Candida diet & menstrual cycle

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Candida diet & menstrual cycle

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Latka 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

PrahaNicole
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 0

Has anyone else noticed any changes in their mentrual cycles as a result of this diet? I just started this diet & my periods have been more painful than usual!

Javizy
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 945

A number of women report hormonal upsets on various low-carb diets including Atkins, GAPS and paleo. I’d pay close attention to changes and try to listen to your body. Salt cravings, hypoglycaemia, low temperature, anxiety etc give you some idea what your diet is lacking. Everyone’s experience is slightly different so try to remain alert and maintain flexibility.

BlueSkies
    Participant
    Replies: 73

I’ve noted interruption of my cycle before. When the Candidiasis was raging in full force in my system, my periods were few and far apart. Candida love to thrive on many things and estrogen is one of them.

You are going to notice that when you change your diet, add more vitamins, and especially when you add the anti-fungals, your cycle will change. Your body needs time to adjust.

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

PrahaNicole wrote: Has anyone else noticed any changes in their mentrual cycles as a result of this diet? I just started this diet & my periods have been more painful than usual!

The majority of the women who have been on the forum in the past have talked about this happening.
    Irregular menstrual cycles, menstrual cycles stopping, or unusual menstrual pain are normal for women with a Candida overgrowth. Usually this is about a hormonal imbalance caused by the production a false form of estrogen when a Candida overgrowth is present. You can imagine what a false hormone in the body might do to various bodily functions.

Specific hormone activities and symptoms of imbalance can take time to become normal again. By the way, almost everyone with a Candida infestation at one time or another will experience a low functioning immune system; and a weak immune system can also throw your hormonal balance off.

Able

Latka
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 128

Here’s what I don’t get: if candida overgrowth causes menstrual irregularities then how come I never experienced this before starting the diet? I mean if it is caused by the actual overgrowth then I would have had problems before as well. But no. I lost my period completely while on this diet and I believe it is because I went too low carb.

janemary
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 2

omg messed up cycles are a pain! anyway comet 90 diet seems to be working for me

Javizy

Latka wrote: Here’s what I don’t get: if candida overgrowth causes menstrual irregularities then how come I never experienced this before starting the diet? I mean if it is caused by the actual overgrowth then I would have had problems before as well. But no. I lost my period completely while on this diet and I believe it is because I went too low carb.

I think it’s better to say “candida can cause…” Whether or not certain things, like the oestrogens Able mentioned, affect someone will probably depend on the level of exposure, gut integrity, stress and the balance of other hormones etc. Some unhealthy people already have high oestrogen levels from stress, so candida toxins could send them over the edge. Some foods can prevent oestrogen from being absorbed in the gut (raw carrot is one, according to Peat) or contain high levels of phytoestrogens (soy, legumes etc), so there are a lot of factors involved.

When symptoms appear on the diet that there was no hint of before, I’d have to assume the diet was playing a major role though. Die-off toxins could be the thing that pushes something over the edge and creates a new symptom, but it’s worth considering other explanations too. The idea of die-off seems to trap some people into believing they have candida when they don’t. Nutrients have the ability to affect hormone levels, as does how much and even how often or what time you eat. Sudden changes have their own repercussions too. I wouldn’t take anything for granted.

Latka

I was able to get my period back when I started eating more carbs (and when I got my temperature “up” to 35 celcius), so I definetely see a link with the diet. But I know that in my case the hypothyroidism already complicates things a lot. I just think that doing such a restricted diet for someone like me was a really bad idea. I guess I had to experience it to learn from it.

I am only now learning to not take anything for granted. Trying to learn more about the different nutrients but also experimenting a bit how the body responds.

However, I have for long now suspected that high estrogen levels might be the problem for me. I realise that these hormonal issues are complex but are there some foods that I could favour over others to try and lower estrogen (and raise progesterone)? I have tried to find answers reading Ray Peat but so far I’ve only come across him writing about progesterone supplementation (not an option at the moment). I’m guessing omega 3’s would be important in terms of lowering inflammation. Any ideas, Javizy?

mrs.candida
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 452

I would like to chime in and agree with PrahaNicole. I think there’s something about the diet itself that is making my periods dreadful. I’m mostly having trouble with raging PMS, bloating and headaches. I was on a low carb diet before starting the Candida diet and my cycles weren’t as bad. It has me wondering if there’s something that the antifungals are doing.

I would love to hear if anyone has found anything to relieve the symptoms. I have a damp and water dispersing chinese herb formula that I’m going to try this month. Also dry brushing has helped a lot with my swelling.

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

mrs.candida wrote: I would like to chime in and agree with PrahaNicole. I think there’s something about the diet itself that is making my periods dreadful. I’m mostly having trouble with raging PMS, bloating and headaches. I was on a low carb diet before starting the Candida diet and my cycles weren’t as bad. It has me wondering if there’s something that the antifungals are doing.
    I would love to hear if anyone has found anything to relieve the symptoms. I have a damp and water dispersing chinese herb formula that I’m going to try this month. Also dry brushing has helped a lot with my swelling.

In addition to the reasons that javizy has give; if the problems started ‘after’ you begin the diet, then the problem is likely caused by aldehyde, the toxin that is released by the living and dying Candida. You already have these toxins in your body when you start the diet, but adding those from dying Candida can double the amount in your body. These aldehyde toxins can play havoc with normal bodily functions; this would of course include a menstrual cycle and all of the aspects of it which would include menstrual pain.

These are some of the reasons that lessening the amount of toxins is emphasized so strongly on the forum. Are you using all of the means possible to lower the amount of toxins being released on a daily basis? This means using as many of the methods possible that are named on the links below.

Die-Off Symptoms & Molybdenum

Die-off without Molybdenum

Are you keeping the toxins moving out of your body every day with water, saunas and hot tub soaks, and are you avoiding constipation above everything? If you’re experiencing even mild die-off symptoms, you may need to lower the amount of antifungals or even remove them all and simply remain on the diet for a while.

Able

Javizy

Latka wrote: I was able to get my period back when I started eating more carbs (and when I got my temperature “up” to 35 celcius), so I definetely see a link with the diet. But I know that in my case the hypothyroidism already complicates things a lot. I just think that doing such a restricted diet for someone like me was a really bad idea. I guess I had to experience it to learn from it.

I am only now learning to not take anything for granted. Trying to learn more about the different nutrients but also experimenting a bit how the body responds.

However, I have for long now suspected that high estrogen levels might be the problem for me. I realise that these hormonal issues are complex but are there some foods that I could favour over others to try and lower estrogen (and raise progesterone)? I have tried to find answers reading Ray Peat but so far I’ve only come across him writing about progesterone supplementation (not an option at the moment). I’m guessing omega 3’s would be important in terms of lowering inflammation. Any ideas, Javizy?

I’m a total noob to hormones and I haven’t read much of Peat’s site. Danny Roddy’s weblog is a great resource for helping to decipher Peat’s work. Here’s a couple of posts on oestrogen as it relates to lactose intolerance and Hashimoto’s. A lot of the posts on there are worth reading if you find Peat’s insights interesting. I haven’t seen anyone else who talks about nutrition from an endocrinological perspective, and it resonates with me given my history of stress.

Latka

Thanks for the links Javizy. Some help in deciphering Peat’s work is certainly needed. These articles seem particularly interesting given that I have Hashimotos and I seem to have some kind of dairy intolerance. Though having read Peat and others before I have been playing with the thought of consuming small amounts of dairy just to introduce it again, and hopefully one day tolerate it just fine.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Candida diet & menstrual cycle’ is closed to new replies.