What is adrenal fatigue?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Research What is adrenal fatigue?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  raster 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

TheChosenOne
    Participant
    Topics: 34
    Replies: 410

Adrenal fatigue or adrenal insufficiency is a term that’s used to describe the fatigue and other symptoms are caused by a poorly working adrenal glands. One of the hormones the adrenals make is cortisol. Cortisol is a glucocorticoid (steroid hormone) that increases blood sugar. Cortisol is supposed to be high in the morning and low in the evening. People who have adrenal fatigue have a low cortisol level in the morning and a higher level in the evening. This leads to a pattern in which the patient has more energy in the evening and very low energy in the morning. Symptoms are hypoglycemia, weight loss, low blood pressure and nausea, dizziness and diarrhea. People with this condition usually have salt cravings. It can cause dehydration and frequent urinating which is characterized by blueish bags under the eyes.

Most people who have candida are likely to have adrenal problems, because the adrenal glands is involved in sugar metabolism. If you cannot metabolize polysaccharides properly, these sugars will start to ferment in the bowels causing bloating and yeast overgrowth. This is especially a problem when you start to combine proteins with starches, since proteins need HCl and pepsin to be broken down, while starches need amylase.
    The causes of adrenal fatigue can be various. It can be aggravated by mental, emotional or physical stress, but this is unlikely to be the root cause. It can also be caused by poor hormone production of hormones (ACTH/CRH) in the hypothalamus. Candida can aggravate adrenal fatigue.
    The adrenals are also responsible for the adrenalin hormone. If the adrenals are stimulated (eg because of stress) and they can’t keep up with the cortisol levels, it will continue to produce adrenalin. This is the major cause of anxiety in people who have adrenal fatigue.
    How to treat adrenal fatigue?

• Eliminate caffeine
    • Some supplements like patothenic acid (B5) as well as licorice, ashwagandha and ginseng.
    • Reduce stress
    • Minor exercise (careful with this, because exercise can worsen this condition)
    • Change your sleeping pattern. Go to bed before the ‘evening energy’ comes up. This is usually around 22h30-23h.
    • Most importantly: try to understand where it comes from.

TheXtremisT
    Participant
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 126

Thanks for this, it’s definitely of concern for me.

I do get the rush of energy after being dog tired in the evening, and should try to go to sleep earlier.

I’m going to start practicing yoga, and I think that’ll help in a number of ways.

Currently, the doctor recommended I supplement with Siberian Ginseng with Licorice (which I can’t take because the tincture has alcohol in, so I am taking tablets with licorice tea), and Zinc with copper, and I’ve got DHEA at 10mg to raise my levels of this hormone and lower my cortisol. I haven’t tried it yet because I want to eliminate the candida some more first.

Wondering what else I can do, or if that is all ok?

I did supplement with B5 and Ashwaghanda a few months ago (stopped), felt the same apart from my mood improving very well initially, just like I did with the Siberian Ginseng. Eventually I returned to a normal deflated state and tired.

I just don’t want to fall back again.

TheChosenOne
    Participant
    Topics: 34
    Replies: 410

I feel that going for a walk helps very good. You might want to consider hydrocortisol.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Adrenal fatigue can be related to thyroid health. When you drain your adrenals too much, it then drains your thyroid. Your thyroid is the center of your immune system and if it becomes compromised, then your body can’t fight off infection. Supplementing with iodine should help both adrenal fatigue and your thyroid health.

Be sure to get your thyroid checked out because its more important than your adrenals.

-raster

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘What is adrenal fatigue?’ is closed to new replies.