Cheese

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Javizy 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

M
    Topics: 72
    Replies: 253

I know cheese is not allowed on the diet, but if one were to eat a little, which would be the least harmful?

Would fresh mozzarella di bufala or mascarpone be better than more mature cheeses?

Thanks.

Clare_
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 134

You could make kefir cheese.

If you google ‘kefir paneer’, you can find recipes for it.

princeofsin
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 224

You can consume cottage cheese, Colby, Monterey Jack, mozzarella, provolone and Swiss which are safe against candida. However don’t go overboard.

M

Thanks for that. It’s just that I might try a little mozzarella this summer when I go home.

dvjorge
    Participant
    Topics: 283
    Replies: 1369

M wrote: Thanks for that. It’s just that I might try a little mozzarella this summer when I go home.

Try to find a Lactose Free cheese if you don’t react to mold, casein, and lactose.

Jorge.

princeofsin
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 224

dvjorge wrote:

Thanks for that. It’s just that I might try a little mozzarella this summer when I go home.

Try to find a Lactose Free cheese if you don’t react to mold, casein, and lactose.

Jorge.

100% agree. Look at your local health food store such as whole foods or check amazon for it.

M

Not sure if I’ll be able to find lactose-free cheese, but I’ll have a look. Which cheeses don’t contain mold? I’d imagine aged cheeses such as parmesan would be somewhat moldy…

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

princeofsin wrote: You can consume cottage cheese, Colby, Monterey Jack, mozzarella, provolone and Swiss which are safe against candida. However don’t go overboard.

Prince, would you mind sharing where you obtained that particular information?

Able

Javizy
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 945

M wrote: Not sure if I’ll be able to find lactose-free cheese, but I’ll have a look. Which cheeses don’t contain mold? I’d imagine aged cheeses such as parmesan would be somewhat moldy…

It’s only aged cheeses, e.g. brie, that have fungi added to them. White cheeses that aren’t processed much like mozzarella, mascarpone, cottage cheese etc should be free of moulds, but generally contain more lactose. Some like mozzarella and paneer are often less than 1% though. The high levels of casein would probably be more of a worry for people with dodgy guts.

Moulds are interesting, because fungi are a diverse category of microbes. I’d imagine different cheeses have different strains that would need to be considered individually. The strains in kefir can be beneficial, as can S. boulardii, so maybe there’s a probiotic cheese strain out there too?

Parmesan doesn’t have yeast added as part of the production process, but I don’t know if they develop during ripening. These studies say they’re high in probiotic bacteria (lactobacillus) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22626626
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18524408

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Cheese’ is closed to new replies.