Baking Powder

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Baking Powder

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Hope 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Katkram
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 0

Is baking powder and baking soda allowed in stage one of the Candida Diet? We would like to be able to make pancakes or waffles with buckwheat.

Diane
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 73

Hi KatKram,

Baking powder is definitely allowed in the first stage of the diet, I use it to bake my coconut bread. Make sure that it has no aluminium content or traces. Thats as far as baking powder goes. I can safely say that baking soda is also allowed, once again be sure that it contains no bad stuff. Tryo to look in the search, key in a topic, im sure you will find lots of info.

Hey good luck

Cheers

Diane

Diane
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 73

By the way check out the breakfast lunch and dinner part in this forum, you will find great recipes and there is a specific one about pancakes made with rice flour and coconut.

Once again

Goood luck

Hope
    Topics: 22
    Replies: 187

Actually, I stayed away from baking powder in Stage 1. You have to *very* careful with labels – many add corn starch. Beyond that, though, baking powder is basically a blend of baking soda (which is fine on the diet) and cream of tartar. Some cream of tartar is derived from fermentation, and I’ve read, some specifically from yeast. I didn’t want to mess with it. I adapted recipes though, sometimes addinga little more (organic) egg, sometimes trying to add some baking soda and a little lemon or lime (the baking soda works with the acid to make the food fluffy). I also experimented with unbuffered vitamin C powder mixed with the baking soda. About 4 parts baking soda to one part vit C and then that mixture is used as a 1:1 subtitute for baking powder. It works okay, but if your recipe calls for a lot of baking pwder, lots of baking soda can give it a nasty taste. Bitter. I think others have done all right w/ the baking powder, but those are my reasons for staying away from it for the first part. Actually, I didn’t reintroduce it until over 3 months in, and then only ocassionally. There’s a store bought millet bread I can buy that has baking powder.

Anyway, hope this helps some 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Baking Powder’ is closed to new replies.