Another vote for S. Boulardii

Home The Candida Forum Candida Research Another vote for S. Boulardii

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Vegan Catlady 5 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

dvjorge
    Participant
    Topics: 283
    Replies: 1368

The antagonistic effect of Saccharomyces boulardii on Candida albicans filamentation, adhesion and biofilm formation.

Anna Krasowska, Anna Murzyn, Agnieszka Dyjankiewicz, Marcin Łukaszewicz, Dorota Dziadkowiec
    Faculty of Biotechnology, Wrocław University, Wrocław, Poland.
    FEMS Yeast Research (Impact Factor: 2.46). 09/2009; 9(8):1312-21. DOI:10.1111/j.1567-1364.2009.00559.x
    Source: PubMed
    ABSTRACT The dimorphic fungus Candida albicans is a member of the normal flora residing in the intestinal tract of humans. In spite of this, under certain conditions it can induce both superficial and serious systemic diseases, as well as be the cause of gastrointestinal infections. Saccharomyces boulardii is a yeast strain that has been shown to have applications in the prevention and treatment of intestinal infections caused by bacterial pathogens. The purpose of this study was to determine whether S. boulardii affects the virulence factors of C. albicans. We demonstrate the inhibitory effect of live S. boulardii cells on the filamentation (hyphae and pseudohyphae formation) of C. albicans SC5314 strain proportional to the amount of S. boulardii added. An extract from S. boulardii culture has a similar effect. Live S. boulardii and the extract from S. boulardii culture filtrate diminish C. albicans adhesion to and subsequent biofilm formation on polystyrene surfaces under both aerobic and microaerophilic conditions. This effect is very strong and requires lower doses of S. boulardii cells or concentrations of the extract than serum-induced filamentation tests. Saccharomyces boulardii has a strong negative effect on very important virulence factors of C. albicans, i.e. the ability to form filaments and to adhere and form biofilms on plastic surfaces.

Smitty99
    Topics: 27
    Replies: 227

Interesting stuff Jorge! I’m back on the S boulardii. I stopped taking it around Christmas because I was breaking out in really bad rashes and went straight back to the prescription antifungals cause I thought it wasn’t working.

I’m having the same issue again but I’m wondering if it’s die off? It’s happening almost in the same manner as last time too. The first week or two of the S boulardii, I had major fatigue, flu symptoms, sinus congestion, lost my voice, etc. This is after taking strong prescription antifungals for 3 months! It shocked me to have that kind of a die off response. A lot of those those symptoms have gone away but I’m having issues again with rashes.

I’m pretty sure it’s die off but I’m also concerned it could be an allergic reaction. I’ve read on some internet sites that probiotics can cause neurological damage and even infection? Not sure how true that is. I’ve never heard of that on this forum before that probiotics could harm you.

What is your opinion Jorge? Do you think it’s die off or an allergic reaction? I’ll tell you why I think it’s die off and not an allergic reaction. The rash always comes 2 or 3 weeks after I start the treatment. If it was an allergic reaction, wouldn’t it happen almost immediately? I’m assuming it’s happening 2 or 3 weeks later because the S boulardii is slowly growing in my gut therefore pushing more and more bad bacteria out?

Btw I stopped all prescription antifungals about six weeks ago cause I figured I wasn’t allowing myself a chance to repopulate my gut.

Thanks Jorge!

Matt

dvjorge
    Participant
    Topics: 283
    Replies: 1368

Smitty99;55487 wrote: Interesting stuff Jorge! I’m back on the S boulardii. I stopped taking it around Christmas because I was breaking out in really bad rashes and went straight back to the prescription antifungals cause I thought it wasn’t working.

I’m having the same issue again but I’m wondering if it’s die off? It’s happening almost in the same manner as last time too. The first week or two of the S boulardii, I had major fatigue, flu symptoms, sinus congestion, lost my voice, etc. This is after taking strong prescription antifungals for 3 months! It shocked me to have that kind of a die off response. A lot of those those symptoms have gone away but I’m having issues again with rashes.

I’m pretty sure it’s die off but I’m also concerned it could be an allergic reaction. I’ve read on some internet sites that probiotics can cause neurological damage and even infection? Not sure how true that is. I’ve never heard of that on this forum before that probiotics could harm you.

What is your opinion Jorge? Do you think it’s die off or an allergic reaction? I’ll tell you why I think it’s die off and not an allergic reaction. The rash always comes 2 or 3 weeks after I start the treatment. If it was an allergic reaction, wouldn’t it happen almost immediately? I’m assuming it’s happening 2 or 3 weeks later because the S boulardii is slowly growing in my gut therefore pushing more and more bad bacteria out?

Btw I stopped all prescription antifungals about six weeks ago cause I figured I wasn’t allowing myself a chance to repopulate my gut.

Thanks Jorge!

Matt

No sure what to say but looks like an allergic reaction to me.

Jorge.

Vegan Catlady
    Topics: 34
    Replies: 626

Smitty99;55487 wrote:

Thanks Jorge!

Matt

Hey Matt,
    Do you have links to your info on probiotics being harmful?

I had some really BAD reactions to probiotics and dont understand why I havent heard more about that happening to others, so I figured it was just me.

Thank you

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Another vote for S. Boulardii’ is closed to new replies.