VSL#3 Probiotic okay?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions VSL#3 Probiotic okay?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Canish 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Canish
    Participant
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 14

I have been looking for the most powerful probiotic possible,
    and ended up looking at VSL#3, it contains:

Bifidobacterium breve
    Bifidobacterium longum*
    Bifidobacterium infantis*
    Lactobacillus acidophilus
    Lactobacillus plantarum
    Lactobacillus paracasei
    Lactobacillus bulgaricus
    Streptococcus thermophilus

450 Billion Live Bacteria

http://www.vsl3.com/default.asp

Is it worth buying? Its quiet expensive.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I would start at a much lower dosage myself, maybe something like 30-50 billion at first once a day. Then move up to twice a day, and then three times a day. Then once that bottle is up, move to the 80 billion…1x, 2x, and 3x a day. After that if you can get something stronger like in the 100 billion range that’d be just fine.

The problem with taking such a large dose of probiotics is that it could cause immediate side effects such as debilitating die-off, IBS, constipation, things like that. I am unsure of all of the side effects of using too much probiotic, but its worth researching.

Some side effects include unhealthy metabolic activities, too much stimulation of the immune system, or gene transfer to name a few.

It also clearly states that it should only be taken under the supervision of a doctor/physician and there probably is a reason for this.

You also may want to consider a prebiotic before a probiotic, which will setup the body better for a probiotic:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prebiotic_(nutrition)

I took a prebiotic called HMF forte which contains human micro flora, which binds to the intestinal walls better than any other prebiotic/probiotic. You might want to consider this first before starting probiotics.

Eating kefir is one way to add probiotics to your diet and this can be made at home.

-Raster

Canish
    Participant
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 14

I see, thanks for the quick reply!

Ill follow your instructions then.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘VSL#3 Probiotic okay?’ is closed to new replies.