An attempt at Buckwheat Pancakes

Home The Candida Forum Foods & Recipe Ideas Breakfast An attempt at Buckwheat Pancakes

This topic contains 14 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  princeofsin 7 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

sby
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 27

Hi y’all….I’d like to share a combo of ingredients I tried…the pancakes were somewhat light which surprised me. PS…this is detailed for the new cooks on the forum…it seems like there might be a few.

Use organic ingredients when possible, as per the protocol for the diet after your cleanse.

Ingredients:
    3/4 Cup buckwheat flour
    1/4 Cup coconut flour
    1/2-3/4 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2-3/4 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon sea salt
    1 teaspoon cinnamon or to taste

2 eggs (beaten in separate bowl)
    1-2 Tablespoon oil (I used olive oil)

1-2 Cups +/- unsweetened almond milk (or your choice)
    1/8-1/4 Cup +/- water
    (you can premix these two together before pouring in the batter bowl)

Topping:
    1-2 Cup(s) plain yogurt (Greek or another good one like White Mountain in Texas)
    1 Granny Smith apple finely chopped
    handful of raw, soaked and roasted or dried pecans (or another nut on the list) finely chopped
    couple light squeezes of fresh lemon juice to ‘pop’ the mixture
    little cinnamon to taste, if desired

Before I begin mixing the ingredients, I put my cast iron skillet on the stove at medium heat. I pour a little olive oil in and wipe it around the bottom with a paper towel. This way the skillet is getting to the temperature I need it to be to cook the pancakes, and the oil is warming. I also place on the counter where I’m working all the ingredients and utensils that I’ll need so I don’t have to go looking for them while I’m cooking.

Mix the two flours together well. Add the baking powder, baking soda, sea salt, and cinnamon. Mix it all together well. Slowly pour in the already beaten eggs and mix. The batter will be a little lumpy at this point. Gently add the oil while mixing a little. Slowly add the almond milk/water a little at a time and mix really well as you pour it in. Add more of the milk/water liquid if you need to…you’ll want the batter to be smoothish, but not thin. You want to be able to pour it in the skillet from the bowl or using a spoon.

Test the heat of your skillet or grill. The batter ought to sizzle slightly when you pour it in. If the skillet is too hot, turn down the heat a little at a time to the desired temperature. You don’t want the cakes to burn or overcook. I flip the pancakes once the batter is starting to show bubbles and the edges are somewhat drier then the more moist middle. I don’t leave the flipped cakes on as long as I do for the already cooked side, but make sure they do get cooked thoroughly.

Serve on a plate with a dollop or two of the yogurt mixture on each pancake. (I didn’t “stack” them.) Enjoy. Buen provecho.

Marbro
    Topics: 19
    Replies: 252

Oh god that sounds good. ill give it a try soon.

thanks for sharing.

sby

Marbro…..Thanks for reading it! I looked at several recipes and then decided to do it this way. I hope you like it when you try it.

Lauren
    Topics: 44
    Replies: 267

Sby,
    I love the details you give for this recipe! Setting things up makes things much easier. 😀 It sounds wonderful! Just one question. I do not believe we are suppose to have baking soda. Is it really needed for this recipe?
    Thank you,
    Lauren

sby

Hi Lauren,
    Thank you for your comments. I’m actually not sure about the baking soda, so you could probably try without it I imagine.
    Buen Provecho,
    sby

M
    Topics: 72
    Replies: 253

Aluminum-free baking soda is fine. Baking powder is not allowed because it contains starch. Not too sure about the pecans, or nuts in general since they may contain mold, but if you’re on stage 2 then it might be OK to test them out.

Lauren

Thank you M!! Silly me I wrote down the wrong thing. lol I meant we can’t not have baking powder. Like M said we can have aluminum free baking soda. I avoid nuts because of the mold and they are hard for many people to digest. Sorry for confusing anyone. 😀
    Lauren

Lauren

Now I am confused. I was right the first time. lol We can have baking powder that is aluminum -free. I have been using it in coconut bread and it is in the reciepe that Able gave for coconut bread. I thought we were not suppose to have baking soda. I think I will make a post somewhere else to make sure I am getting this right. lol
    Sorry for confusion,
    Lauren

deedeelovely
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 1

These. Were. Awesome!!
    I made them for me and my boyfriend this morning to celebrate making it through the week long cleanse and we poured all kindsa yogurt on them. I sweetened our yogurt with a bit of stevia and cinnamon, no apple cause were not that far along yet, but next time ill try squeezing a bit of lemon, for that *POP* you’re talkin about. ;]
    I also didnt use any baking powder and they turned out just fine. They didn’t hold together as well as the pancakes I’m used to, but still, they were warm, soft and delicious. In short: a wonderful celebratory breakfast.
    Thank you so much for sharing!!

LOVE.

jen2cor517
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 12

I made these this morning and they were good! They were savory and I topped them with a couple of over-easy fried eggs. The yolk tasted really good with them. Thanks so much for sharing!!

Jen

sby

Hi y’all…

I’m so glad to read that people are trying this recipe and enjoying the pancakes. I haven’t made them for awhile and think I will!

Baking powder can have cornstarch so I’m looking for a brand that doesn’t…will have to go to a health food store. Able mentioned a recipe earlier for baking powder that I need to find. But glad to hear the ‘cakes turned out ok without the baking powder.

Baking soda definitely can be found without aluminum included.

Here’s to healthy cooking and reading ingredient labels…it’s a great way to live!

sby

sby

deedeelovely wrote: These. Were. Awesome!!
    I made them for me and my boyfriend this morning to celebrate making it through the week long cleanse and we poured all kindsa yogurt on them. I sweetened our yogurt with a bit of stevia and cinnamon, no apple cause were not that far along yet, but next time ill try squeezing a bit of lemon, for that *POP* you’re talkin about. ;]
    I also didnt use any baking powder and they turned out just fine. They didn’t hold together as well as the pancakes I’m used to, but still, they were warm, soft and delicious. In short: a wonderful celebratory breakfast.
    Thank you so much for sharing!!

LOVE.

Hi deedeelovely,

If they were too dry to hold together, try adding a little more liquid at a time to reach the consistency you want. So glad you enjoyed them.

sby

princeofsin
    Replies: 224

Is buckwheat ok during the candida diet?

sby

Yes, buckwheat is ok. You may want to read the protocol on the forum…check the general discussion section for it or check under Able’s posts.

princeofsin
    Replies: 224

sby wrote: Yes, buckwheat is ok. You may want to read the protocol on the forum…check the general discussion section for it or check under Able’s posts.

Thank you, I will check it out :).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘An attempt at Buckwheat Pancakes’ is closed to new replies.