Acid or Alkaline?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Acid or Alkaline?

This topic contains 22 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Able900 7 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Katy Gillett wrote: Able did you read the article I posted? I realise that site is disdainful of candida and other things they deem as ‘pseduoscience’ but does that mean all its articles are not worth discussing as some things really are pseudoscience? It seems to support your theory anyway. This might sound silly… but does it not perhaps matter what type of acid you’re consuming on a regular basis for it to be a problem? Maybe that’s where the theory stemmed from… Just a thought!

Hi, Katy.

I did read the article again, even though I had read it before. I would like to address some of his comments later when I have more time. Right now, I’ll answer your question, “does it not perhaps matter what type of acid you’re consuming on a regular basis for it to be a problem?”

Outside of certain fruits, beans, animal proteins, and nuts, most acidic foods are the types of foods we do not need to be eating at all. So yes it matters and makes a lot difference, but it’s not because of the acid. The normal American diet (and possibly many other countries) contains high amounts of acidic foods, but the problem is that the most popular acidic foods seem to be the sugar-ridden and/or high carbohydrate foods such as candy, cookies, cake, ice cream, soft drinks, potatoes, bread, and so on. However, on an average basis these, eaten with control, do not lead to a Candida infestation. Furthermore, the acid is not the problem with Candida, the real problem lies in large amounts of sugar consumed in fairly short periods of time and on a continuous basis which increases the possibility for the Candida to change into a pathogen, meaning its fungal form, Candida albicans.

I’ll explain how sugar plus simple carbohydrates can cause a Candida infestation – even though the sugar is acidic:

We naturally need our immune system to be in top form in order to fight off any illness, whether it’s a disease, fungi, or viral infection, so of course in most cases it’s needed to prevent a Candida infestation. However, when we have an excess of sugar in our blood, the available insulin is tied up with the job of preventing the vitamin C in our system from moving into the white blood cells, which would lead to lower white blood cell activity. This is literally the action of rapidly shifting blood sugar levels which puts a stress on the adrenal glands. Simply stated, the result is eventually immune suppression, so this, combined with other factors such as the sugar presenting a literal feast to the already-present Candida in the system, eventually leads to a Candida albicans infestation.
    Also, it doesn’t matter whether the sugar is refined or not, because it’s the serum glucose levels that make the difference.

Of course, high doses of antibiotics will also cause an infestation by destroying the beneficial bacteria in our system which, along with the immune system, prevents the Candida from overgrowth.

Able

Able900
    Spectator

Yet another fact that I think I’ve failed to mention previously in favor of an acidic environment in the lower intestines which would benefit the treatment for Candida.

If you’ve researched Candida albicans, then you know that the fungi is known to produce ammonia; to explain the effect of the ammonia on a human body, research has documented that ammonia creates an environment which is beneficial to the growth of yeast.

For anyone with Candida, the important factor in this research is that ammonia is an alkaline gas. Why does Candida produce an alkaline substance if, according to the alkaline-environment supporters, it’s supposed create an environment harmful to their growth and existence?

Able

Katy Gillett
    Topics: 47
    Replies: 137

Able, to your knowledge is it true that protein breakdown can produce ammonia?

I also just read this in an article and I’d love to hear your comments on this:

“Many therapists recommend avoiding or eliminating yeasted breads and fermented foods from the diet, since a degree of cross-reactivity is suspected. Others argue that eating large quantities of yeast-containing foods may in fact help stimulate antibody production against Candida.”

Able900
    Spectator

Hi, Katy.

Yes it’s true that the breakdown of protein produces ammonia. That’s why a lot of people with Candida have negative reactions to high-protein foods, especially meat.

As far as yeast-containing foods stimulating antibodies to fight Candida is concerned, this is another much debated subject. I couldn’t say either way, because from what I’ve seen there’s not enough proof. But I do know I wouldn’t want to be the person who attempts to prove it.

Able

DanRead
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 5

So we need to limit our protein intake as well as that of carbohydrates? There must be a happy medium here; it was not my impression from the diet website that protein was beneficial to candida, the opposite seemed to be the case.

Able900
    Spectator

DanRead wrote: There must be a happy medium here

Hello, Dan.
    That’s correct, there is a happy medium. You can still get your protein with low-ammonia producing protein sources. These foods for the most part are eggs, yogurt, and chicken (with both the fat and skin removed). Dried beans are also a source, and could be added later after the initial part of the treatment. One normal size egg provides an average of 9 grams of protein or a range from 6 to 12.

In addition to being a definite benefit to the Candida diet, less ammonia-producing foods reduce the workload on both the liver and kidneys.

Note: The foods listed are normally rather high in moister, so this means you can eat more of these proteins than if you were eating meat as your protein source.

Able

Katy Gillett
    Topics: 47
    Replies: 137

So more ammonia producing proteins are red meats, pork, turkey (?), fish, and nuts? How about lentils? I thought these types of food were supposed to be acid forming??

Able900
    Spectator

Hi, Katy.

All proteins will produce ammonia to one degree or another when they break down, but turkey, since like chicken, it’s also categorized as a fowl, would be lower than red meat or pork. As far as fish are concerned, it’s also lower than red meat. On the other hand, lentils and nuts, since they’re not an animal protein produce a much lower amount than an animal protein. And yes, they are acidic foods, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that they produce a high amount of ammonia.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Acid or Alkaline?’ is closed to new replies.