home › The Candida Forum › Foods & Recipe Ideas › Lunch & Dinner › Grilled Vegetable Fajitas with Buckwheat Tortillas and Guacamole › Reply To: Grilled Vegetable Fajitas with Buckwheat Tortillas and Guacamole
yogajedi;44479 wrote: Hi all,
ChinUp and goingnatural are right, eggs will help to bind the tortillas and prevent sticking. If you eat eggs, this will be the easiest way to prevent sticking.
Since it can be difficult finding good vegan recipes that are candida-safe, most of what I post is vegan. I find it’s a lot easier to use a vegan recipe as a starting point, then add/substitute animal ingredients, than it is to take a non-vegan recipe and try to modify it. I’ll start posting non-vegan and non-vegetarian options as well though : )
If you are using the no-egg version I posted and having problems with sticky tortillas, you can also try these things:
* extra oil in the pan like ChinUp suggested (or add oil to the batter)
* add less liquid to the batter
* add spices to the cooking oil (ground turmeric, cumin and/or paprika will hep the tortillas to slide around more easily when they’re ready to flip)
* swirl the batter over the pan to spread it out in a big circle (and get in a thin layer). You can also do this a couple times while cooking. This increases the surface area and shortens the cooking time (think how much easier it is to flip thin omelets)
* cook extra long (depending on the thickness of batter, pan temperature, thickness of pan, cooking time can vary quick a bit)
* before flipping, loosen up the bottom of the tortillas with a rubber spatula (the rubbery/flexible kind) . If you’re using a larger rubber spatula, you should be able to get underneath the entire tortilla to loosen it. If the tortillas come off the pan easily, they are ready to flip.
* last, try cooking at a higher temperature. low/med on my gas burner may be different than low/med on an electric stove
Using these tips, I’ve made over ten batches and haven’t had them stick yet. I alternate between a non-stick stir-fry pan and a non-stick griddle, depending on what’s clean/nearby.
Yeh, I’d like to try it without eggs so I will look at this very carefully next batch and hopefully I can make a functioning tortilla!