Coconut Oil and Avocados…Cholesterol !!

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Coconut Oil and Avocados…Cholesterol !!

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  dvjorge 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

dvjorge
    Participant
    Topics: 283
    Replies: 1368

Hi guys,

I have a problem with Coconut Oil and Avocados and my high cholesterol. There is conflicting information in the web about cholesterol and those items. Some say coconut oil and avocados lower bad cholesterol, but other source say they are bad. Sometimes, the true is hard to find. As you know, there isn’t too much for eat following the anticandida diet. Coconut oil is something I don’t want to stop but I am worried now.

I am sure the high cholesterol is linked to intestinal permeability (leaky gut).
    Before to get sick, I was overweight and my cholesterol was perfect. After taking the antibiotics that caused candida, leaky gut, and intestinal inflammation my cholesterol went high. Otherwise, the anticandida is rich in high cholesterol food, so I am not sure what to do now to keep my still low weight.

If some of you know about the impact of coconut oil and avocados with the high cholesterol, let me know. I really appreciate your experiences.
    Thanks,
    Jorge.

blakek89
    Topics: 21
    Replies: 186

dvjorge wrote: Hi guys,

I have a problem with Coconut Oil and Avocados and my high cholesterol. There is conflicting information in the web about cholesterol and those items. Some say coconut oil and avocados lower bad cholesterol, but other source say they are bad. Sometimes, the true is hard to find. As you know, there isn’t too much for eat following the anticandida diet. Coconut oil is something I don’t want to stop but I am worried now.

I am sure the high cholesterol is linked to intestinal permeability (leaky gut).
    Before to get sick, I was overweight and my cholesterol was perfect. After taking the antibiotics that caused candida, leaky gut, and intestinal inflammation my cholesterol went high. Otherwise, the anticandida is rich in high cholesterol food, so I am not sure what to do now to keep my still low weight.

If some of you know about the impact of coconut oil and avocados with the high cholesterol, let me know. I really appreciate your experiences.
    Thanks,
    Jorge.

Avocados are very rich in Oleic acid aka monounsaturated fats, those fats will not only lower LDL or low-density lipoprotein but raise HDL or high density lipoprotein which is why monounsaturated fatty foods are considered heart healthy. The same goes for a nice steak half of the marbled fat is saturated but the other half is monounsaturated. Coconut Oil will raise HDL and Total Cholesterol or Triglycerides but raising HDL in the process lowers the overall risk of cardio vascular disease. Total cholesterol isn’t as big of an issue as once thought. Now the major issue is LDL levels and the small and large particle types. Large particles in LDL isn’t huge but small particles is really bad because they will literally tear up your arteries because they are so small and jagged.

They may be something else in your diet that is contributing to your cholesterol if not maybe hereditary. You could also take a plant sterol supplement 2g a day will lower it 10-20%

dvjorge
    Participant

Thanks for your answer.

I was drinking almost a liter of Yogurt diary. It is very high in cholesterol. I also was eating too many eggs. I will use only the white to make coconut bread and will eliminate the yolks.
    They are probably the biggest culprit.
    I am taking Omega 3, ALA, Vitamin E and other things that help. Some people say CQ10 lower the cholesterol.
    Niacin also does it but the side effects are nasty. Lipitor, I am avoiding it because liver toxicity. Still, the coconut oil is my biggest concern.
    Jorge.

blakek89
    Topics: 21
    Replies: 186

dvjorge wrote: Thanks for your answer.

I was drinking almost a liter of Yogurt diary. It is very high in cholesterol. I also was eating too many eggs. I will use only the white to make coconut bread and will eliminate the yolks.
    They are probably the biggest culprit.
    I am taking Omega 3, ALA, Vitamin E and other things that help. Some people say CQ10 lower the cholesterol.
    Niacin also does it but the side effects are nasty. Lipitor, I am avoiding it because liver toxicity. Still, the coconut oil is my biggest concern.
    Jorge.

Dietary cholesterol has virtually no effect on blood serum levels. Especially with eggs, all of the nutrients are in the yolk so only using the egg whites is not really benefitting you.

What percentage of dairy yogurt are you drinking non fat is just as likely of a culprit to raise cholesterol as full fat the reason being is that low or no fat has a lot more sugar which causes your body to create more insulin. Carbohydrates are processed by the body and changed to blood glucose. The blood glucose is absorbed into the blood stream and then used for energy, especially in the brain and nervous system. If there is extra blood glucose that is not used for energy, the body converts the glucose into triglycerides. The triglycerides (also known as fat) are then stored in the fatty tissues for a rainy day. Stored triglycerides are what causes weight gain and can increase cholesterol. Saturated Fat on the other can could potentially cause cholesterol issues it has not yet been proven from what I have read, but the idea from saturated fats are that the more saturated fat in the intestines the more cholesterol can be absorbed by the body.

