Bloating that won't quit

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Bloating that won't quit

This topic contains 30 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Javizy 6 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author

missiello
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 36

Hi guys, need your advice on what supplements and foods I should eat. I am off the candida diet as of now. Even while being on the candida diet I still had issues with bloating, especially when I ate vegetables and meat.

I still have constant bloating, gas, belching, nausea and occasional heartburn. It is so bad that I lose my appetite almost all throughout the afternoon. I tend to only get hungry in the morning and late at night. The bloating is so bad during the afternoon that I lose my appetite and I feel like my stomach is going to explode.

I am going to visit a doctor because I am afraid that it might be a bigger issue since being on the candida diet did not make this issue go away. I’ve also lost a lot of weight and I’m afraid I’m just going to keep losing more and more. I’m afraid I might have crohn’s disease and I made the mistake of researching it quite a bit today. This was probably a bad idea, since stressing about it makes the inflammation worse.

Some things I do currently to ease the bloating is drinking green/ginger tea, taking betaine hcl, digestive enzymes, and eating smaller/lighter meals.

missiello

Oh yea, I also take a 14 billion probiotic 2-3 times a day. This one.

flailingWcandi
    Topics: 13
    Replies: 277

I got a LOT of bloating from meat and nuts….more so than veggies. Red meat causes ammonia gas. Candida apparently make ammonia gas for a more hospitable environment for them to thrive. The combo is a LOT of ammonia toxins within the body. Bloating curtailed when I cut out the red meat. Didn’t have the same problem with sushi fish though…..just my two cents, which aren’t worth two pennies…

God Speed on your recovery.

FYI –

Crohns was one of my many MIS-dxs along my journey….

Crohns is dx’d through a barium x-ray. It leaves very particular scarring on the intestinal walls from an autoimmune disorder attacking healthy tissue. It usually effects the ileum (connection point between small/large intestine). Treatment is with immune suppressants; they either provide immediate relief or it’s not crohn’s. I curled up in a ball and immediately felt MUCH worse on them; they never did find the scarring to lead to that dx! Then they thought I had TB of my ileum due to being TB positive on a TB skin test; though never have had active TB in my lungs. Apparently, GI TB mimics Crohns…woozy yet?

Here’s the thing they didn’t think of in my case; mycosis or the antibody reaction to the toxins released in the blood stream from Candidasis shows up on the TB skin test…(just learned that – wish I would have known 8 years ago!) Again, Candidasis mimics GI TB which mimics crohns…..woozy yet?

Then I was GI breath tested with very odd results. I was dx’d as having sibo, a bacterial overgrowth of the small intestine though they said my system was “so clean” during the test. Treatment didn’t resolve this mis-dx.

Myself and other candida sufferers experience food sitting prior to the ileum; right at the belt line and is very painful; not sure the cause. Oxy-cleanse gets the system moving the food out as a short term remedy. Don’t know THE long term solution. Perhaps smaller meals, more fiber, fasting…..I’m still working on this myself.

If you have experienced this syndrome then you may guess like me there must be a lot of lower small intestinal contraction causing this; which is very painful. Perhaps the body’s way of keeping food from feeding Candida in the large intestine? dunno.. I’m so sorry you are experiencing such misfortune.

I’m NO EXPERT and certainly just learning about Candida but, perhaps my experience will lessen concern/time in helping you discover your forward path. Something caused you to land in this forum. In my case, 8 years were lost until the proper dx was arrived at and, there’s no question Candida has been the mysterious culprit all along. Now, whose to say how long it’s going to take to get to a better state of health and well being? A lot of damage has been done needlessly in my journey and all my efforts at hard transitions towards protocol have set me back on their own.

Good luck

flailingWcandi
    Topics: 13
    Replies: 277

Oh yeah, digestive enzymes have been helping me some on this front but, the forum suggest using bitters to make the body create it’s own digestive enzymes rather than using supplemental enzymes like I’m doing presently; plan is to transition towards bitters down the line when my system is more stabilized.

