Baba Ganoush is a popular dip found throughout the regions around the Mediterranean. The luscious creaminess of roasted eggplant and the rich nuttiness of tahini (ground sesame seeds) give it a distinctive flavor. The addition of tangy lemon juice and a healthy hint of fresh garlic and parsley rounds out the flavor.
For this recipe, choose an eggplant that is firm and shiny as they tend to be less bitter.
Baba Ganoush can be made in a snap with a food processor, but if you don’t own one, you can mash everything together with a fork. The texture of the dip will be chunkier, but still delicious. Add a final garnish of fresh minced parsley, a drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of red pepper flakes (optional) and it’s ready to serve.
This light and creamy textured dip makes a perfect appetizer alongside our Quinoa and Buckwheat Crackers, an assortment of crisp crudités and olives. Ganoush can also be served an accompaniment to a savory quinoa pilaf and any grilled or roasted meats.
- 1 large eggplant, about a pound
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil, plus more for garnish
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. tahini
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp. minced fresh parsley, plus more for garnish
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (232 degrees C).
- Prick the eggplant in a few places with a fork or sharp knife, then place on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until eggplant has collapsed and pulp is soft. Cool until eggplant is easy to handle, then remove stem and skin.
- Into the bowl of a food processor, add eggplant pulp, olive oil, thinly sliced garlic, fresh lemon juice, tahini, salt and pepper. Process ingredients until smooth, about 1 minute. Add fresh minced parsley and process for another 10 seconds, just to combine.
- Serve Baba Ganoush at room temperature with a drizzle of olive oil, a garnish of fresh minced parsley and a few red pepper flakes (optional). Any remaining dip will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for several days.
This healthy dip is just the kind of food that will improve your gut health while preventing cravings for any of your old ‘unhealthy’ foods. Our Ultimate Candida Diet program contains more than 100 gluten-free, sugar-free recipes just like this, plus lots of valuable advice on symptoms, treatment options, and more. Find out more here.
Beat your candida in 60 days with this detailed 5-step program
If you're looking for a more comprehensive Candida treatment plan, check out the Ultimate Candida Diet program, written by Lisa Richards and Dr Eric Wood. This plan is based on the latest research into Candida Related Complex, and contains everything you need to know to beat your Candida overgrowth.