Candida Albicans Biofilms

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Candida Albicans Biofilms

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  loopylou 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

dvjorge
    Participant
    Topics: 283
    Replies: 1368

Hi all,

For those of you who thinks candida albicans biofilms are implicated in an active intestinal infection I have some recommendations.

Fish Oil, Apo-Lactoferrin, EDTA, Carvacrol ( Oil of Oregano ) and Cis-2 decenoic acid.

I have read scientific papers mentioning the activity of all of them against candida albicans biofilms.

Jorge.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

If I recall, you had fermented food items listed on the previous biofilm post as well as digestive enzymes. Fatty acids were also mentioned. I have found all 3 of these to be effective.

-raster

klips32
    Participant
    Topics: 65
    Replies: 183

What do you guys think about oil of oregano in general? For my, it’s one of the worst things i’ve taking on this diet, killed a lot of bacteria and had to deal with quite an aggressive yeast when I took it. Kinda like raw garlic.

dvjorge
    Participant
    Topics: 283
    Replies: 1368

In vitro activity of terpenes against Candida biofilms.
    Dalleau S, Cateau E, Bergès T, Berjeaud JM, Imbert C.
    Source
    UMR 6008, Université de Poitiers, CNRS, 6 rue de la Milètrie, BP 199, 86034 Poitiers Cedex, France.
    Abstract
    The antibiofilm activity of 10 terpenes was tested in vitro against three Candida species by 24-h treatment of biofilms aged 1-5 days. Treatment of 24-h-old Candida albicans biofilms with carvacrol, geraniol or thymol (0.06%) resulted in >80% inhibition. Carvacrol (0.03%) inhibition was > or =75% independent of the age of the C. albicans biofilm. Carvacrol (0.125%) inhibition was >75% against Candida glabrata and Candida parapsilosis biofilms. Geraniol (> or =0.125%) and thymol (0.06% or 0.125%) inhibition was >75% against C. parapsilosis biofilms whatever their age. This study demonstrates the antibiofilm activity of terpenes and points out the exceptional efficiency of carvacrol, geraniol and thymol, which could represent candidates in the treatment of candidiasis associated with medical devices.

See this fragment :

Terpenoid phenols have been shown to be efficacious not only on planktonic cells but also on biofilms of Candida albicans that are resistant to many antifungal drugs. Carvacrol demonstrated the strongest antifungal activity against Candida albicans biofilms, with a MIC of <0.03% (9). Furthermore, carvacrol was shown to be effective regardless of the maturity of the biofilm. The terpenoid phenols tested were able to inhibit biofilms of several strains of Candida, including C. albicans, C. glabrata, and C. parapsilosis.

Mycopathologia. 2007 Dec;164(6):301-6. Epub 2007 Oct 2.
    Inhibition on Candida albicans biofilm formation using divalent cation chelators (EDTA).
    Ramage G, Wickes BL, López-Ribot JL.
    Source
    Section of Infection and Immunity, Glasgow Dental School and Hospital, The University of Glasgow, Glasgow, UK.
    Abstract
    Candida albicans can readily form biofilms on both inanimate and biological surfaces. In this study we investigated a means of inhibiting biofilm formation using EDTA (Ethylenediaminetetra-acetic acid), a divalent cation chelating agent, which has been shown to affect C. albicans filamentation. Candida albicans biofilms were formed in 96-well microtitre plates. Cells were allowed to adhere for 1, 2, and 4 h at 37 degrees C, washed in PBS, and then treated with different concentrations of EDTA (0, 2.5, 25, and 250 mM). EDTA was also added to the standardized suspension prior to adding to the microtiter plate and to a preformed 24 h biofilm. All plates were then incubated at 37 degrees C for an additional 24 h to allow for biofilm formation. The extent and characteristics of biofilm formation were then microscopically assessed and with a semi-quantitative colorimetric technique based on the use of an XTT-reduction assay. Northern blot analysis of the hyphal wall protein (HWP1) expression was also monitored in planktonic and biofilm cells treated with EDTA. Microscopic analysis and colorimetric readings revealed that filamentation and biofilm formation were inhibited by EDTA in a concentration dependent manner. However, preformed biofilms were minimally affected by EDTA (maximum of 31% reduction at 250 mM). The HWP1 gene expression was reduced in EDTA-treated planktonic and biofilm samples. These results indicate that EDTA inhibits C. albicans biofilm formation are most likely through its inhibitory effect on filamentation and indicates the potential therapeutic effects of EDTA. This compound may serve a non-toxic means of preventing biofilm formation on infections with a C. albicans biofilm etiology.

loopylou
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 1

Hi im new on this forum, can some one PLEASE help me , i have systemic candida …feel like im dying i have to many symptoms to mention , i really need some advice from you guys, ie diet ect ect Thanks leane x x x

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Candida Albicans Biofilms’ is closed to new replies.