90 Days!!

This topic contains 13 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Danny33 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

alexalgebra
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 643

Hello all! Today marks my 90th day on the quest to eradicate my candida.

For a recap of my story – basically, I spent the last year prior to these last 90 days feeling miserable and slowly becoming allergic to everything to the point where the only thing I could eat was eggs, small amounts of rice, bananas, and small amounts of rice without any reaction. My reactions would generally include extreme fatigue, to the point where I would fall asleep sitting up, and heavy brain fog. I also had a lot of anxiety, depression, and irritability.

I went to five different doctors and nobody could help. The last one finally did a stool test for me and discovered candida, which gave me a reason for my problems, but they didn’t offer a good solution. The sent me to yet another doctor who recommended the Body Ecology Diet.

I did that for the first week or two, then found this site. On the BED, I didn’t really experience much die-off, except for cravings. When I switched to the diet and protocol from this forum, I had a few days of pretty intense die-off, and a couple of rough weeks, then things started getting better. This is all chronicled at my blog, Sometimes Alex Eats.

At this point, I’m still sticking to the strict diet, 100%, aside from a stupid slip with a tea that had “natural flavors” while I was on vacation (I made a post on the forum about it called Stupid Starbucks). The only things I’ve intentionally eaten outside of the strict diet are flax seeds, pumpkin about once a month, and a little bit of non-alcohol vanilla extract which I’m pretty much weaned off of. I basically eat the same thing every day, more or less:

– breakfast of hot cereal, rotated between oat bran and buckwheat
    – veggies sauteed lightly in coconut oil for lunch with some combo of broccoli, onions, garlic, cabbage, brussels sprouts, zucchini, and whatever else is lying around
    – dinner of some kind of leafy green, usually cooked and/or blended into a soup or more sauteed veggies, with 2 eggs of some kind, maybe with a buckwheat, teff, or coconut bready thing
    – snack on coconut manna, approved bread products, homemade granola in greek yogurt, veggies throughout the day

These symptoms have disappeared either completely or almost completely:
    – irrational anxiety
    – excessive food intolerances
    – bladder/urethral pain (directly caused from eating sugar only)
    – sleeping all day
    – depression, hopelessness

These symptoms come and go, but are largely better than before:
    – soft, unformed BMs
    – undigested food in BMs
    – brain fog
    – fatigue

These are getting a lot better:
    – feeling overwhelmed
    – lack of sustained energy…I can do things for a short period of time or slowly over a sustained time, but not a lot for a long time
    – inability to sleep more than 6-7 hours a night
    – gland pain in the front of my neck
    – intermittent pain in my right hip

These are new since I started the cleanse and possibly die-off related(?):
    – white coating on tongue
    – occasional toe twitches

I’ve cut back my molyb to just 1 250mg a day, and I’ve been rotating in and out of taking capryllic acid and just doing food antifungals only. I’m taking 5 of the Megaflora 20billion probiotics a day and drinking water kefir, as well as drinking commercial dairy kefir and
    eating greek yogurt probably every other day or every 2 days (dairy still wigs me out sometimes, I can’t think about it too hard, recovering vegan I guess). Other than that I’m taking these supplements:
    – 3000mg vit c
    – 2 tabs of ashwagandha
    – 5000 biotin
    – 2 drops iodine
    – chlorophyll
    – 2000 lglutamine
    – cal/mag/zinc
    – multivitamin (I know these aren’t recommended but I’ve just been using up a bottle I had)
    – spirulina
    – 4 capsules milk thistle
    – A&D
    – pantothenic acid

I think that’s all of them.

Some things that have been extremely helpful in this process have been:

1. Learning to chew my food 30+ times with each bite.
    2. Listening to the voices of experience on this board.
    3. Staying very strict to the diet and protocol.
    4. Rotating anti-fungals.
    5. Taking a lot of vitamins.
    6. Minimizing my life stress.
    7. Pre-planning my meals each day.
    8. Having positive mindset about candida, even when it can sometimes feel like a death sentence. This is probably the best thing I’ve done.

So…go me! I wish I was cured by now, but I’m not, but let me tell you, it’s a freaking MIRACLE I’m doing as well as I am considering where I was 3 months ago. I was literally at death’s door, making plans to kill myself over this because it was too hard to get through the day with all of my food sensitivities and never knowing what food would set them off next or how long it would be before I literally couldn’t eat anything.

