Another antibiotic – what would your game plan be?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Another antibiotic – what would your game plan be?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Able900 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Hope
    Topics: 22
    Replies: 187

So, here we go again. Third antibiotic in the last 4 months. Believe me, I’m not one to just pop antibiotics w/o question. I’m pregnant and these are needed to avoid pregnancy complications (I’m 7 months along tomorrow).

My question is – what would your game plan be if you had to take an antibiotic? The last two have left me with oral thrush and a host of various skin rashes. I’d say they’ve all been moderate. Nothing severe, and they’re gone w/i 7-10 days of finishing up the antibiotic and really sticking to the diet. But, I’m just wondering if there’s any way I can really work against the yeast *while on the antibiotic* more than I have in the past. What would you do?

I’ve been trying to keep my die off slow and steady in order to avoid exposing the baby to lots of toxins. I’m wondering if hitting the antifungals and probiotics especially hard while on the antibiotic would produce lots of die-off toxins, or would they more or less just work to control the yeast and keep it from multiplying like mad as my good bacteria is killed off. I don’t want a deluge of toxins. I’d rather keep the die off slow and steady even though it will take longer. But, I guess I’m really just trying to figure out which is worse die-off wise, upping the antifungals (mostly coconut oil and garlic – I’m limited because many other options are contraindicated in pregnancy) and probiotics while on the antibiotic to try to control any excess yeast growth OR to keep the antifungals and probiotics about where they are now and just plan for the same slow and steady progress I’ve made post-antibiotic so far.

The last time I took an antibiotic, it took about 4-5 weeks for all of my candida symptoms to be reduced. Just yesterday I scored a 13 on a candida questionaire on which the lowest score for “mild candida” was 35. So, the progress is very encouraging despite all of the medications working against me! I keep getting close to reintroducing foods and then I get another antibiotic! Oh, well. You know, I’m thankful that I’ve had a full month or so in between infections (UTIs) and antibiotics to get the yeast significantly reduced before the next bout.

Input? Thanks in advance!

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Hope;

Of course, I’m not even going to attempt to imagine what it might be like to be pregnant and on antibiotics at the same time, with Candida. So, I’ll just say this; if my sister were pregnant, and she had to go on an antibiotic, I would advise her to stay away from any additional antifungal and instead increase the probiotics as well as prebiotics. As you stated, since the antibiotic will kill the bacteria but not the yeast allowing the yeast to multiply and fill the space left by the bacteria, it makes sense to keep the flora replenished and flourishing as much as possible. In my opinion at least – it’s the best chance at holding your ground with the Candida while on the antibiotic.

I don’t really believe in luck, but if there’s any out there, I’m wishing you all of it.
    Able

Hope

Thanks, Able. That’s pretty much what I was leaning toward – and what I’ve done in the past. Although, this time I’m going to up the probiotics more significantly.

On a positive note, the prescription this time is a 3 day course instead of 10 day. I have to wake up in the middle of the night to make sure I’m getting it 4x in 24 hours, but I’m hoping the shorter duration will maybe limit the yeast complications. Two out of 12 pills down! 🙂

purple212
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 1

As I stated in the Advice category, Colloidal Silver is a “natural” antibiotic that kills over 650 viruses and bacteria, including Candida. You can take it while pregnant. It does not tax your immune system but assists it in warding off bacteria, etc. You can make your own, or you can buy it online, or you can possibly find it in your local health store or chiropractic office. Much cheaper to make it. Safe to take twice a day, everyday. Doesn’t build up toxins.

Hope

Well, here’s my latest, gang…

I finished up the Ampicillin, and although it was gentle enough to *not* give me any yeast related side effects, it was also *too gentle* to kill off my UTI :/ I wound up with blood in my urine and another prescription just days after finishing the Ampicillin. THEN, late Tuesday afternoon I was on the phone with my OB, rocking back and forth in pain and shaking. He had me go to the hospital to rule out a kidney infection and early labor contractions. Guess what it was… kidney stones! Multiple kidney stones in my right kidney. The pain eventually subsided that evening and has only flared up minimally since. I see a urologist within the next week or two.

I was SO thankful that the baby was fine, and I wasn’t contracting at all. I’m also thankful for the diagnosis because it helps explain my recurrent UTIs.

