- November 16, 2012 at 9:17 am #91832
OnoliciousMemberTopics: 4Replies: 2
Here’s another recipe for those vegan members like me also trying to combat candida! The inspiration for this recipe came from a healthy alfredo sauce that Dr. Oz featured on his show a while back. Cauliflower as the base for the “cheesy sauce” seems unlikely but is extremely healthier than its dairy counterpart and works surprisingly well!
VEGAN KABOCHA, LEEK & FENNEL GRATIN
- 1 head cauliflower
- 4 shallots, chopped
- 1/2 to 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 kabocha pumpkin (can also substitute with butternut squash) peeled, cut and sliced into ¼” thick pieces
- 1 bulb fennel, sliced
- 1 large leek, white and light green parts, sliced into ¼” strips
- 3 T chopped chives
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Steam cauliflower until soft (about 20 minutes.) Set aside.
- Saute shallots until soft. Add stock and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- In a blender, puree the cauliflower and sautéed shallots and stock mixture. (Be careful if it’s hot-off-the-stove!) The results should be slightly thicker than applesauce. (If using butternut squash instead of kabocha, you may want it to be even thicker still as butternut squash tends to have more moisture than kabocha.) Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Sautee the fennel and leek in olive oil (about 20 minutes.) Add chopped chives and sauté for another minute or so. Set aside.
- In a large baking pan, layer the kabocha or squash slices out evenly. Evenly layer the sautéed leek and fennel atop the kabocha. Pour the cauliflower puree over the top, and spread out in an even layer.
- Cover with foil and bake in a preheated 400 degree (Farenheit) oven for about 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake another 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let rest about 15 minutes before eating.)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.