Changing tastes

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Changing tastes

This topic contains 11 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  msmofish 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

alexalgebra
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 643

I noticed something odd the other day and wondered if anyone else has gone through this. (This is mostly aimed at folks that have been on the strict diet for at least a few weeks or longer.)

The other night, I was grocery shopping and had a cart full of veggies. I literally COULD NOT WAIT to get home and cook myself up a big pan of brussels sprouts and zucchini. Waiting for them to cook just had my mouth watering, LOL. As the minutes slowly passed by while they were cooking, I realized how if you would have told me six months ago that I would be going cuckoo for sprouts and zucchini, I would have asked you if you were high! I never liked either of those veggies in the past.

I got to thinking more and realized that I now crave a ton of things I actively disliked before (and I have never been the type to turn my nose up at all veggies…my fave foods as a kid were broccoli and spinach, no lie). Things like the aforementioned zucchini and brussels sprouts, ginger, black pepper, green onions, celery, and radishes were all on my “ew” list, and now I eat those things nearly daily.

Pretty cool! Now if only I would have the opposite happen for all of those foods I can’t have but still think I want…how nice would it be if the thought of chocolate made me want to vomit? Ha ha.

Anyway, has anyone else had this happen where your tastes have done a total 180? Not just that you learned to tolerate something, but that you actually crave it?

shell1226
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 71

Absolutely! I started eating a healthy vegetarian diet years ago. When I switched to green smoothies with all veggies and no fruit, it was hard to get down. Now, I crave it and have one daily.

I also now crave things like kale and collards. OMG….I can’t live without them!!

Rachelle

mrs.candida
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 452

Umm Alex, I would appreciate it if you would stop bragging about your beautiful brussels sprouts! You are living in one of the best cities in the world for gorgeous local organic produce it’s on par with Paris.
    Every time I go to the organic market here everything is wilted and soft, it’s the stuff you would get for free by the dumpster at New Seasons. Also there’s no variety, the Dutch like to keep things simple. I couldn’t figure out why every organic onion I buy has one moldy ring inside, a friend just informed me that they are all previously frozen.

Anyway, I have dreams of the Portland Farmers Market, & New Seasons, and maybe even Whole Foods at this point.

serenedream
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 84

ABSOLUTELY! I despised eggs prior to figuring out I had candida overgrowth. Never ate them a day in my life and I am 25 years old… now the one meal I covet (and eat daily) is my scrambled well organic eggs — or omelets — in coconut or olive oil with broccoli, onions, peppers, and spinach. It’s my favorite meal!

Crazy!

shayfo
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 668

I’ve always loved vegetables, but I feel I have a whole new appreciation for them. When I wake up in the morning, I’m all jazzed to eat a salad or steamed broccoli.

And spices! Seriously, the second week of the cleanse, I was refilling my pepper-grinder, and I remember thinking “MY GOD, THE SUBTLE FLORAL AROMAS AND SPICY NUANCES OF THESE PEPPERCORNS!” Hahahah. Maybe we can be pepper snobs instead of coffee snobs in the future.

lmm
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 138

shayfo;38393 wrote: I’ve always loved vegetables, but I feel I have a whole new appreciation for them. When I wake up in the morning, I’m all jazzed to eat a salad or steamed broccoli.

And spices! Seriously, the second week of the cleanse, I was refilling my pepper-grinder, and I remember thinking “MY GOD, THE SUBTLE FLORAL AROMAS AND SPICY NUANCES OF THESE PEPPERCORNS!” Hahahah. Maybe we can be pepper snobs instead of coffee snobs in the future.

Haha. I would go as far as to say I love greens, but there is one meal I have every other day for dinner (swede, scrambled eggs, cauliflower, spinach, turmeric and cumin) which I sometimes remember during the day and get a little euphoric rush!

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Hello alex,

One thing you will also notice as you get better is your taste buds actually completely get altered. The way food tastes just becomes different, and I believe its related to how candida gets you to crave foods, coats your tongue, etc.

-raster

alexalgebra

Sorry Mrs. C!! I wish I could ship you some veggies <3 Although honestly,a big portion of what I get *is* the wilted cast-offs from New Seasons and whatnot…I "shop" from the Food Not Bombs free food porch a couple times a week because I can't afford to go buy everything organic from the store, nor can I afford organic Brussels sprouts ($8.99lb vs $1.49 lb!)

I just want transporters so we can zap each other stuff around the world in like 10 seconds! Then I can get shayfo to send me a freakin’ case of California avocados instead of the nasty Mexican ones we have here :p I got so spoiled when I was in socal the other week.

shayfo – Yes! Pepper snobs! I am so down for this. I already am a little bit of one, but I could totally expand on that. There’s an olive oil snob store in town as well, with like 02495802943 different kinds of olive oil. Not sure if it’s organic or not though…might not be uppity enough for my refined palate.

I’m excited to see I’m not the only one craving healthier and new foods now! I’m also excited for this to keep developing as my tongue gets less coated. It makes sense that the candida would do that to get fed more crap foods…and crap foods are engineered to make you addicted to them, so lots of factors against you :p

shayfo
    Replies: 668

I’m becoming an olive oil snob, too. I was talking shit on Newman’s Own the other day :p

mrs.candida
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 452

Oh Yeah! I’ll take a case of California Avocados. I’d also like some broccoli rabe, and some Kale that’s not pre shredded, so I can make kale chips!

alexalgebra

mrs.candida;38491 wrote: Oh Yeah! I’ll take a case of California Avocados. I’d also like some broccoli rabe, and some Kale that’s not pre shredded, so I can make kale chips!

You can’t get kale that’s not shredded? 🙁 I’m so sorry for your loss, I didn’t realize it was so bad. *tries to shove some kale into a fax machine to fax it to you*

msmofish
    Replies: 96

Me too ! I used to hate sauerkraut & kefir now I crave it.

I wish I still didn’t crave caffeine & honey. Still having a hard time with no morning tea w cream or the great green oolong tea I adore. And I own 3 different types of expensive great honey with all the perfect descriptions – raw, unfiltered blah blah blah.

I digress yes I too was super surprised & delighted that I’m enjoying the foods that made me wince !

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Changing tastes’ is closed to new replies.