Tricky thing is, some people think kidney stones can be brought on by a diet high in oxalates. Wish I had paid a little more attention to those things before my kidney went and got stones! Turns out I’ve been regularly consuming some of the absolute highest oxalate foods – buckwheat, spinach, peppers, and almonds. “Regularly”, as in *daily*. So, in addition to the ACD, now I’m working toward a LOD (low oxalate diet). Missing the buckwheat and the almonds is killer for me. The only grain I have left is wild rice and NO nuts or seeds :/ At least until this resolves a bit – then I’m sure I’ll have them in moderation.

To end on a positive note, I’m finishing up the first half of my latest antibiotic (Macrobid) and I haven’t had any signs of the usual thrush or other yeasty weirdness. That’s *very* encouraging to me. I wound up taking all my grains out of my diet as soon as I started the course – even before the little oxalate revelation – and I did increase my probiotics somewhat (around 90 billion in supplements daily and around 16 ounces in organic yogurt per day as well). No antifungals, though, just to be extra careful with potential die off and the baby.

So far so good. Thankful the pain is negligible at this point, thankful the UTI is (hopefully) being taken care of, thankful the baby is well, and thankful I haven’t had yeast side effects. Hopefully, the second half of the course will be more of the same 🙂

Just thought I’d update you!

Atela
    Participant
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 32

Hope;2423 wrote:
    Tricky thing is, some people think kidney stones can be brought on by a diet high in oxalates. Wish I had paid a little more attention to those things before my kidney went and got stones! Turns out I’ve been regularly consuming some of the absolute highest oxalate foods – buckwheat, spinach, peppers, and almonds. “Regularly”, as in *daily*. So, in addition to the ACD, now I’m working toward a LOD (low oxalate diet). Missing the buckwheat and the almonds is killer for me. The only grain I have left is wild rice and NO nuts or seeds :/ At least until this resolves a bit – then I’m sure I’ll have them in moderation.

I am also highly prone to kidney stones. The important candida diet protocol requires green vegetables. I’ve been adhering to this diet by consuming kale, zucchini, beet greens, green beans, snow peas, broccoflower, broccoli, cabbage, brussel sprouts baby lettuce and herb greens. Along with almond butter and buckwheat, I’m pretty sure that I consume a SIGNIFICANT amount of oxalates on a daily basis! My hope is, that I drink enough fluids to keep the oxalates moving out.

Are there any ‘candida diet’ safe suggestions for removing the oxalates from the kidneys while ingesting our lovely greens? Or are our selections of ‘candida starving’ vegetables getting narrowed down to just a few items in order to create a low oxalate diet?

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Atela;42095 wrote: I am also highly prone to kidney stones. The important candida diet protocol requires green vegetables. I’ve been adhering to this diet by consuming kale, zucchini, beet greens, green beans, snow peas, broccoflower, broccoli, cabbage, brussel sprouts baby lettuce and herb greens. Along with almond butter and buckwheat, I’m pretty sure that I consume a SIGNIFICANT amount of oxalates on a daily basis! My hope is, that I drink enough fluids to keep the oxalates moving out.

Are there any ‘candida diet’ safe suggestions for removing the oxalates from the kidneys while ingesting our lovely greens? Or are our selections of ‘candida starving’ vegetables getting narrowed down to just a few items in order to create a low oxalate diet?

Keep in mind that when Hope made that post she was ‘very’ pregnant with her baby girl, and she was not following a regular Candida ‘strict’ diet for that reason, plus Hope had experienced several other problems during her pregnancy.

The foods below supposedly have the highest amounts of oxalates:
    spinach, rhubarb, Swiss chard, beets, wheat germ, chocolate, peanuts, okra, sweet potatoes, liver, grits, grapes, green pepper, celery, strawberries and black tea.

If you have reason to believe that your oxalate level is above average, or you know that you already have a problem, then avoiding those foods altogether would make a world of difference.

As far as prevention is concerned, you’re already practicing the best form of prevention; keeping properly hydrated is by far the best. Concentrated urine, which can take place without enough hydration, is far more likely to form solid crystals than when the environment is well hydrated.

Able

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Another antibiotic – what would your game plan be?’ is closed to new replies.