ashwagandha

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions ashwagandha

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Tulip 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

chausse112
    Topics: 13
    Replies: 17

The Ashwaghanda that I have has rice flour in it? What should I do? I haven’t started taking it yet. Are there any better choices out there. Mine is from Life Extension.

What about plant cellulose as an ingredient in supplements?

Javizy
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 945

Are you planning to take it to reduce cortisol levels, and if so, have you had lab tests which confirm elevated cortisol levels? Some herbs have pharmacological effects comparable to synthetic drugs, and you wouldn’t self-medicate yourself with those. Ashwagandha is probably safe, but if your self-diagnosis is inaccurate, it won’t help.

Many of the symptoms of high cortisol mirror those of low cortisol, so it’s helpful to get the labs to point you in the right direction. A 24-hour saliva cortisol test, which involves taking 4 samples throughout the day, can fairly accurately gauge adrenal function. Thyroid problems are usually interlinked with adrenal problems, either because the adrenals interfere with thyroid hormone metabolism in otherwise euthyroid people, or because lack of thyroid function forces otherwise healthy adrenals to compensate.

Lab testing may be cost prohibitive for some, but some endocrine tests are fairly cheap, especially compared to stool or allergy tests, which aren’t anywhere near as reliable. Problems with the endocrine system can set you up for infections like candida overgrowth, so ruling them out is a good idea (where possible).

As for the ingredients, cellulose is vegetable fibre, which is fine, and rice flour is easily absorbed in the small intestine, but is probably in too negligible an amount to notice anyway. If you have bacterial overgrowth in the small intestine, it could potential cause issues.

chausse112

Javizy- I thought Ashwaghanda was more of a relaxant type supplement. My intent was for stress and sleep. My stress is high and do not sleep well. I don’t know where my cortisol levels stand but I would imagine they are within normal limits since I did have a CBC done earlier this year.

Bacteria in the small intestine? Would that be common with Candida? How would one know if they had bacteria there?

Javizy
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 945

chausse112 wrote: Javizy- I thought Ashwaghanda was more of a relaxant type supplement. My intent was for stress and sleep. My stress is high and do not sleep well. I don’t know where my cortisol levels stand but I would imagine they are within normal limits since I did have a CBC done earlier this year.

Bacteria in the small intestine? Would that be common with Candida? How would one know if they had bacteria there?

If your tests are okay, then you could try ashwaghanda. Many people report benefits in regard to stress.

Small intestinal problems are similar to IBS, and they may even be one and the same. Bloating above the naval, especially after eating anything with fibre, and symptoms soon after eating are signs. You’d probably know already if this was a problem. I just mentioned it because any starch could be a problem in this case.

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

I thought Ashwaghanda was more of a relaxant type supplement. My intent was for stress and sleep. My stress is high and do not sleep well.

That’s exactly why it’s recommended on our protocol, chausse. Many of the members take it without problems, and I took it throughout my entire treatment and it was a great addition to my protocol helping with both stress and sleep.

The bacteria that Javizy spoke of is just one more thing to worry about, so until you have cause to worry about ‘other factors’ forget about it and concentrate on what you know at this time.

Able

chausse112

Great responses! Thanks so much. I’m about to rip open the Ashwaghanda this very moment.

I do think I must have a bacterial thing in my small intestines based on what Javizy said. But in reference to what Able said, I will worry about that later.

Tulip
    Topics: 22
    Replies: 58

I ordered ashwagandha but a naturopath told me not to take it…I’m SO sensitive,bed time tea totally knocks me out.I needed up returning it.It was mainly due to anxiety,yet another charming Candida symptom,which is really going away,or at least retreating for now.I don’t think taking this herb is that necessary.Take a hot bath,or squirt lavender oil,do some deep breathing,gentle yoga.There are so many easy holistic approaches to combatting anxiety and stress!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘ashwagandha’ is closed to new replies.