Javizy
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 945

There are different possible causes, so it’s hard for anyone to give you solid advice. Like candi said, SIBO is one possibility. Stress obviously contributes massively to poor digestion. Have you suffered from stress in the past? Hormones out of whack can seriously mess with your health. Have you ever had any labs done?

I think anyone suspecting candida should have their thyroid function checked first. Poor function makes for a horrible uphill struggle, and people have seen symptoms like GERD and constipation disappear after treatment. You need to at least check TSH, T3 and T4 and get them all within range. There’s a trend to rely solely on TSH, so many people don’t get a proper diagnosis or even proper treatment after diagnosis.

With digestion and metabolism working at a standard rate, the rest of the process should be much easier. This is one reason to make sure you eat enough calories and carbs. Low-calorie, ketogenic diets can significantly lower T3 levels and give hypothyroid-like symptoms.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

One thing I am wondering is whether you experience bloating before starting the candida diet? All I gotta say is that if you think it’ll be better when off the candida diet, you’ve got the wrong idea.

I’ve experienced mild bloating throughout my treatment but when I cheated on my honeymoon for a week…the bloating was way worse.

I would not be overly concerned about diagnosing yourself with some disease and I’d just sit back and do the diet and not worry. It takes a very long time for the body to heal. The main thing you should be worried about is whether you are taking the right supplement for you?

A naturopath likely would give you something similar to what I am taking which would include zypan, AF betafood, enzymes, etc. Have you been taking bitters or started to chew your food a whole bunch? These could both help with digestion…you might also notice a benefit with SF722 which does a lot of things in the gut as well.

-raster

Positivo
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 246

I experienced alot of bloating in the beginning mainly due to overeating. I think you should eat smaller portions before you quit the diet. At first I was eating so much at one meal that food would fall of my plate. This is a common mistake on the diet because I was so worried about not being full so I filled my stomach up until I couldnt eat anymore. Try eating small portions and take zypan with your meals. Also have small portions of meat, eggs or avocados. Right now I am eating tons of raw salads and I feel satified without the bloating. If I eat chicken or fish its about the size of my palm, if I eat eggs I usually keep it to 2 per meal and avocados I keep to 1 per salad just to give you an idea.

Latka
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 128

I’ve had massive bloating for two months now: the belly looks like I’m at least five months pregnant, and my whole body is taken over by this weird bloating/water retention too. I did read that going too low carb can cause whole body edema and maybe that’s what happened. I definetely did not eat enough when I started the diet (don’t see how it is possible to over eat on candida diet?). The belly bloating started when I introduced kefir and a stronger strain of probiotics. Don’t know what caused it but right now I am too freaked out to take probiotics anymore. I’m thinking maybe I over did it? Or then it was the milk in kefir, and maybe the bloating is caused by food intolerance. Though I have been tested to not have any allergy/intolerance to milk.

Anyway, if you do find out what helps reduce bloating, please share. I’m taking hlc as well, but have experienced no noticeable effect.

missiello

Positivo – trust me I am not over eating. I eat half of what I used to eat and I’ve lost a lot of weight. The feeling of fullness and bloating along with nausea is what causes me to eat so little. My parents and boyfriend are concerned that I eat so little which of course adds on to my stress.

Before my candida symptoms, I was working a very stressful selling job. Ironically, I had a HUGE appetite and ate a lot (and terribly). I also would have coffee twice a day while working. It was until I had a bad sinus infection and was put on steroids and antibiotics that I started truly feeling like this.

Raster – yes, I did have bloating before the candida diet, which is one of the reasons why I started in the first place.

Many of my candida issues have subsided since I’ve been on the candida diet except my digestive issues.

I do have SF722 and I have been off antifungals for at least two weeks. I guess it is worth a shot to start taking them again.

