Can a mother pass candida onto her kid during pregnancy/breastfeeding?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Can a mother pass candida onto her kid during pregnancy/breastfeeding?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  orka1998 7 years ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

orka1998
    Participant
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 673

This question is torturing me for a while now and I’ve seen few mentions of forum members that they passed candida onto their kids. I had my twin girls by c-section but I did breastfeed for 6 months. I’ve been watching my kids and trying to figure out if the might have it or not and I don’t see much. They are mostly healthy.

About two months ago one of my girls was throwing up and had fever, and since it didn’t go away in 3 days I took her to the doctor (usually I avoid this if I can and turn to natural stuff so this was the first non-vaccine visit). The doctor didn’t really seem to know what’s wrong and thought the throat is infected, even though I’m not sure she was able to see it well on a screaming child (my daughter can’t stand seeing a doctor), and gave her antibiotics. She was also anemic so she gave her an iron syrup to take after antibiotic. I didn’t feel right giving her antibiotic, but hey I’m not doctor and didn’t want to risk so I gave her what was prescribed.

The other daughter never had any antibiotics. I did take antibiotics for urinary tract infection while pregnant and twice more while breastfeeding for breast infections (now come to think of it, I bet that was candida as well but…) so even though doctors convinced me that amoxicillin is safe I am guessing they got their dose as well.

When they were babies and ready to eat solids, they didn’t take well to meat, so I did my research and they ate many of the alternative grains and other sources of protein/iron. They ate most of stuff we eat on this diet plus fruit.

They will turn 3 next month so now they do eat meat, and a lot of cheese, milk, grains as they do need it all for their development. I don’t do much of sweets for them, I trick them with fruit instead and they think dried fruit is such a treat. I know dried fruit has a lot of sugar but I figured better dried fruit than chocolate (which they do get from grandparents sometimes). Also, since I drink kefir every evening dinner time, they want it as well so they get their cup of that instead of sugary fruit yoghurt (oh how happy I am now).

I don’t know how to be able to tell if they have candida overgrowth. They didn’t really have any diaper rashes, they had few viral fevers, some sore throats and similar, they do have BM daily, but one of them has it as a hard little balls so this usually points to constipation I think. But they eat whole grains with milk for breakfast, veggie/meat combo for lunch and dinner varies between eggs, fresh veggies (cucumber, tomato, pepper, spring onions) with cheese and either whole wheat/rye/regular bread, or sometimes they will have what I have for dinner which is veggies/eggs or veggies/meat or fish. I do give them honey daily for immunity boost and they have at least two different fruits daily, one of them apple which they love. They now mostly drink water or tea with lemon and honey or just tea with honey.

Now, in the past, before I figured out that I have candida (2 months ago) I was making fruit/vegetable juices daily and everyone in the house drank a glass of that. Sometimes they would be veggie/fruit combination (red cabbage and fennel or broccoli or carrot with apples and lemon or oranges or pomegranate), and sometimes just fruit. One of my girls doesn’t like sour so I would put sugar in their juice with lots of citrus so they would drink it. I know most of you cringe right now, but I had no knowledge I have today and figure better some sugar and juice packed with vitamins than none at all.

So I am taking a following poll:
    1. Do you think it’s possible to pass candida to the baby in womb or breastfeeding?
    2. Do you think they could have it?
    3. What can I do to minimize the danger for them and still keep the healthy nutrition they need?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Arijana

orka1998
    Participant

Bump

Hy
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 59

Speaking from my own experience, yes. I’m almost positive that’s how my yeast overgrowth started. My youngest and I passed thrush back and forth for a good two months during nursing before I thought it was gone. HE had nystatin and genitan violet. I just had the gentian violet. I *think* the nystatin worked to eliminate any overgrowth from his body, but it’s so hard to tell with little ones because they do not vocalize what they feel very well and you don’t always know how they are feeling.

I, too, constantly monitor my youngest for symptoms of yeast overgrowth. He absolutely loves the foods that feed yeast, so I often am left wondering if that’s just his normal preference for food as a two year old or if he really does have a small overgrowth still. I’ve already begun reformatting his diet, but it’s hard because he’s only two, he’s stubborn and he only wants to eat what he wants to eat. I sympathize!! It is so hard to try and figure out what’s going on inside the body of a small child!

I’ll be praying you figure it out! I know there are some blood tests that can be run to check and see if there are elevated levels of something that respond to yeast overgrowth, but I have done very little research into this yet.

orka1998
    Participant

Thanks Hy for your response.

