics: 22
    Replies: 187

Hi, Lily 🙂 Plain white flour is still from wheat, it’s just had the bran and germ removed so it’s not “whole” wheat flour. It’s also usually been bleached to make it whiter. White flour digests SUPER quickly and converts into sugars with lightning speed. You definitely don’t want to use *any* all-purpose white wheat flour on this diet.

As far as baking goes, I’d say it might be better to start off with recipes designed specifically for the approved grain and go from there. If you don’t bake to begin with, substitutions are likely to be a waste of your time, energy, and ingredients. In other words, they probably won’t work well. Once you see amaranth, for instance, you’ll see that you really cannot substitute amaranth in place of oats in a recipe.

You might try googling something like “gluten-free sugar-free cookies” or “gluten-free cookies with stevia”, but I don’t know that you’ll find something that still doesn’t need substitutions. I don’t want to discourage you! Can I say that again? I don’t want to discourage you!!! 🙂 But maybe start small and begin to learn your new ingredients before trying to take a “normal recipe” favorite and convert it into an anti-candida recipe. That takes some baking no-how, I think.

I’m going to do a post soon, I think, on baking with the approved flours and maybe with a few recipes for snacky foods. I actually made mini carob cupcakes a few weeks back that tasted pretty good. I know others would appreciate a treat or two in their freezers for tough days. Maybe I can get on that this weekend.

Hang in there!!

p.s. Will no one ship stevia to the UK? One bottle goes a LONG way as you don’t need much at all per serving. It seems like it would be worth the shipping cost (?).

Lily

Hi Hope

Wow you’re knowledge on all this stuff is invaluable! Thanks 🙂 I shall google a few recipes and see what comes up. Would be lovely to have something snacky like a cookie or flapjack occasionally.

As for stevia I’m sure I read that the Food Standards Administration in the UK said “Stevia and stevioside are not permitted for sale as food or food ingredients in the UK and most other European Union (EU) countries” – whether this means I could ship some over I’m not sure!

It would be great if a recipe section could be set up as a lot of people struggle with finding things to eat on this diet. It’s very repetitive, which I find makes it harder to stick with. Although since I’m detoxing all over again (day 2 has just begun) and I have the horrible headache and nausea back there is no way on this earth I’m lapsing this time!!

I’m off to the health food shop later today to see what I can find!

NeekyNoo
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 46

Hi Lily,
    You can get Stevia and xylitol in the uk, I bought Xylitol from a health shop and Stevia on line. I can’t remember where I got it from, but there appear to be plenty of stockists http://www.google.co.uk/m/products?oe=UTF-8&client=safari&q=stevia&hl=en&bl=/m/search?q%3Dstevia%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dsafari&source=search&channel=products&ei=FVrrTaDFHYKX8gO126P4AQ&ved=0CB4QzQM

Have you tried making savory snacks?
    Almond meal/pulp left over from milk and flax meal are a great base: http://veggiegrettie.com/2011/03/13/almond-pulp-crackers-guest-blog-from-elenas-pantry/ I will cook mine in my oven, on the lowest rung, on the lowest temperature setting.

Or I made these with buckwheat flour & oil: http://www.recipetips.com/recipe-cards/t–1973/homemade-crackers.asp

Either of these recipes could potentially be adapted slightly to become sweet crackers.

Lily

Thanks 🙂 It’s something sweet I crave. Seems to be all savoury dishes I can have so a cookie or a dessert would be amazing.

NeekyNoo
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 46

I found that the sweet cravings were a stage, and once through it they only pop up occasionally, and don’t last tooo long. The Candida will be making you crave the sweet stuff, so it’s a bit of a battle of wills.