So thank you, everyone on this board, for all of your input and stories and hope. You have truly saved my life.

rosegarden
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 1

Hey Alex, Congratulations on your success! I have read your journal and have totally enjoyed it. It gives me so much hope that sticking to the strict diet and protocal will finally work. Keep up the updates, I’m sure that I’m not the only one that is helped by your story.

alexalgebra

rosegarden;39366 wrote: Hey Alex, Congratulations on your success! I have read your journal and have totally enjoyed it. It gives me so much hope that sticking to the strict diet and protocal will finally work. Keep up the updates, I’m sure that I’m not the only one that is helped by your story.

Thanks! I’m glad it’s helpful. Keep sticking with it!!

dvjorge
    Participant
    Topics: 283
    Replies: 1368

Stop L. Glutamine for 2 or 3 months.

Change Caprylic Acid for Lauric Acid or SF-722.

Don’t rotate the antifungal you feel is working but add a new one. For instance, Oil of Oregano, Curcumin, or Olive Leaf Extract.

This changes will speed your recover.

Jorge.

alexalgebra

dvjorge;39373 wrote: Stop L. Glutamine for 2 or 3 months.

Don’t rotate the antifungal you feel is working but add a new one. For instance, Oil of Oregano, Curcumin, or Olive Leaf Extract.

Jorge.

Leaky gut is my biggest issue and I’ve found a lot of success with the glutamine. I didn’t have much help from the oregano oil when I took it in the past. I’m going to try SF-722 when it’s available in a few weeks.

dvjorge
    Participant
    Topics: 283
    Replies: 1368

alexalgebra;39375 wrote:

Stop L. Glutamine for 2 or 3 months.

Jorge.

Leaky gut is my biggest issue and I’ve found a lot of success with the glutamine. I didn’t have much help from the oregano oil when I took it in the past. I’m going to try SF-722 when it’s available in a few weeks.

Glutamine uptake gives candida albicans resistance to antifungal agents. It also enhances the ammonia synthesis by candida albicans.

Note that I advice to stop it for a while thinking to the moment where you have eradicated most fungal colonies in the intestines. Then, it will help you to correct the leaky gut. The most important is to eliminate the fungus because leaky gut is the result of the inflammation caused by it.

Curcumin and Lauric acid are very strong antifungals. Curcumin is synergistic with fatty acids that target the ergosterol part of the cell membrane because it has different antifungal mechanism affecting not only ergosterol but different parts of the cell membrane. Same thing happens with Olive Leaf Extract.

Jorge.

Antifungal activities of origanum oil against
    Candida albicans
    Vijaya Manohar,1
    Cass Ingram,2
    Judy Gray,2
    Nadeem A. Talpur,1
    Bobby
    W. Echard,1
    Debasis Bagchi3
    and Harry G. Preuss1
    Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC; 2
    North American
    Herbs and Spices, Waukeegan, IL; 3
    Department of Pharmacy Sciences, Creighton University School of Pharmacy and AHP,
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Received 27 June 2001; accepted 14 September 2001
    Abstract
    The antimicrobial properties of volatile aromatic oils from medicinal as well as other edible plants has been recognized since
    antiquity. Origanum oil, which is used as a food flavoring agent, possesses a broad spectrum of in vitro antimicrobial activities
    attributed to the high content of phenolic derivatives such as carvacrol and thymol. In the present study, antifungal properties
    of origanum oil were examined both in vitro and in vivo. Using Candida albicans in broth cultures and a micro dilution method,
    comparative efficacy of origanum oil, carvacrol, nystatin and amphotericin B were examined in vitro. Origanum oil at 0.25
    mg/ml was found to completely inhibit the growth of C. albicans in culture. Growth inhibitions of 75% and >50% were observed at 0.125 mg/ml and 0.0625 mg/ml level, respectively. In addition, both the germination and the mycelial growth of C.
    albicans were found to be inhibited by origanum oil and carvacrol in a dose-dependent manner. Furthermore, the therapeutic
    efficacy of origanum oil was examined in an experimental murine systemic candidiasis model. Groups of mice (n = 6) infected
    with C. albicans (5 × LD50) were fed varying amounts of origanum oil in a final vol. of 0.1 ml of olive oil (vehicle). The daily
    administration of 8.6 mg of origanum oil in 100 µl of olive oil/kg body weight for 30 days resulted in 80% survivability, with
    no renal burden of C. albicans as opposed to the group of mice fed olive oil alone, who died within 10 days. Similar results
    were obtained with carvacrol. However, mice fed origanum oil exhibited cosmetically better clinical appearance compared to
    those cured with carvacrol. The results from our study encourage examination of the efficacy of origanum oil in other forms
    of systemic and superficial fungal infections and exploration of its broad spectrum effect against other pathogenic manifestations including malignancy. (Mol Cell Biochem 228: 111–117, 2001