One of my twins eats anything, she is bigger, stronger, and eats her food plus half of the food off my plate. She eats raw or cooked veggies, meat, anything you put in her mouth she will eat and she is always in mood for food. The little one (2 minutes older but smaller) is a picky eater. If it’s sweet she will chew it for hour if she has to, but if it’s something else, she will not chew or swallow. I have trouble with her eating since she was baby. She would not nurse so I had to pump because of her, otherwise only one would be getting my milk. But then even the bottle was way to much trouble for her and she would wait for it to drip in her mouth as sucking was to much work for her. It has been a struggle for almost three years. I am persistent and use any trick I can think of to make her eat healthy food. Her immune system is weaker and she gets colds or fevers more than her sister, she was also anemic even though I do force her to eat well. She is the one that is slightly constipated.

You know yourself, it’s one thing for you to have it but fear that your kid has it is something completely else. I’m pretty sure they both might have the problem, but since Ella’s immune system is much stronger, she may not suffer from it, or not in the same way.

How are you changing your kid’s diet? I did cut sweets and keep them to the minimum, but am worried cutting grains or milk because they do need it for the development.

I will see if I have a test available here. If yes, I might take them with me and get all three of us tested. I was trying to tell my ex that he probably has this problem as well, but he will never change his habits and I don’t think he believes me anyway. I have a feeling we are candida family hahahaha

Arijana

Chilli
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 28

Apparently I had a thrush infection in my mouth at a few days old. My mum was pretty ill (hemorrhaged and almost died) so i was in the hospital for quite some time, to be with her. I was breastfed, but apparently I was given a few bottles in the hospital aswell, and this is where my mum things i got the oral thrush from. She believes she has never had a yeast infection of any kind. I can’t see how I could have caught it off a bottle, but I am no expert. I have had candida problems most of my life though.

My children were both born naturally and both breast fed until over 1 year. Unfortunately for them they have both been on antibiotics quite a bit, mostly due to ear infections, and for one of them pneumonia. They also, at 3years old and 15 months, contracted campylobacter food poisoning 🙁 which really upset their tummies for a long time.

Every time, however, I have dosed them up on probiotic powder, during their illnesses, whilst they were on antibiotics and for a good few weeks after.
    I also make sure they eat probiotic yoghurt daily. I would love to get into making kefir and getting them to have some.

Anyway, despite all this, I haven’t noticed any signs of candida in them.

orka1998
    Participant

Chilli wrote: Apparently I had a thrush infection in my mouth at a few days old. My mum was pretty ill (hemorrhaged and almost died) so i was in the hospital for quite some time, to be with her. I was breastfed, but apparently I was given a few bottles in the hospital aswell, and this is where my mum things i got the oral thrush from. She believes she has never had a yeast infection of any kind. I can’t see how I could have caught it off a bottle, but I am no expert. I have had candida problems most of my life though.

My children were both born naturally and both breast fed until over 1 year. Unfortunately for them they have both been on antibiotics quite a bit, mostly due to ear infections, and for one of them pneumonia. They also, at 3years old and 15 months, contracted campylobacter food poisoning 🙁 which really upset their tummies for a long time.

Every time, however, I have dosed them up on probiotic powder, during their illnesses, whilst they were on antibiotics and for a good few weeks after.
    I also make sure they eat probiotic yoghurt daily. I would love to get into making kefir and getting them to have some.

Anyway, despite all this, I haven’t noticed any signs of candida in them.

Hi Chilli,

Thanks for sharing your story. It is odd that you got it from a bottle, but in hospitals, there is a lot that can happen. I remember reading in some articles that acquiring candida infection is common in hospitals. My infestation got dramatically worse after being hospitalized. Although I think that my candida journey begun when I got a lot of antibiotics as a kid. Probiotics were unknown back then.

You’ve been through quite a lot with your kids! Good job in keeping up with probiotic during their treatment. I did not caught on with it when my girl was on antibiotic but trying to repair any potential damage now. They are eating kefir for about a month now and she finally had some softer stools and less straining.

It would probably be most beneficial if your kids would eat kefir since it is much more potent than commercial probiotic you purchase. I have a little advice in terms of introducing kefir to kids. Get them slowly to eat plain yoghurt, the drinkable kind. At dinner time, I would give my kids a spoon after a bite and they liked it as it helps them chew the food but they don’t taste it completely. Then I would give them spoon in between so they can taste the full yoghurt taste. Then when we could not have dinner without yoghurt I gave them to try few spoons of my kefir and they especially liked that it was mommy’s stuff they were tasting. In a while they didn’t make a difference between the two and they have kefir by itself now easily. Even when my kefir is a bit stronger, they say it’s sour but still go for it. Now it got to the point that if I don’t have yoghurt or kefir at dinner time, I’m in trouble 🙂

If your kids had soda before and liked it, they might take to kefir better than mine. My kids never tasted any kind of soda so kefir was much to weird for them and this is why I did it the way I described above.

Best of luck to you!

