CFU/ml of Kefir

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions CFU/ml of Kefir

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  kirstyk4 7 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

ICanDad
    Topics: 7
    Replies: 19

While waiting for my kefir grains to arrive, I am digging information about kefir.

The first question I want to find is how many colony-forming unit (CFU) in kefir?

Googling for a while, I found a wide range of answers, ranging from 10 Billion to 1 Billion of CFU/ml, but I am not sure how creditable these info are.

A glass of 250ml kefir will have 2.5 trillion to 250 billion of probiotics?? I am not too convinced.

I then finally found a research paper, which I think is more creditable and quite interesting.

http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2004.04.021

The result shows after 24 hours of fermentation, the number of lactobacilli and lactococc are in the order of 1E8 respectively. The author claims these findings agree with 5 other sources.

If I am only looking at lactobacilli, it means a 250ml glass of kefir still contains 25 billions, which is not too bad.

The author further investigate the effect of storage. They store the kefir at 5 degree for up to 28 days. And the finding shows the CFU starts dropping off from 7 to 14 days, from 1E8 to ~1E6.

Conclusion:
    If you make your kefir fresh, each glass contains roughly 25 billion of good bacteria. If you want to put them in the fridge, you should consume them within 7 days, or the number of probiotics will decrease by 100 times.

kirstyk4
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 125

Thanks for the great info!!

I too just started making kefir with grains. Many of the websites I visited said that you could store your “grown” kefir for weeks in the fidge before it would go bad. I doubt I will ever be storing it that long. Any extra help we can get I am all for trying. 🙂

Kirsty

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘CFU/ml of Kefir’ is closed to new replies.