Body Ecology kefir- is this right?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Body Ecology kefir- is this right?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Sonic Boom 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

yisucks
    Participant
    Topics: 131
    Replies: 331

Hi all,

I am not new to the forum, but am new to making kefir. I’ve browsed on here for a while about it, and have read about strainers, and open jars, etc, and I’m just not sure I am doing this right.

I bought the BODY ECOLOGY KEFIR STARTER KIT here: http://bodyecology.com/digestive-health-kefir-starter.html#sthash.QaIxXxL6.dpbs

The instructions seemed WAY too simple which had me worried I did it wrong. I got great advice from folks on here on how to do the kefir, but it didn’t match my instructions. I think because they used Cultures for Health and I got Body Ecology.

I heated some organic milk to 92 degrees and added the kefir packet to the milk. I stirred it up, and put it in a closed jar for 24 hours. Then, 24 hours later, I stuck it in the fridge. I kept it in there for a day, and then I drank it. That was it. There was NO mention of straining the kefir, and they also didn’t tell me how long I had to wait to consume it. I read on thecandidadiet website that it is best to let it ferment for a while outside of the fridge so you are getting the most nutrients and least lactose (which feeds candida). But the instructions just said to let it sit out for 18-24 hours. Did I do this right? Also, I’ve seen on “Cultures for Health” that you need to put like a coffee filter and a rubber band on top to let it breathe, but Body ecology just said closable vessel.

I’m confused. I drank it and hope it’s OK. I also only had to save 6 tablespoons of the kefir to innoculate the next batch, which seemed weird.

I just want to make sure I’m doing this correctly. I bought separate strainers from Cultures for Health bc I thought I’d need them but realized I don’t. When I tried to strain it, there was nothing to strain. The packets of kefir were the consistency of sugar or salt– not like grains.

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

What you did obviously worked; however, I found that the kefir turned out stronger if I allowed the fermentation process to last around 30 hours, even longer during the winter months. I never had a lot of luck with using part of the old batch to inoculate a new one, so I simply used a new pack of starter each time, but this is up to you, if it works there’s no reason not to do it.
    The most important thing is of course to keep an eye on the temperature of the room and follow the temperature instructions as closely as possible.

Able

JackBodyEcology
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 2

yisucks,

Hi, this is Jack from Body Ecology customer service. It sounds like you followed the instructions perfectly. You are correct that you would now take 6 tablespoons from the kefir you just made, ideally within three days of its refrigeration, to make a new quart-sized batch, or you can take a cup to make a gallon-sized batch, or half-cup to make a half-gallon.

Many other methods of making kefir you may have found are using either traditional kefir grains, or other brands of starter, so they will differ. When using our starter you’ll want to stick to the instructions we include in the box, which it sounds like you did perfectly.

If you have any questions you’re welcome to give us a call at 1-800-511-2660, or e-mail us at [email protected].

Best Regards,
    Jack
    Body Ecology

sophie
    Replies: 20

Can you use the kit with water or coconut milk?

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

sophie;29418 wrote: Can you use the kit with water or coconut milk?

Sophie, you’ll need to use the starter kit with cow’s milk, goat’s milk, or coconut milk.

Able

cjtboy
    Topics: 7
    Replies: 26

in response to the original post – the key differences you are noticing is based on the type of product you bought. You can make kefir with 2 different products:

1) the packets you bought, or
    2) kefir grains

Personally, I went with kefir grains (these you have to strain out) – because you can reuse them indefinitely and they also multiply as you use them, so you can give some away, eat it as a probiotic, or just dry and store as back up in case something happens. they are also cheap/free to obtain. Also – you don’t have to heat anything up with the grains.

I am honestly not sure if one is ‘better’ than the other, but based on the above, I use the grains.

If you want to try the kefir grains out – check craiglist in your area. Around me, there are often people giving away or selling them super cheap (same for kombucha scoby’s)

good luck

DDR4321
    Replies: 1

How do you guys feel about store bought keifer? The plain, unflavored kind of course.

yisucks
    Participant
    Topics: 131
    Replies: 331

OK so it seems like my first 2 batches came out fine. Unfortunately, with the 3rd batch, I let it sit out for twice as long as I was supposed to (like 40 hours instead of 18-24 hours). It’s very thick with lumps but the taste is normal. Is this OK to drink??

JackBodyEcology
    Replies: 2

yisucks,

Yes, this naturally occurs when you go longer than 24 hours. It is not a problem. You can still consume. This is the same as the process outlined in the instructions for making Kefir cheese, in which you intentionally let it separate.

Jack
    Body Ecology Customer Service

Sonic Boom
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 52

How can you tell if the starter powder has properly consumed the lactate, for a given batch of kefir? I want to be able to make drinkable kefir (the consistency of milk), and if you leave it out of the refrigerator for too long, it sometimes turns to a jello consistency, or something the curds and whey separate.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Body Ecology kefir- is this right?’ is closed to new replies.