Here is a delicious gluten-free waffle recipe that you can serve for breakfast, as dessert or whenever you feel like a tasty snack! It’s low in carbohydrates, but contains lots of healthy protein and fats to keep your energy levels high.
This recipe contains no added sugars or gluten, both of which can contribute to poor gut health. I use coconut instead of regular flour, but with a little experimentation you can use alternatives like buckwheat flour too.
You can top off these waffles with some organic butter. Alternatively, (and especially if you’re on the later stages of the Candida Diet), try the Granny Smith Applesauce recipe listed further down the page. Enjoy!
- 4 egg whites
- 4 egg yolks
- ⅓ cup canned coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp. alcohol free vanilla
- ½ tsp. or 1 packet Stevia
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 4 Granny Smith apples, peeled, seeded and quartered
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- Stevia, to taste
- Cinnamon, to taste
- Preheat waffle iron according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- In a medium bowl beat egg whites until soft peaks form, set aside. In a small bowl whisk egg yolks, coconut milk, coconut oil, alcohol free vanilla and stevia, set aside.
- In a large bowl, add coconut flour, baking soda and salt, stir to combine. Add egg whites and egg yolk mixture to the coconut flour mixture, stir gently to combine, then let batter rest for 1 to 2 minutes. Pour half of the waffle batter onto a preheated waffle iron. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve waffles topped with a little butter. If you are on the later stages of the diet, try the Granny Smith Applesauce below!
- In a medium saucepan, combine apples, water and lemon juice. Simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until apples become very soft and are falling apart, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat, mash with a potato masher or pulse in a food processor for a smoother texture.
- Add stevia and cinnamon to taste. Applesauce can be stored in covered containers in refrigerator for 1 to 2 weeks.
Looking for more gluten-free, sugar-free recipes? My Ultimate Candida Diet program contains more than 50 delicious recipes, plus lots of valuable advice on which foods to eat and avoid. Find out more here.