The Grains Debate

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions The Grains Debate

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Katy Gillett 8 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Katy Gillett
    Topics: 47
    Replies: 137

Hi all,

After reading various comments in the forum I’m raaather confused. So let me get this straight – grains including quinoa, brown rice, millet and amaranth will slow your progress down? Does this mean we should only cut these out if we want to speed the process up or is it vital to cut these out for a while at first? To be honest I don’t mind a slower process if it means including grains as I can’t live off animal protein (I *just* became non veggy for this diet) and just veg for that long.. but is this ok?

I’ve also been looking at GI rates in foods and for instance wholemeal spaghetti has a much lower GI than millet. So what is this about. Sorry if I’m being a bit dense but I’m quite new to this stuff and it’s taking a while to soak in.

One more thing – can we eat tofu?

Hope
    Topics: 22
    Replies: 187

Hi, Katy 🙂 It theoretically *will* speed up your candida die-off and progress if you stay away from grains. HOWEVER, speeding up die-off is not a good idea for everyone. If you’re already dealing with die-off, cutting grains now will just make it worse. I like to aim for a slow and steady die-off, to avoid huge amounts of toxins being released at once. It’s wise to limit the number of grain servings you have each day, but *many* anti-candida diets (including this one here on thecandidadiet.com) allow grains. A good rule of thumb is 2-3 small servings per day and not all at once. Veggies should still be the predominant food in pretty much every meal.

I couldn’t nix the grains completely. My energy levels were just waaaaay too low. I’m not officially hypoglycemic, but my blood sugar does tend to be low – I needed a combo of grains and protein at least 1x/day to feel relatively normal.

There’s Glycemic Index and then there’s Glycemic Load. Most diets take the GL into account more than they do the GI. There are other factors, too, like potential allergens (a bigger concern for those with leaky gut) and gluten content that sme believe makes a “sticky” environment in the gut that exacerbates yeast growth.

Not everyone will want to/need to research a lot. Able and I have had mitigating circumstances that have caused us to delve further into the information out there. I’d encourage you to keep reading, but not at a feverish, panicked pace. I really believe that trying to keep our stress down and our outlook positive is a large part of the battle against candida – and I’m not coming from a New Age or Eastern philosophy with that. I just mean from a medical standpoint. We don;t understnad it fully, but our brains and thought patterns greatly influence our health and ability to heal. SO, the last thing we want to do is get all worked up and stressed about our diets. Just keep learning steadily, and keep paying attention to what’s going on in your own body.

For me, soy is out. Different diets allow different things (nearly all stay away from *fermented* soy, though). I’m not including many of the major allergens like dairy, soy, corn, wheat (of course). But I am including major allergens like eggs & nuts. I felt like I needed the eggs & nuts to help me get through this diet with a healthy pregnancy. It was a call I made. We all have to just make calls, based on what we’ve learned, and roll with it. Do keep learning steadily, though. Making calls w/o a good knowledge basis, as Able has pointed out, can really hinder progress.

Hope this helps 🙂

Katy Gillett
    Topics: 47
    Replies: 137

I annoyingly just posted a huge reply to you and then the internet messed up and all was lost :S…

Basically thank you very much for replying Hope. It is all very confusing; for instance my auntie, who introduced me to candida after she had gone through the same thing, told me to follow Erica White’s Beat Candida Cookbook religiously and she allows wheat, grains, beans etc. etc.

Then I read the Yeast Connection Handbook by Dr William Crook and he says as long as you can tolerate yeast you can even eat bread etc.!! (which made no sense to me whatsoever!).

I understand why you are much more careful, so I think I will follow your advice. To be honest I feel fine without grains everyday and I live mainly of fish, yoghurt, chicken and vegetables at the moment but its nice for a change and I can’t afford the meat all the time. Also its handy for breakfast as I’ve been eating buckwheat porridge (which is ridiculously bland but filling).

In terms of intolerances I was told years ago that I had a problem with the nightshade family and soya (so tofu is out for me anyway I guess). I’ve noticed I slowly became more and more intolerant to dairy over the years I ignored the diet but I can still seem to stomach plain greek yoghurt which I’m happy about.

The weird thing is before I started the diet I couldn’t handle any oils; nuts, avocados, olive oil etc. nor eggs, but these seem to be going down easier these days luckily.

Anyway I guess it is all just a learning process so I’ll keep following the forum and keep reading like you suggested. But this forum really really helps so again, thank you very much for replying.

Oh.. another thing I found interesting today.. I was on a long photo shoot and the only thing there to eat was a big treasure chest full of fruit so I had to cave and eat a green apple or I would have surely fainted. The reaction I had to this was pretty bad!!! On the bright side it has confirmed the diet is doing something :).

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘The Grains Debate’ is closed to new replies.