Arijana

Pattinoo
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 50

I have a 4 1/2 year old and Orka, I’m very impressed with your childrens diets. It’s hard to change them the older they get and I know just trying to minimize ‘treats’ is difficult when everywhere you turn there’s an occasion for them. We are slowly working on transitioning to healthier choices but it’s a slow transition and my ex tends to let her make all the choices. Ahh well, what’s in my control…I am certain I had this when I was pregnant and I breastfed for 13 mos. I too watch her for signs. Her tongue a little whitish? I start wanting to check out everyones tongues. My sig other did the cleanse with me and had no die off so he was my control subject. Still is. She still have treat day a couple times a week. Somehow I’m going to have to get the focus off treats. Were starting with an Easter basket of mostly toys crafts books rather than mostly candy but others will give her candy regardless. I guess ill just keep trying to slowly minimize the focus and damage….ugh. If she can learn moderation and occasional now what a benefit to her future that would be….

orka1998
    Participant

Pattinoo wrote: I have a 4 1/2 year old and Orka, I’m very impressed with your childrens diets. It’s hard to change them the older they get and I know just trying to minimize ‘treats’ is difficult when everywhere you turn there’s an occasion for them. We are slowly working on transitioning to healthier choices but it’s a slow transition and my ex tends to let her make all the choices. Ahh well, what’s in my control…I am certain I had this when I was pregnant and I breastfed for 13 mos. I too watch her for signs. Her tongue a little whitish? I start wanting to check out everyones tongues. My sig other did the cleanse with me and had no die off so he was my control subject. Still is. She still have treat day a couple times a week. Somehow I’m going to have to get the focus off treats. Were starting with an Easter basket of mostly toys crafts books rather than mostly candy but others will give her candy regardless. I guess ill just keep trying to slowly minimize the focus and damage….ugh. If she can learn moderation and occasional now what a benefit to her future that would be….

Hi Pattinoo,

Yes it’s tough with small kids, especially when they are exposed to different eating habits somewhere else. I was always kind of health freak with food, and “tortured” my ex and son with healthy diet, which in time they got used to and started to like it. I do try to get my girls to eat healthy but it’s not always easy. It’s a little easier now that they see me eating the same. Since I got them i worried that they eat healthy but I ate whatever was there, but learned my lesson now, the hard way. On the other hand they see other people eating other food and wherever we go or whoever comes to the house gives them treats. My girls are still little so I take them and then give them out in a controlled way (like one treat if they are extremely good or eat all of their veggies). Luckily my ex goes along with me on treats and gives them the bag but then says, now you give it to mommy and she will give it to you when it’s time. We were married for a long time and I had enough time to convince him that eating healthy is important. Grandparents are something else, but that’s once per week so I figured how much damage can that be 🙂

Good luck to you! It’s tough when you know you are making choices for the little ones and sometimes I do worry if it’s enough. I hope it is and that they will be fine. We can only give them a good start, but what they are going to eat when they grow up is another story and out of our hands unfortunately.

Thanks so much for your post. It feels good exchanging experiences with mothers who know what we know, my friends don’t know anything about candida so their view of healthy food is way different than ours.

Arijana

Lucylu
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 345

Hi Orka,

I’m sure I’m one of those that put this thought into your mind as I’ve ceratinly mentioned it on here!

I have no scientific evidence of this… BUT I have had 4 children, all naturally and breast fed them all. The first 3 showed no signs of any thrush etc. Number 4 was born Dec 2010 and from only a few weeks old has had oral thrush and in his nappy area too. I’m sure that at this time I was already suffering from Candida and probably throughout the pregnancy and I certainly developed it fully during the 10 months I was breast feeding him. He had very few antibiotics during that time but I’m very saddened to say he’s had 4 unavoidable antibiotics in the last 4 months. Each time his mouth and nappy area have flared up and I’ve had to use Nystatin drops, antifungal cream and double dosed of infant probiotic to shift it.

Coincidence? I don’t think so.

And here’s the real toughie… I think my hubby has developed it as well but he’s not open to discussing it. As far as I can see he’s in a die-off, regrowth cycle because he’s eating coconut oil, rutubaga, loads of garlic & onions with me in the evenings… but eating white bread, pizza, fries etc during the day. He has a real sweet tooth too… I mentioned it to him last week and he nearly fell off his chair and changed the subject! There’s no way he’d follow the diet & protocol as strictly as I did and the thought would just disgust him! Thinking selfishly… he can do what he likes with his own body, but I don’t want him to pass it back to me now that I’m so far down the track!

I wish you well with your own recovery and also your children’s health… please don’t feel guilty for passing this to them. You have done everything you can and their diet is superb! My little fella loves anything with coconut oil and any of my funny bits! I’m so glad I’ve started so early giving him all these funny flavours! His favourite thing for a snack is roast Kale… and that’s a very adult flavour.

Lx

orka1998
    Participant

Lucylu wrote: Hi Orka,

I’m sure I’m one of those that put this thought into your mind as I’ve ceratinly mentioned it on here!

