Confused about Kefir and wondering about coffee

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Confused about Kefir and wondering about coffee

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  monkey 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

monkey
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 7

Ok, so I’m a little confused about fermented foods. The forum consensus seems to be that kefir is a good thing for candida sufferers. In the past, I have made water kefir and coconut kefir. But the water kefir requires added sugar to feed the grains, and I feel pretty positive that not all of the sugars get eaten, as the beverage is decidedly sweet.

You are all talking of milk/yogurt kefir, correct? Can you direct me to a place where I could order the grains for this to make myself? What commercially-prepared brands of kefir would you recommend? I’m sorry if this has already been covered elsewhere. My question is what is it about the kefir tht makes ingesting dairy ok for candida?

Secondly, coffee: I’ve read here that caffeine spikes your blood sugar levels, making ideal conditions for fungal growth, but I guess I’m wondering about why that matters if we’re not consuming sugars to begin with. Is it impossible to heal candida while drinking black coffee? I know that someone will likely suggest to me that I should avoid all risk factors if it means being healthy, and maybe I just need to hear that. But can someone clarify?

Thanks in advance. I am really enjoying reading this forum.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

If you are drinking coffee regularly, I would slowly ween off of it over time. The two biggest reasons to stop it is because it contains molds and the caffeine drains your adrenal glands and thus isn’t helpful for your treatment.

It also helps cause leaky gut, which isn’t a really good thing at all.

I drink it once per week for digestive reasons but will reduce it even more to once every 2 weeks because I recently experienced a bad symptom when I drank it.

I suffer from leaky gut and it has healed very well over the last 7 months. I drank a cup of coffee on Friday and I noticed a little bit of blood in my stool. This means that the coffee inflamed my intestines and promoted leaky gut some, which was bothersome. I haven’t had any blood in my stool for 2-3 months.

Pre-made milk kefir should be available at your local health food store. If you don’t want to make it, this stuff should be just fine.

The reason we promote drinking kefir and greek yogurt is because both contain probiotics, which is the single most important thing you need to get better in the long run. Probiotics are the opposite of antibiotics.

Are you taking probiotics?

-raster

monkey
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 7

Hi Raster,

Thankyou for your reply and clarifications, and for sharing your experiences with coffee.

I am taking a probiotic daily and have been for the last year or so. The type I take is made by Renew Life, called Ultimate Flora Critical care. It has 10 different strands of bacteria and a 50 billion count.Do you know anything about this one?

With regards to the probiotics in yogurt and kefir, I’m a little hesitant to consume these foods because I haven’t eaten dairy in almost 5 years (was a raw foods vegan for 4).

I personally haven’t experienced issues with coffee (that I know as such) and don’t think that I have leaky gut syndrome as my digestion is really quite good. The hardest things to give up are likely those that we most need to avoid, and I know this. I like your idea of slowly phasing it out. Have you found any alternatives that leave you feeling satisfied? I was drinking a product made solely from ground black maca (called Xpresso) which was really good blended with water, coconut oil and a pinch of stevia. What do you think about maca: allowable or no?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Confused about Kefir and wondering about coffee’ is closed to new replies.