Cholesterol is a very important part of us it is in almost every cell of the body and is required for vitamin d production which is produced by the liver and essential I may point out you must already know, and your brain is full of it so reducing cholesterol in your food won’t make much difference if you reduce it your body will compensate and produce more. Eat a diet rich in fibre will also reduce it. It will reduce by pulling and binding cholesterol to the fibre itself and gets excreted through a bowel movement.

Krill Oil and Astaxanthin(Vitamin A antioxidant Carotenoid Family) will reduce cholesterol and c reactive protein levels in your body, which CRP is a much better indicator of your cardio vascular risk.

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

dvjorge wrote: I will use only the white to make coconut bread and will eliminate the yolks. They are probably the biggest culprit.

I seriously doubt that. It’s been scientific knowledge for years and years that lecithin is a binder which binds fats and water together allowing the oils and fat to be expelled by the body. Since the egg yolk contains so many proteins and fats, the lecithin content in egg yolk is very high. This makes eggs the perfect source of lecithin as well as a food of choice for a cholesterol-lowering diet.

I know that normally you don’t wish to be bothered with the research sources concerning my information, Jorge, but if you wish to see it with this subject, just let me know, I don’t mind posting, but otherwise I won’t bother you with it.

Able

dvjorge
    Participant

The only thing I don’t find clear is why eggs aren’t allowed when people are following a low cholesterol diet.

Able900
    Spectator

dvjorge wrote: The only thing I don’t find clear is why eggs aren’t allowed when people are following a low cholesterol diet.

Because, Jorge, unfortunately as you and I both know, doctors are usually the last person to ask about nutritional information. They don’t actually ‘study’ the diet and nutrition, and in fact, they’re not at all fans of this form of treating any disease.

When I went for my lab work over a week ago, my own doctor told me that I was overdosing if I took more than 1000mg of vitamin C a day and told me that, if I continued, I would soon pay the consequences. If she had any sense of what vitamin C really is, she’d know that this is a water soluble vitamin which means it’s impossible to experience a dangerous overdose.

I didn’t intend to give her a heart attack, so I didn’t bother to tell her that for 15 years I’ve been taking from 1000 mg up to 10, 000 mg a day. I take 10,000 mg anytime I’m exposed to anyone else who is sick, which I assume is one reason that I avoid colds all winter long while everyone else I know, at one time or another, is suffering from the cold or flu. This is just one example of the complete ignorance of vitamins and supplements that our doctors have.

Able

Able900
    Spectator

Jorge, I did some more reading, and according to several sources (studies) the consumption of non-enriched (homemade) kefir plays a beneficial role on lowering cholesterol, but the studies have been inconclusive as far as the effects of commercial enriched kefir beverages. Plus, if the kefir isn’t fermented sufficiently, the result could be the same as drinking lots of milk on a daily basis, which as we know could lead to higher cholesterol numbers.

I think I remember a while back that you were using commercial grade kefir, have you changed over to homemade? If not, it seems this could possibly be at least part of the problem.

Just brainstorming.
    Able

dvjorge
    Participant

Able900 wrote: Jorge, I did some more reading, and according to several sources (studies) the consumption of non-enriched (homemade) kefir plays a beneficial role on lowering cholesterol, but the studies have been inconclusive as far as the effects of commercial enriched kefir beverages. Plus, if the kefir isn’t fermented sufficiently, the result could be the same as drinking lots of milk on a daily basis, which as we know could lead to higher cholesterol numbers.

I think I remember a while back that you were using commercial grade kefir, have you changed over to homemade? If not, it seems this could possibly be at least part of the problem.

Just brainstorming.
    Able

Since some time, I am not drinking any kind of Kefir but only commercial Greek yogurt. What is affecting more of all is the coconut oil that looks like it rises the LDL cholesterol. I didn’t want to stop it.
    Jorge.

orka1998
    Participant
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 673

Did you check your thyroid recently? My mom’s cholesterol went up because her thyroid hormones were to low (or this is what doctor explained to us).

Also, I wanted to add that recently they lowered the scale for the cholesterol levels and there is a lot of dust around it including claims that the pharmaceutical industry is trying to find more people to sell the prescription to. Are your numbers really that high or just slightly elevated?

dvjorge
    Participant

orka1998 wrote: Did you check your thyroid recently? My mom’s cholesterol went up because her thyroid hormones were to low (or this is what doctor explained to us).

Also, I wanted to add that recently they lowered the scale for the cholesterol levels and there is a lot of dust around it including claims that the pharmaceutical industry is trying to find more people to sell the prescription to. Are your numbers really that high or just slightly elevated?

LDL = 207

I have problem with my thyroid but the opposite, my is high. Hyperthyroidism. I have to research to see if I find any link.
    Thanks,
    Jorge.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Coconut Oil and Avocados…Cholesterol !!’ is closed to new replies.