I have no scientific evidence of this… BUT I have had 4 children, all naturally and breast fed them all. The first 3 showed no signs of any thrush etc. Number 4 was born Dec 2010 and from only a few weeks old has had oral thrush and in his nappy area too. I’m sure that at this time I was already suffering from Candida and probably throughout the pregnancy and I certainly developed it fully during the 10 months I was breast feeding him. He had very few antibiotics during that time but I’m very saddened to say he’s had 4 unavoidable antibiotics in the last 4 months. Each time his mouth and nappy area have flared up and I’ve had to use Nystatin drops, antifungal cream and double dosed of infant probiotic to shift it.

Coincidence? I don’t think so.

And here’s the real toughie… I think my hubby has developed it as well but he’s not open to discussing it. As far as I can see he’s in a die-off, regrowth cycle because he’s eating coconut oil, rutubaga, loads of garlic & onions with me in the evenings… but eating white bread, pizza, fries etc during the day. He has a real sweet tooth too… I mentioned it to him last week and he nearly fell off his chair and changed the subject! There’s no way he’d follow the diet & protocol as strictly as I did and the thought would just disgust him! Thinking selfishly… he can do what he likes with his own body, but I don’t want him to pass it back to me now that I’m so far down the track!

I wish you well with your own recovery and also your children’s health… please don’t feel guilty for passing this to them. You have done everything you can and their diet is superb! My little fella loves anything with coconut oil and any of my funny bits! I’m so glad I’ve started so early giving him all these funny flavours! His favourite thing for a snack is roast Kale… and that’s a very adult flavour.

Lx

Hi Lucilu,

Now I remember that it was you mentioning it somewhere! I read it and it somehow stuck in my mind and was roasting there for a while now. I could not find it again via the search button on the forum so I just vented here in my own post 🙂

I’m sorry about your hubby not listening. Men are tough to even discuss this with. My ex has it, I’m sure, perhaps worse than I do as he has digestion problems forever and his diet is bad (since we split up he doesn’t have anyone to “torture” him with healthy food), but he will not hear about it and he would never be able to survive this diet (sweet tooth very bad). We are friends after we split up and he is the father of my girls so I do care about his health but there is nothing I can do. My father has candida overgrowth as well, he was even diagnosed with overgrowth in his stomach, took a round of pills and that was it. He will not modify his diet and states that he is much to old for it. Each person has to do it for themselves first, then for others. When your hubby gets tired of the die-off maybe he gets on-board?

Thanks for your response. I love reading your posts, there is something about their tone that just cheers me up and soothes my nerves. Thank you for that!

Good luck with both the little one and your hubby, and of course getting rid of candida for good!

Arijana

Lucylu
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 345

Ah, thanks Orka! I enjoy reading your posts too! I try to just type like I would speak so it probably reads quite easily? And also I try to share the things that I feel & experience, not just textbook stuff. I know that’s what I prefer reading… other peoples thoughts, worries, experiences, insights… and also you may have noticed that I try not to take life too seriously! We all have challenges and stresses but we can choose how to respond to each thing… either from a positive or a negative place. If I find myself being weighed down I give myself a good “talking to” and remind myself of all the good things I have and the things I should be grateful for and before long I’m humming to myself again!

Have a good day… are you enjoying the mini heatwave that we have here in Ireland? I was out in the garden yesterday with the children for the entire day until 7pm!! The temperature was excatly twice what it was the same day last year… incredible!

Lx

orka1998
    Participant

Lucylu wrote: Ah, thanks Orka! I enjoy reading your posts too! I try to just type like I would speak so it probably reads quite easily? And also I try to share the things that I feel & experience, not just textbook stuff. I know that’s what I prefer reading… other peoples thoughts, worries, experiences, insights… and also you may have noticed that I try not to take life too seriously! We all have challenges and stresses but we can choose how to respond to each thing… either from a positive or a negative place. If I find myself being weighed down I give myself a good “talking to” and remind myself of all the good things I have and the things I should be grateful for and before long I’m humming to myself again!

Have a good day… are you enjoying the mini heatwave that we have here in Ireland? I was out in the garden yesterday with the children for the entire day until 7pm!! The temperature was excatly twice what it was the same day last year… incredible!

Lx

Oh I am enjoying it and missed the sun so bad. This winter was a bit hard, wasn’t it? Or perhaps I am being a little dramatic since I was ill most of it anyway hahaha.

It is wonderful outside isn’t it? I went out for a walk with my girls on Saturday. I didn’t do this in a while! I was still a little worried as I had a bit of die-off so then I loose my confidence as it kind of feels sometimes like I will faint or something, but still I enjoyed it so much!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Can a mother pass candida onto her kid during pregnancy/breastfeeding?’ is closed to new replies.