Almond Coconut Tart Crust
There are lots of tasty desserts to enjoy on a low sugar diet. But the first time I tried a nut-based tart crust like this, in a vegan restaurant in Vancouver, BC, I was absolutely blow away!
This tart crust can be used with many different combinations of ingredients, but one of my favorites is an avocado lime tart. The crust is just slightly sweet from the stevia, and has some wonderful nutty flavors from the almond and coconut.
The combination of the chia seeds and the flours together make for a really healthy, nutritive tart crust that you will keep coming back to. It’s low in carbohydrates, gluten-free, and even has some antifungal ingredients to help keep your gut bacteria in balance on the Candida diet.
This tart crust even freezes well, so you can make several in advance and then just add your fillings whenever you’re ready. Enjoy!
- 1 ½ cups almond flour
- ½ cup unsweetened, shredded coconut
- 1 Tbsp. chia seeds
- ½ tsp. stevia powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C). Brush a 9 inch tart pan with a removable bottom with some melted coconut oil. It is also a good idea to line the bottom of the tart pan with a piece of parchment paper cut the size of the removable bottom. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a food processor, add almond flour, shredded coconut, chia seeds, stevia powder and salt, pulse briefly to combine. In a small bowl, lightly whisk together egg and melted coconut oil. With the food processor running, pour egg mixture into the bowl and pulse only until dough begins to hold together.
- Press dough into prepared tart pan and bake for 10 to 12 minutes or just until edges of tart begin to brown. Cool before adding filling.
Recipes like this will make your recovery from Candida so much easier, faster, and more fun! Our Ultimate Candida Diet program is packed full of gluten-free, sugar-free recipes just like this one. There are more than 100 recipes in total, and they’re all perfect for the Candida diet. Learn more here.
3-Month Candida Elimination Kit Start Your 3-month Candida Cleanse
This Candida Kit contains all the supplements recommended on the Candida Diet:
- LIVER ONE to process and remove the toxins created by Candida.
- CANDASSIST to inhibit and weaken the Candida colonies in your gut.
- PROBIOTIC to replace the Candida yeast with probiotic bacteria.
Plus... the CANDIDA DIET RECIPE BOOK with 50+ low-sugar recipes
this recipe looks awesome! with the chia seeds, do they need to be soaked so that theyre gelly?
Made this last night it was very good! But I have one question that’s kind of off subject, can we have tomato’s on this diet?
Yes, tomatoes are on the list of foods to eat
Well, the liquid, the egg and the coconut oil was a few and I added some water to make the crust pliable..
Is it OK?
It was very tasty after all !!
I don’t have a 9 inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Is there an alternate which can be used? Possibly a pie pan?
You could, but the removable bottom makes the cooking process much easier and neater 🙂
Could this be frozen?
Yes it can 🙂
Are there recipes for fillings? Would love to make it but what to add? Thank you
Here you go: https://www.thecandidadiet.com/recipe/avocado-lime-tart/
I’m vegan, can I use a flaxseed egg instead of egg?
Hi Claire, I’m not sure what that will do to the consistency, but it’s worth a try 🙂
Is there a lemon version of this?
I know it’s a late reply but for a lemon filling you could use this:
2 cups of soaked and drained macadamia nuts, 1/2 cup coconut cream, zest of 1 lemon, 1/4 cup of xylitol or erythritol, 2 tbs coconut oil, 1/2 ts vanilla, 1/4 ts turmeric. Blend until smooth in a food processor and pour over base.
I then freeze it to get a solid consistency and thaw out a slice for 15 minutes before eating.