Coconut Flour Bread

Home The Candida Forum Foods & Recipe Ideas Bread Recipes Coconut Flour Bread

This topic contains 65 replies, has 38 voices, and was last updated by  AKR 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 66 total)
  • Author

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Several recipes for Coconut Bread are shown on the internet.

Recipe 1
    Ingredients

• 3/4 cup coconut flour
    • 1/2 cup ghee or olive oil (plus extra for greasing the pan)
    • 6 eggs
    • 1/2 tsp unrefined sea salt
    • Baking powder (optional)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
    Combine coconut flour, ghee, eggs, and 1/2 teaspoon unrefined sea salt.

Mix all the ingredients together until they form a smooth paste with no clumps.
    Grease a loaf pan.
    Spoon the mixture into the loaf pan, and bake in an oven preheated to 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 40 minutes.

Recipe 2
    Ingredients

¾ cup sifted Organic Coconut Flour
    ½ cup Organic Virgin Coconut Oil or ghee, melted
    6 eggs
    ½ teaspoon sea salt
    1 teaspoon baking powder

Blend together eggs, ghee, and salt. Combine coconut flour with baking powder and whisk thoroughly into batter until there are no lumps. Pour into greased 9x5x3 inch or smaller loaf pan and bake at 175C (350F) for 40 minutes. Remove from pan and cool on rack.

Recipe 3
    Ingredients

• 6 eggs
    • 1/2 cup melted coconut oil or ghee
    • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
    • 3/4 cup coconut flour

Mix all ingredients together and pour into a small buttered loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Turn the loaf out and cool completely on a rack before serving.

As you can see from the recipes above, nearly all coconut flour bread recipes are, well, basically the same. Since I like a really large and dense loaf of bread, and since I like for it to have lots of health benefits, I prefer to use a prebiotic mixed with the coconut flour, so I use Bob’s Red Mill Oat Bran for the prebiotics along with coconut flour. Using oat bran and rice bran flour would make a perfect prebiotic bread for the diet.

Below is the recipe I use, but you can substitute rice bran flour for either of the other two. Using all three is also acceptable. Certain substances may require more liquid such as oil, sugar-free coconut milk, or oil. You want the consisency to be fairly thick but not extremely so.

Ingredients

8 or 9 organic eggs
    1/2 cup of olive oil
    1 ½ teaspoon Rumford Aluminum-Free Baking Powder or Bob’s Red Mill Baking Powder.
    3/4 teaspoon Celtic or Himalayan Sea Salt
    Bob’s Red Mill Oat Bran and/or Bob’s Red Mill coconut flour; making a total of 2 cups (add more or less flour/bran if the mixture is too thin or too thick).

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk or stir all ingredients together or blend in a food processor until lumps are gone and the mixture is uniform. Grease a glass loaf pan with olive oil and pour batter. Bake for 48 to 50 minutes depending on your oven.

Keep in mind that, as with most recipes, you may have to experiment with the amounts in order for the texture of the mix to be the way you wish it to be. Personally, I like for the mixture to be a little moist instead of dry. You can also use different types of oil such as coconut oil, olive oil, ghee, or a mixture of any of the three. And you can always change a recipe to your liking such as adding various herbs to the mixture which is something I normally do, or adding more or less oil, eggs, or oat bran/coconut flour.

POUND CAKE
    You can also add Stevia and different flavors to this mixture such as lemon or vanilla for a pound cake, or you can add Stevia along with coconut flakes and make a coconut pound cake. When I do this, I use only the coconut flour and add a little less oil. I then use coconut milk instead of as much oil to make a moister mix. I leave the salt out when making a pound cake with the recipe.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

One alteration to this bread:

Turn that bread into lemon-coconut bread; add some stevia, lemon zest, and lemon juice (not technically allowed but in neutral territory). My leaky gut was so bad I used to have reaction to this bread, but now I don’t. Lemon juice technically isn’t apart of the diet but its better than other ingredients.

sage
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 13

Good idea! I thought lemon juice was ok for the diet?? Always have lemon slices in my water and use the juice for dressings. I have been a little over whelmed with all the info, so I will review my photocopied sheets! LOL.

Found a Health food store that sold Coconut Flour, Molybdenum & the “pink” salt today. I was thrilled!!

Able900
    Spectator

sage wrote: I thought lemon juice was ok for the diet?

Lemon juice is perfect for the Candida diet and is definitely allowed.

It helps to relieve symptoms indigestion, as well as heartburn and bloating.

Flushes out toxins and bad bacteria and acts as a blood purifier and cleanser.

It makes a perfect liver tonic by encouraging the liver to produce additional bile which aids digestion.

Drinking it regularly aids in the elimination of waste and helps to cure digestion and constipation.

It contains high amounts of vitamin C.

Good for curing urinary tract infections.

Lemon contains natural antiseptic agents.