Curcumin as a promising anticandidal of clinical interest.
    Neelofar K, Shreaz S, Rimple B, Muralidhar S, Nikhat M, Khan LA.
    Source
    Department of Biosciences, Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi 110025, India.
    Abstract
    Curcumin, an important Asian spice, is part of many Indian food preparations. This work evaluates the antifungal activity of curcumin against 14 strains of Candida (10 clinical and 4 standard). Curcumin displayed antifungal properties against all tested Candida strains, with minimum inhibitory concentrations (MICs) varying from 250 to 2000 µg·mL⁻¹. The in vitro effect of curcumin on growth, sterol content, proteinase secretion, and H+ extrusion by plasma membrane ATPase was investigated for 2 standard strains Candida albicans ATCC 10261 and Candida glabrata ATCC 90030 and compared with the effect of fluconazole. At MIC, curcumin inhibited H+ extrusion in 2 species of Candida by 42% and 32% in the absence of glucose and by 28% and 18% in the presence of glucose. Respective inhibition of H+ extrusion caused by the MIC of fluconazole was 85% and 89% in the absence of glucose and 61% and 66% in its presence. Ergosterol content decreased by 70% and 53% for the 2 strains following exposure to curcumin at MIC; comparative values for fluconazole at MIC were 93% and 98%. Curcumin and fluconazole decreased proteinase secretion by 49% and 53%, respectively, in C. albicans and by 39% and 46%, respectively, in C. glabrata. In conclusion, curcumin is found to be active against all tested clinical and standard strains but is less effective than fluconazole. Antifungal activity of curcumin might be originating from alteration of membrane-associated properties of ATPase activity, ergosterol biosynthesis, and proteinase secretion.

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Hi, Alex.
    Congratulations on reaching the three-month mark. I know that you’ve been very steady with the diet and protocol from reading your posts, so way to go on being able to accomplish that.

I’m about to send you a private message if you’ll just check your inbox when you have a chance please.

Thanks, Able

shayfo
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 668

Hooray for 90 days! Our badassery continues.

alexalgebra

Thanks shay! I like to think of us as a badass candida-fighting superhero duo…kind of like the ambiguously gay duo from SNL, except I’m not ambiguous about my gayness at all, and you’re not gay, but we still have hilarity and a theme song.

shayfo
    Replies: 668

But lots of people cautiously assume I’m gay, and I’ve been known to wear the occasional tights+leotard combination in public.

Theme song for sure, with an animated opening credits scene where cartoon versions of ourselves battle horse-sized candida cells.

alexalgebra

shayfo;39401 wrote: But lots of people cautiously assume I’m gay, and I’ve been known to wear the occasional tights+leotard combination in public.

Theme song for sure, with an animated opening credits scene where cartoon versions of ourselves battle horse-sized candida cells.

Yes! We have squirt guns modified to shoot coconut oil and garlic grenades.

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

shayfo;39401 wrote: Theme song for sure, with an animated opening credits scene where cartoon versions of ourselves battle horse-sized candida cells.

alexalgebra;39410 wrote: Yes! We have squirt guns modified to shoot coconut oil and garlic grenades.

Forget gay. You two are crazy as hell and totally cracking me up.
    Thanks!

Kag
    Replies: 402

Go Alex! Go Alex! It’s your birthday! Go Alex! Congrats dear!!

Danny33
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 362

lol, hilarious tread.

Good job Alex.
    Keep it up and keep us updated!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘90 Days!!’ is closed to new replies.