I also bought these bitters today in place of enzymes – Maple Bitters The taste isn’t so bad and I use it after I eat.

candida-me
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 6

There is another thing you might find helpful: eating only certain veggies raw and the rest has to be well cooked. Check also this: http://bodyecology.com/articles/raw_vegetables_gas_bloating.php

tareq
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 10

I am also recommend that “Nutrition Now PB 8, Probiotic Acidophilus”. But need to follow some suggestion. If you have a medical condition, are on medication or are pregnant or nursing, do not use this product.

missiello

Thanks for all the advice guys, I really appreciate it!

Update: I bought some milk thistle today and have been using the bitters before eating as mentioned above. I don’t want to speak to soon, but I do feel less bloated today and no nausea which is AWESOME. I would definitely recommend bitters instead of digestive enzymes which didn’t seem to do very much for me.

Which also makes me think maybe my liver needed a cry for help!

More updates coming soon. I’m seeing the Dr. on wednesday

missiello

Latka wrote: I’ve had massive bloating for two months now: the belly looks like I’m at least five months pregnant, and my whole body is taken over by this weird bloating/water retention too. I did read that going too low carb can cause whole body edema and maybe that’s what happened. I definetely did not eat enough when I started the diet (don’t see how it is possible to over eat on candida diet?). The belly bloating started when I introduced kefir and a stronger strain of probiotics. Don’t know what caused it but right now I am too freaked out to take probiotics anymore. I’m thinking maybe I over did it? Or then it was the milk in kefir, and maybe the bloating is caused by food intolerance. Though I have been tested to not have any allergy/intolerance to milk.

Anyway, if you do find out what helps reduce bloating, please share. I’m taking hlc as well, but have experienced no noticeable effect.

That’s exactly how I look. My boyfriend and I joke about how I’m pregnant. I have not tried kefir because my test showed I am allergic to dairy and eggs.

I did hear that too much probiotics can actually cause bloating. Don’t know if this is true or not, but maybe you don’t need as much as some people?

Have you been using bitters at all? If so, has it been helping you?

Latka
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 128

I could not get any bitters that were alcohol free here so I haven’t tried it yet. But maybe I should try it anyhow; maybe if it helps the bloating the alcohol doesn’t matter that much. Thinking of it. Otherwise I will have to go and buy a whole new wardrobe at the maternity section because I no longer fit into my own clothes.

But it’s confusing. I was never this bloated before. it’s possible I overdid the probiotics. But I also feel that undereating and going too low on calories certainly did a lot of harm. At the time I was so focused on starving the candida that I ended up starving myself. And now I have a whole bunch of other problems to worry about. I do find now that eating more smaller meals helps to keep the calories up (as I’m eating more often) but also eases the heartburn problem (i guess by not overloading the system in one go?).

The worrying never helps though so am trying to focus on all that I have gained so far, and just take it day by day (just hoping, one day soon, I will no longer look pregnant!)

Javizy
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 945

missiello wrote: I would definitely recommend bitters instead of digestive enzymes which didn’t seem to do very much for me.

Which also makes me think maybe my liver needed a cry for help!

More updates coming soon. I’m seeing the Dr. on wednesday

Digestive enzymes are actually capable of digesting your intestinal cells (I think both lipase and protease). If you have an insufficient amount of protective mucous, as in “leaky gut”, they’re probably best avoided. Able always recommends the bitters too, since they encourage rather than substitute enzyme production.

What are you seeing the doc about? I’ve read some really interesting anecdotal stuff about hormones lately, and it makes a lot of sense when you think about the physiology too. I have a history of stress myself, and stress hormones can throw everything out of whack. Simply “destressing” isn’t enough to recover the damage unfortunately, at least in my experience. If you could get a hormone panel (thyroid, sex hormones, saliva cortisol test etc), you’d probably find the results quite interesting.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Bloating that won't quit’ is closed to new replies.