success story!

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  janemadi 6 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

janemadi
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 1

Hi everyone,

I felt compelled to post on this website because I’ve spent so much time researching and browsing here over the past year. You guys have provided me with lots of helpful info, so I feel I owe it to this community to share my experience. I’m hopeful that what worked for me will also work for you.

Long story short, I started having problems with candida a couple years ago. One year ago I figured out that it was a candida issue and I began making the necessary changes. I did the diet, cleanses and took a variety of antifungals. I even did a special cleanse under the supervision of my doctor who claims to have had lots of success clearing up candida problems.

The problem is that all of these efforts only seemed to manage the problem. As long as I was strictly monitoring my diet, I would be fine w/ few symptoms and flare ups, but as soon as I slipped up in my diet it appeared I was right back at square one. In other words, I didn’t seem to be making any long term headway.

Then I started having random bouts of nausea after eating, and it took me a couple months of progressively worsening bouts to figure out what was triggering them. It turns out that the seemingly random list of foods that were bringing about the nausea had one characteristic in common: They were all very high oxalate foods. Spinach, almonds, chia seeds, sweet potato, etc. I started cutting out high oxalate foods and limiting medium oxalate foods and the nausea totally went away. By the way, at this point I had ceased all candida protocols, mostly out of frustration.

Anyway, the point of this story is that being on the low oxalate diet for just a few weeks totally cleared up my candida symptoms. Out of both curiosity and disbelief, I even tried pushing my body and trying foods that used to cause horrible candida flare ups (beer, sweets, etc) and… nothing, no reaction.

Of course the unexpected resolution of a health problem that I thought was totally unrelated to the one I was trying to address caught me off guard, so I’ve been doing some research to try to understand the mechanism behind my healing.

It turns out that low oxalate diets have proven very helpful in treating children with autism. Incidentally, autistic children frequently suffer from chronic candida problems, which tend to clear up on the low oxalate diets. A researcher named Susan Owens explains the possible link between oxalates and candida this way:

[indent]”Candida is killed by releasing excess calcium intracellularly which is
    taken up by their mitochondria, probably inducing cell death.

This increase of calcium can occur by various means, like having nystatin
    punching holes in the cell membrane, but oxalates, by binding that calcium,
    may prevent cell death.

This may explain the relationship between having high oxalates and being
    less able to defend against candida.”[/indent]

I took this from a document she posted in the files section of a yahoo group that called “Trying Low Oxalates”, which I would highly recommend joining if you even have a hint of interest in what I’m telling you.

Anyway, I’m sure some reading this will think I’m making things up or that my experience was mere coincidence, but I’m sharing it with the hopes that some of you who are experiencing frustration like I was will give it a chance for a couple weeks and try going low oxalate. It’s not a difficult change to make, and it really could make all the difference.

Here’s to a light at the end of the tunnel!

Jane Madison

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Thank you for sharing your story. I found a link that shows high and low oxalate foods:

http://www.ohf.org/docs/OxalateContent092003.pdf

Out of my diet, buckwheat and rutabega are relatively high oxalate foods.

I am interested in trying this but I don’t seem to feel bad or anything like that with high oxalate foods. I also don’t seem to be eating many…

I am rather allergic to many low oxalate foods so am unsure if this will do anything either way.

-raster

MarkHolland

Thanks a lot for sharing this story.

ChinUp
    Topics: 7
    Replies: 24

Thanks for sharing, Jane. Are you still on this diet?

Thanks for that link Raster. I’m going to start trying to cut out some of the higher oxelates and see if it helps at all. I eat a lot of the greens included in that list. If I see an improvement, then I’ll cut out even more.

Edit: Just noticed that the link on that site was from 2003. Here is a document from 2008 from the same site:

http://www.ohf.org/docs/Oxalate2008.pdf

janemadi

I am still eating low oxalate for the most part, but I’m not being extremely strict about it. Mostly I’m just avoiding high oxalate foods. I’m not having any candida symptoms, and I’m not eating low carb/sugar at all. (Definitely not bragging about that because I’d like to eat healthy even when candida isn’t forcing me to, but I think I’m just enjoying the freedom a little too much right now. Hopefully I’ll start practicing healthier eating habits soon…)

I also wanted to mention that there are lots of lists out there and the way they categorize the oxalate content of foods varies widely. I read somewhere that it’s because the process they use to test food has improved over time, so some foods that tested initially one way are now testing another. I’ve heard the example of blueberries – apparently, they were thought to be high oxalate for a long time, but were recently retested and deemed low or moderate (I can’t remember which). So pay attention to the source of the lists that you use and when they were published. Apparently the most current research is being done by the Vulvar Pain Foundation b/c oxalates are a cause of vulvar pain. From what I understand, they sell a cookbook that has a pretty exhaustive list in it. I didn’t end up ordering the cookbook because I experience positive results without having to get really strict about the diet, so the lists offered by the yahoo group I mentioned in my original post were sufficient. Btw, that group also has some info on supplements to take while trying to rid your body of oxalates. Admittedly, I was also pretty lax about that part. I purchased calcium citrate and magnesium citrate, and have taken them on and off, so they may have contributed to my success, but I can’t say for sure.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘success story!’ is closed to new replies.