There’s no reason not to drink pure lemon water throughout the Candida treatment.

Able

Gerri
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 1

I am new here…….Candida Expert Please Help me :o(

Although enjoying the forum and the website it is awesome…….OMGoodness all this good information is overwhelming! Suddenly I was attacked by this thing. Three weeks ago my doctor diagnosed me as having a bad case of bacterial vaginosis (BV) ??????? It has been a nightmare. I was given a 7 day regimen of suppositories, diflucan, terazol 3 vaginal cream, ketoconazole cream. Outside of other areas of my body I have an itchy rash on my neck and underneath my breast along with broken skin from the blisters, etc.

Since I finished my prescriptions things did not seem to have completely cleared up so I went to the health food store and brought some vaginal suppositories and probiotics to continue trying to clear it up. In addition, I have definitely changed what I eat, drinking lots of water, green tea etc. I’m doing a lot better, but still feeling yucky due to the lingering condition.

I want to get this stuff out of my system for once and for all. But I am not sure where to start. I would very much appreciate any start up guidance you can provide? Also would you recommend doing a sauna to start.

Gerri :o(

pixyshark
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 4

I was wondering if this recipe was okay to have during stage 1 of the diet. When I looked at the ingredients in the aluminum free baking powder I have (Rumford) it listed corn starch. Since I know corn is a ‘no-no’ would that mean that I should look for a different kind of baking powder that doesn’t have corn starch in it?

Thanks!

Carb voyeur
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 15

Is the coconut bread ok for stage 1? I can hold off a bit longer (I’ve just discovered quinoa. Yum), but I wouldn’t say no to a teensy tiny slice of bread.

Able900
    Spectator

Carb voyeur wrote: Is the coconut bread ok for stage 1? I can hold off a bit longer (I’ve just discovered quinoa. Yum), but I wouldn’t say no to a teensy tiny slice of bread.

Actually you’d be better off eating the coconut bread in stage one than quinoa.

Able

Carb voyeur
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 15

Ah. Delightful. I’ll go get some coconut flour then.

TK1331
    Replies: 1

I am allergic to eggs… any advice on how I can still make this bread with an allowed substitute?

Also – I’m concerned about how I am going to get enough protein on this diet, espcially since I read in the posts that chicken/fish should only be eaten 3-4 times per week.

Any advice is appreciated!

Able900
    Spectator

TK1331 wrote: I am allergic to eggs… any advice on how I can still make this bread with an allowed substitute? Also – I’m concerned about how I am going to get enough protein on this diet, espcially since I read in the posts that chicken/fish should only be eaten 3-4 times per week. Any advice is appreciated!

Hello, welcome to the forum.

Since you can’t eat eggs, you’ll just have to get your daily proteins from chicken and fish; of course organic chicken would be the better choice. In addition, the proteins in kefir are complete proteins and are already partially digested so they’re more easily broken down and utilized by the body. There are 14 grams of protein on one cup of kefir; this is a little more than the amount in one hamburger patty.

As far as what you can use in place of eggs in the coconut bread recipe is concerned, you probably already know that there are egg substitutes available in supermarkets. The problem is, generally the less number of fewer eggs needed in a recipe, the easier it will be to use a substitute. If a recipe calls for one egg, an egg substitute would work better than a recipe requiring three or more eggs. Of course, the coconut bread recipe calls for six eggs.
    Ener-G Egg Replacer is one brand of egg substitutes.

Able

Tuula
    Replies: 10

TK1331 wrote: I am allergic to eggs… any advice on how I can still make this bread with an allowed substitute?

Here is a recipe to make an egg substitute yourself from flaxseeds:

Makes 2 Cups of egg substitute – equal to 8 eggs:
    1/2 C flaxseeds – grind to fine powder in food processor
    1 1/2 C water – add to ground flaxseed by whisking until well combined

Let sit for 10 minutes ( keeps up to 3 days in refrigerator )

1/4 Cup of this flaxseed egg substitute is equivalent to one egg.

I haven’t tried this coconut bread with this egg substitute but if you do, let us know how it turned out!

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Another suggestion: Make a double batch and use 1/3 coconut flour, 1/3 buckwheat flour, 1/3 almond meal, 12 eggs, baking soda, and salt! Comes out very grainy tasting, this is what I eat now. Almost 1/3 of each flour, but not quite 1/3 almond flour.

Add coconut butter/oil to the bread afterwards and it tastes so goood! Takes a little longer to cook a double batch; maybe 55 min at 350 degrees F.

theresa49638
    Topics: 16
    Replies: 27

Since I am just allergic to the egg white can I just use the yokes in this recipe.

Able900
    Spectator

theresa49638 wrote: Since I am just allergic to the egg white can I just use the yokes in this recipe.

Hi, Theresa. There’s no reason you can’t try that. You may want to add a few extra to make up for the egg whites left out.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Coconut Flour Bread’ is closed to new replies.