I hope you either find something tasty to make, or get through the stage quickly 🙂

Hope

I agree with NekkyNoo. You likely won’t want sugar/sweets this badly thoughout the diet, but the desire for sweets will pop up here and there. Especially in relation to social functions – birthdays, parties with tasty treats, etc. I’ve been trying to brainstorm as we have 2 family birthday parties this month – 1 for my niece (this Friday) and one for my daughter who’s turning 9. Just this afternoon I put a big glob of nut butter in a bowl (I used macadamia, but almond would be good), added some alcohol-free vanilla and stevia to taste and then 1/2 C. carob powder, adding the carob a little at a time until it was well mixed and dark brown. Then, I froze that mix. Once it was firm, I took 1/2-1 teaspoon fulls and rooled them around in my hands to make little carob balls. I rolled some of the balls in unsweetened coconut, some in an ACD cookie crumb that I made earlier in the week from failed cookies, and some plain. Then I froze the little finished balls again and plan to keep them in the freezer. When frozen, the consistency is kind of like really cold fudge. Once you get your hands on some stevia, a whole new world opens up 🙂

p.s. I wouldn’t eat the carob balls daily, or even several times a week. Carob is a little starchy/carby and my little confection uses quite a lot of it. I plan on saving these for an occasional treat or to use if the brownies I’m trying for Friday’s party flop.

Hang in there! And get some stevia 🙂

Lily

Hoping the cravings go! But occasionally something sweet will be nice for something different 🙂

Hope that recipe sounds lovely! Have found somewhere that sells stevia so will order it. All this stuff is costing a fortune! I couldn’t get alcohol free vanilla in the supermarket so will have to search for that. Never even knew that alcohol was in vanilla essence! Once I know where to get ingredients and have a couple of recipes like yours I’ll be a happy bunny! Have you ever thought of publishing your recipes? Things like the little fudge balls would be a revelation for us candida sufferers 🙂

Hope

lol – girl, this is my 5th baby. No book writting is happening around here! 🙂

But, thank you for the “sweet” encouragement ( ha ha)

Lily

5th?!! How do you find time to do anything?! I’m the youngest of 5 so have an idea what that many kids is like…chaos haha. Brave woman! I have 2 and that was more than enough for me…

LolloRosso
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 18

An amino acid complex suppliment can help the sugar cravings, I take one each night before bed.

For baking I have bought coconut flour and carob flour, haven’t yet tried baking with them but I am a pretty good cook, I can usually muster something up.

helmax
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 20

LolloRosso is right on target with the coconut flour. I buy it by the 4-pack from Amazon, that’s how much we use in our kitchen.
    My problem was having nothing to eat with eggs and fish. What are eggs without a slice of toast or baked bread? Bland as toothpaste that’s what. So now we make a loaf of bread every few days out of coconut flour. It’s a breeze because there are just five ingredients. With this flour you can also make drop biscuits, coconut cookies, vanilla cookies, lemon cookies and several types of muffins such as blueberry. One bag of coconut flour will more than satisfy your taste for sweetness as well as bread. The bread is better if you slice it, brush some olive oil on it with garlic powder and mixed herbs, and toast it in the oven just like garlic bread, delicious. We even fried a chicken using the coconut flour last week. Just go to google and key in “coconut flour recipes” – you’ll be surprised what you find.

A great ‘quick’ snack is half a cup of Organic Greek Plain Yogurt with a couple of tablespoons of coconut cream concentrate mixed in with the yogurt. If it’s not sweet enough for you, add a little sweetener. The only sweetener I can tolerate is one called Truvia which is about twice as sweet as regular sugar.

Just be creative in the kitchen, if you’re not already, you’ll learn how to be quick enough if you just stick with it.

veg2
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 27

thanks for the tip on the bread with coconut flour! I seem to hit a wall every now and then, with the diet in general and new food ideas. Plus, about out of food at the moment anyway, grocery day tomorrow. I’ll google coconut flour recipes first!
    Also-and I know people are from all over on here-but I’m having trouble finding the alcohol free vanilla? I’ve only been working with truvia and xylitol (stevia).

ducktorwho
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 14

Almond flour works great in recipes. I highly recommend it. Elana’s Pantry has fantastic almond flour recipes. I’ve used a couple of her gluten free bread recipes, one of her cookies, and pumpkin muffins. I had to modify them, but it worked fine. Also, The Spunky Coconut has fantastic recipes. She uses a lot of beans and coconut flour.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Cookie recipe’ is closed to new replies.