Bon Appetit and Bye Candida.

Home The Candida Forum Your Stories & Journals Bon Appetit and Bye Candida.

This topic contains 11 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  lola555 6 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Rachel_Healing
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 2

After many months of wanting to do the cleanse and knowing I needed to do it, I finally began the “easier” version of the cleanse four days ago. The day I began the cleanse I heard some wise words of advice: “cleansing need not be about deprivation. It is about filling your body with good things rather than starving yourself”.

I am an unrepentant foodie, which is a large part of why I got myself into the candida jam. I love decadent and rich foods: chocolate, wine, cream-based and fried things, breads, cakes. All of these things can put me over the edge with human joy. So you can understand my reluctance in giving up all of these pleasures for a single health goal that may not even work and that most of my friends regard as quackery. No chocolate stout/gelato banana ice cream swirl float with a best friend? No cupcakes? No bacon cheeseburger? No wine on date night? And for something that may not even work! I had a lot to lose, but decided to take the plunge one morning after waking up from a night of heavy drinking with a yeast infection, the pain of a recurring UTI and a tongue covered in thrush. So I started in desperation.

But what I have delightfully discovered about the “easier” version of the cleanse is the pleasure of discovering certain foods. Not only are these foods responsible for amazing health benefits, but they can be downright delicious. That said, the first three days of the cleanse for me were hell. I felt terrible with headache, thrush, ringing in the ears, feeling like I just wanted to sleep. And I still feel many of the die off symptoms on day four. But, I am slowly realizing the beauty in certain foods that I had previously overlooked. I make my own guacamole, mashing avocado, cilantro, TONS of garlic, lemon juice, a touch of very fine olive oil. Then, I roll it in a crisp seaweed square made with seaweed, sea salt and olive oil. Divine. Really. The sensual and elegant avocado and cilantro meld perfectly with the crispy, ocean taste of seaweed. Crispy outside. Smooth inside. Kind of like a chocolate lava cake only no guilt after finishing it. And the colors look amazing together too: pale avocado green and deep forest.

I am enjoying kimchi too, a probiotic food with a lively and tangy constitution. I also discovered a kind of saurkraut from a brand called “Wild Brine” which contains only cabbage, arame (a sea plant), ginger, and sea salt. When you taste it you may find yourself surprised that it does not contain vinegar such are the powers of fermentation. Fantastic. I’ve also re-discovered fennel which I love for its strangely elegant and distinct flavor. It makes a crispy salad with olive oil, lemon, salt, pepper and a touch of cider vinegar. Fennel is also sublime roasted. Roasting caramelizes it a bit and distills its flavor. And let’s not forget coconut oil. When I first read about its powerful anti-fungal properties I somewhat begrudgingly bought my first jar from my local health food store. “It’s expensive and will taste like hell” I lamented to myself. Not the case. I discovered coconut oil to be decadent and sensuous and just one jar to be an affordable investment. The stuff has an ethereal flavor—fruity, playful and very unique. I’m eager to bake a coconut bread recipe I saw posted earlier.

For dinner I am enjoying a glass of my stevia lemonade and a spaghetti squash which I roasted with fine olive oil and sea salt. And I’m wondering how spaghetti squash got on the list in the first place. I feel as if I’m consuming a little bowl of angel hair pasta with roasted pumpkin seeds on top. Maybe I’ll add some garlic next time for an even richer Italian flavor.

Also in my growing cache of new foods discovered is dandelion root tea. It is so comforting and has an almost bread-like/yeast-y taste. Pau d’Arco, though not as delicious still has some what of a deep, grounding taste. Also, I visit juice bars for juice blends of kale, cucumber, ginger, lemon, and whatever dark leafy greens are available. The drink tastes thick, grassy, wholesome and the ginger packs a kick.

This cleanse, while enormously challenging, can be an excellent way to discover and more fully understand neglected but powerfully healthful foods. I have barely even scratched the surface of the spice list. The amount of foods you can make from the short list of acceptable foods hardly gives room for complaint. For me, the way to go about this cleanse is not to look at through the lense of deprivation and denial, but rather to see it as a gustatory delight. I can only imagine what this will be like when I can add chicken.

Bon appetit and bye candida!

Latka
    Replies: 128

Such an inspiring post! And I think you are on to something: that is focusing on enjoying what you can have instead of obsessing over what you cannot. This will make the journey so much easier and help with healing. I have to say that if I gained something from being on this candida diet it is learning to cook and becoming more creative in the kitchen. And that I’m grateful for.

Clare_
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 134

That post is a head spin.

As I was readng it, I couldn’t help thinking: are you eating the same foods as I am?

Heh.

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Clare_ wrote: That post is a head spin.

I think it’s the number of adjectives and adverbs, Clare, they’re literally uncountable. But it’s a refreshing read among the ocean of facts and information that the forum usually offers, much like the enjoyment of a classic eighteenth century novel; sheer entertainment.

Able

Clare_

Able900 wrote:

That post is a head spin.

I think it’s the number of adjectives and adverbs, Clare, they’re literally uncountable. But it’s a refreshing read among the ocean of facts and information that the forum usually offers, much like the enjoyment of a classic eighteenth century novel; sheer entertainment.

Able

That it is. Pure entertainment.

Bravo!

Rachel_Healing
    Replies: 2

What can I say? I had to find a silver lining in that pile of vegetables!!!

Happy cleansing!

ucantbevan
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 3

Good to hear! Thanks for the post.

RickiH
    Participant
    Replies: 16

It was so great to read this! I also came to rediscover some foods and appreciate others–there are definitely foods I would never have tasted at all if not for the candida diet. It’s also made me a more creative cook, as I have to find alternatives for things I like(d) to eat. Thanks for the positive spin on what is often not a very positive experience!

Clare_

I had ratabaga soup for dinner and I found it almost too sweet to eat.

Giving up sugar makes the palate shift; foods I would not have associated with ‘sweetness’ are now naturally sweet.

alphax
    Replies: 3

Bon Appetit, Rachel! It’s good to know that amongst the many threads here about struggling to have a grasp of the cleansing diet, one was able to “slide” through it, and enjoying it! Haha!

Certainly events in our lives make us look at things in a different way, and we wonder, why have we not seen that all along. Thanks Rachel for this inspiring post. I myself is on the way of rediscovering what healthy diet is all about. And while I sometimes suffer from the effects of die-off, I just think longer term. It will be over, and I’ll be healthy again.

gabrielle
    Replies: 1

Oh my gosh! SO good! Please keep posting!!!! Do you have a regular blog or place where you post your journey and recipes, etc? I would really be interested in following your journey.

lola555
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 16

Thank you, Rachel 🙂

I recently slid off the wagon on my vacation to San Diego…although I do not regret it (HA!), I am back to my rigid diet. It was refreshing to read a post so eloquently written and descriptive. I, too, see the best sides of this diet but cannot describe my journey with such color and zest! I never thought I would purchase rutabaga at the store! I hope more people on the diet can see wonderful side of it with discovery and new palate experiences. Oooh, and thanks for the fennel idea. Never thought of eating that one.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Bon Appetit and Bye Candida.’ is closed to new replies.